Author Topic: Fated to meet Mazda Motorsports USA  (Read 841 times)

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
Fated to meet Mazda Motorsports USA
« on: January 04, 2020, 10:02:52 PM »
Wow this was a strange catalog of events over the last few days.

Lisa and myself went to Florida for Christmas and at the last minute just before we left she changed from going to Cocoa Beach to Daytona and this started a stage series of events.

Next as we were staying across the road from the Stadium Lisa said about going on a tour around the “empty” stadium and I said no, but we still went!

On the tour I heard that the IMSA cars were qualifying for the Daytona 24 hours on the Friday but we were coming home on the Friday so I wasn’t going to go to that either!

Next on the Thursday night we went into a full restaurant that was full so we walked out but then decided to go back and wait and then bizarrely four of the Mazda Motorsports Team members sat in the next booth behind us ! Me being me, I had to have a chat with them and this resulted in them telling us, that we simply had to pay them a visit at the track before going home.

We arrived just half an hour before the cars we due on track and was amazed at the size of the Mazda Motorsports Joest team with four large FI style artic that are so much longer than we see in Europe.

I was supprised that this close to the off that the Team Manager Brad who is an ex-Rotary Racer took time out to show me around the cars in the garage and then inside the trailers to show me how the whole operation comes together on race day, to give you an idea of amount of personnel he showed me the station for the 100+ Walkie talkies that are used during the races.

After this Marc who oversees the team and is a Joest director of Joest who runs the team on behalf of Mazda took us to the command center and chatted about racing for 20 minutes or so.

Huge thanks to the guys who made us so welcome but how bizarre that we ended up at the track with Mazda and we didn’t even know they were going to be there.

Best of all the cars have just qualified 1st and 2nd for the race at the end of the month.
https://www.facebook.com/mazdamotorsport
https://www.facebook.com/mazdamotorsport/videos/774548756392993/

Didn’t believe in fate, but I suppose I will have to now ;)   

« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 10:50:51 PM by clive »
All the best Clive

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • View Profile
Re: Fated to meet Mazda Motorsports USA
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 09:22:24 AM »
WoW! awesome...the stars were aligned for that.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi.  EX Track car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline rote8

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 03:15:14 PM »
Couldn't have happened to a more appropriate or nicer person.  :13: Oh! except me perhaps :)).
Finance dictated it had to go 13 months ago,  after 14 years in an RX8 regretted ever since.

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 06:19:44 PM »
Couldn't have happened to a more appropriate or nicer person.  :13: Oh! except me perhaps :)).

Thanks Ray, but you must be confusing me with someone else  :D :D :D
All the best Clive

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 06:25:34 PM »
On a more serious note and something I cant put on FaceBook.

On a plus side, they have also qualified 1 & 2 in the night session, on the down side, both of the guys running the team told me they don't expect to finish the 24 hours and are already looking to the 12 hour races as the engine is simply too fragile. The team manager lamented with me in that, if only it could be a Rotary!
All the best Clive

Offline DaveCollins

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 11:24:06 PM »
I am glad you got that opportunity Clive, I am sure you made the most of it and enjoyed yourself.

The cars were running strong at the end of last season and the Multimatic input is clearly having a beneficial effect.  I understand the Joest contract runs out after Sebring and it is mainly Multimatic doing all of the technical work for Mazda.

The cars were fast for last year's Daytona but did not last so it sounds like it may be the same story this year.  Hopefully Mazda will get a lot of good PR from it anyway to justify the investment.

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 06:58:11 AM »
I wonder what happens now, cause FIA rules are changed now and they could run Rotary on those things...
Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/japi_laukkanen/library/Japi?sort=3&page=1

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 08:24:07 AM »
Thanks Dave and Jarno.

I actually got a huge amount of information in a short space of time and they did tell me their goal is to align either way with LMPS rules to get back to Le Mans. So surprised how candid and open these guys were with me.   
All the best Clive

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 08:46:59 AM »
Just seen the white car set the unofficial lap record.

They told me proudly, we have one of the cars in white this year, my response was ahh but you still need some blue on the car like the Le Mans car  :D :D   
All the best Clive

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 10:46:30 AM »
All the best Clive

Offline DaveCollins

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 05:04:34 PM »
I understand that there are probably more active discussions than ever going on about an alignment between ACO/FIA/IMSA rules.  In the past these have always led nowhere for the top class of prototype cars.  IMSA are due to have DPI 2.0 for 2022(?) and FIA/ACO are aiming for a new LMP class to follow on from hypercars, whicg are seen as a stepping stone to newer technology e.g. Hydrogen power.  Big problem appears to be only a small amount of interest in electrification by IMSA entrants and US motor industry whereas major brands in ACO/FIA need to ensure that their PR budgets (which pay for motorsport) are used to promote new energy sources and not fossil fuel.

If anyone is interested in following discussions on these topics then I would suggest the Marshall Pruett podcasts "The week in Sportscars" and "Inside the sportscar paddock".  These cover all ACO rules racing e.g. WEC/ALMS/ELMS and IMSA series and the crossover between them.

Dave

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 11:05:08 AM »
I understand that there are probably more active discussions than ever going on about an alignment between ACO/FIA/IMSA rules.  In the past these have always led nowhere for the top class of prototype cars.  IMSA are due to have DPI 2.0 for 2022(?) and FIA/ACO are aiming for a new LMP class to follow on from hypercars, whicg are seen as a stepping stone to newer technology e.g. Hydrogen power.  Big problem appears to be only a small amount of interest in electrification by IMSA entrants and US motor industry whereas major brands in ACO/FIA need to ensure that their PR budgets (which pay for motorsport) are used to promote new energy sources and not fossil fuel.

If anyone is interested in following discussions on these topics then I would suggest the Marshall Pruett podcasts "The week in Sportscars" and "Inside the sportscar paddock".  These cover all ACO rules racing e.g. WEC/ALMS/ELMS and IMSA series and the crossover between them.
Dave

Thanks Dave. The guys did explain the huge amount of politics that are going on on both fronts!.
It was also joked that the ACO have never forgiven Mazda for winning Le Manns  ;) 
All the best Clive

Offline DaveCollins

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 07:53:36 PM »
This weeks "Week in Sports Cars" podcast discussed why the Mazda engine was unlikely to last 24 hours.  Basically they said that all the DPI engines are making around the same horsepower (600?) from different engine architecture.  Mazda with 2.0l 4 cylinder, Cadillac 5.5l V8, Accura 3.5l V6.  Mazda is making more BHP per cylinder and thus the motor is highly stressed.  View was 12 hours is OK and they would be keeping their fingers crossed after that.

Dave

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 08:12:32 PM »
Thanks for the update Dave.

Yes they explained to me that the thing is so highly stressed, the slightest thing that goes wrong, the thing grenades itself  ???

Mind you when you see the amount of systems, plumbing etc that's around and on the engine you start to understand why. With no clothes on up close the car looks just as complicated as an FI car if not even more so.

I am surprised that now in their third year that they have not been able to address weaknesses  of the engine, when you think many other road car derivatives with 4 cylinder engines can produce this sort of power. 

I actually asked if they were bringing in upgrades and quite openly told me they had nothing on the cards which they know surprised me!         
All the best Clive

Offline DaveCollins

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 11:28:04 PM »
This could be the start of seeing Mazda back at Le Mans.  Convergence between ACO/IMSA at last.  Lets hope it works out for 2021/2022 season.  I reckon Le Mans 2023 could be a very special race.  Celebrating 100 years of the great race plus the possibility of the best top class for years.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/01/24/imsa-aco-agree-route-to-top-class-prototype-convergence.html