Author Topic: New face on an historic quest  (Read 270 times)

Offline Markbev

• Just joined!
    • West Sussex
    • View Profile
New face on an historic quest
« on: June 09, 2020, 12:33:34 PM »
Greetings to the Forum.

My name's Mark, and although I don't have a rotary Mazda, I do have an unhealthy love/hate relationship with unusual, historic Japanese race cars.
Whilst looking for a possible new project, I've been drawn to the RX3s that raced in the British Saloon Car Championship from 1974 to half way through 77.
The main protagonists were Barrie Williams in a Castrol entered car, and Wendy Markey in the family owned Arian prepped car.
As was common in those days, many other drivers had brief forays in these or privately entered RX3s, included were..

John Burbidge
John Sheldon
Brian Muir
Peter Slade
Dave Brodie
Tom Hunt
John Brindley
Roger Dowe

My question to the Forum is.....Did any of these old Group 1½ cars survive? If so, does anyone know of their whereabouts?

All the best, Mark

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
Re: New face on an historic quest
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 07:42:07 PM »
Hello Mark and  :welcome: to Mazdarotaryclub

The only one I know of is the ex Mark Hales car that ran in the early 1980's and it is up for sale (the white car below)

I am guessing you would like the picture I put up in our "Quick Pic" thread where you will find many old skool pictures plus up to date Rotarys.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 07:43:41 PM by clive »
All the best Clive

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 11:09:20 AM »

this car Clive talking about...
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi.  EX Track car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Markbev

• Just joined!
    • West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 02:23:39 PM »
Thanks guys

Indeed, the ex Hales car is quite a weapon isn't it?  A lot of time and money has been spent taking it way above and beyond Group 1½.
It's quite a common thing to see in elderly race cars where over the years they've evolved into fire breathing hot rods, but sadly have lost a lot of originality in the process.
The Group 1(½) scene is really strict with it's regs, just as it was in the 70s, which means door cards, dash boards, bumpers, original size wheels and suspension layouts etc.....

…..consequently it's often considerably easier and cheaper to bring a (complete) basket to Gp 1 than to 'dumb down' a Gp 4 back to Gp 1

Love to have a crack in the Hales car though, but sadly budget and b**ls won't allow it!

Keep 'em peeled.....somewhere out there there's a piece of Mazda's Group 1 history under an old dust sheet!

ATB Mark