Author Topic: Good afternoon  (Read 93 times)

Offline baloo

• Just joined!
    • W Midlands
    • View Profile
Good afternoon
« on: September 01, 2020, 05:41:36 PM »
thought id better say hello,  my name is Andy and im in redditch which is just south of birmingham,  ive always messed with cars  ever since i left school  used to be into offroad but now more into buggies
well anyway i was gifted an RX8  a couple of years ago  its was difficult to start when it hot  but once it was running it ran fine   since then  ive  er just parked it outside the workshop   now it wont start at all but will look into that soon ...    but  being a buggy man its where its going to end up   simplified i was thinking of using the front and rear subframes and the drive train  connected by a space frame  and away we go.. yes i know theres a bit more to it than that  but you get the drift   so  hello all ....

Offline baloo

• Just joined!
    • W Midlands
    • View Profile
Re: Good afternoon
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 05:48:14 PM »
  whilst  i  was waiting  to get round to getting the RX8 running again  another  8 arrived  no engine and box but it had complete axles at both ends  so i whipped them out along with the steering column pedals and seats  thought it would give me a head start as i dont want to strip mine till its all up and running again ,   to make life easier i rolled it on its side to remove the subframes  once they were out  i thought i may as well make a copy of the subframe mounting points for use later ,

Andy

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 08:35:41 PM »
 :welcome: Andy
I'm guessing you know a mate of mine called John French.

Whoops just realised I hadn't answered  his text about wheel bearings for you.

These would be Mazda only parts and it will be cheaper to buy complete used shafts. Worth knowing I’ve never know one to die yet, and I put 500bhp through the ones on the race car.
Keep us posted on your progress

Just thought , I'm sure RX-7FD ones are the same so Craig who does the V8 conversions may be able to help with the drive shafts

« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 08:40:03 PM by clive »
All the best Clive

Offline baloo

• Just joined!
    • W Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 07:57:25 PM »
Hi Clive

yes i know John   for a very long time,  dont worry about the wheel bearings  it was just i have the axles stripped on the bench and thought it might be a good time to replace  but i cant see anything wrong with them so may as well re use what i have..
will start a build thread if anyone is interested ?   might be quiet for a spell as i need to get the subframes shot blasted next ...   cant be doing with working with grubby bits lol