Author Topic: All great things have a beginning  (Read 1937 times)

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
Re: All great things have a beginning
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2019, 05:42:56 PM »
Mr  eobe  here  ;) , see Jon, I told I get called lots of things  :D :D.

Anyway, with sensible hat back on. I still have an NC rack in the garage and found like you, it would not fit.

As Jon say's search the race car thread as details are in there. Once I sussed out how the RX-8 rack worked it was an easy conversion and just a matter of making a sleeve  to stop the worm drive working.

Coils, if you remember I was running stock RX-8 coils and my mapper of the time kept saying that the coils were why it would not map properly---------wrong, the AEM coils made no difference !!!

So it may save you money to run the RX-8 coils. Also Pip and myself uncovered something weird when he took over.  I was using the full function wheel but also took an RX 8 wheel, an FD wheel and a wheel I had modified. we ran the car up with different wheels attached and bizarrely it made no difference, yet again know this may save you money.           
All the best Clive

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2019, 05:47:11 PM »
Trigger wheels ahhh...i was thinking steering wheels lol.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2019, 06:15:21 PM »
Mr  eobe  here  ;) , see Jon, I told I get called lots of things  :D :D.

Anyway, with sensible hat back on. I still have an NC rack in the garage and found like you, it would not fit.

As Jon say's search the race car thread as details are in there. Once I sussed out how the RX-8 rack worked it was an easy conversion and just a matter of making a sleeve  to stop the worm drive working.

Coils, if you remember I was running stock RX-8 coils and my mapper of the time kept saying that the coils were why it would not map properly---------wrong, the AEM coils made no difference !!!

So it may save you money to run the RX-8 coils. Also Pip and myself uncovered something weird when he took over.  I was using the full function wheel but also took an RX 8 wheel, an FD wheel and a wheel I had modified. we ran the car up with different wheels attached and bizarrely it made no difference, yet again know this may save you money.         
Did you just swap the wheels around and used the same pick up? I'm looking at getting the hall effect sensor as it is far superior than a mag aparently.

I'm swapping my engine front cover from an FD front cover too an FC front over so that I can bolt an FC sump straight up instead of having to custom make one.

Therefore a can buy the FFE trigger wheel kit which bolts straight up however I already know it won't work with my side mount alternator

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 12, 2019, 08:47:50 PM »
For anyone that wants to know, Clive Post about depowering the rack is on reply 1492...... Yeh I just scrolled through the whole thread to find it

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2019, 08:49:28 PM »
Give me a rough idea, need to get a rack and stick it in. Just so it holds the wheels straight and then pull it in bits

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 14, 2019, 01:53:31 PM »
Back on the ground so I threw the engine in

Couple of issues even though the gone isn't in its final resting place,

The chassis support piece has to go, it's blocking room for the most important bit in the engine bay, the turbo.

Fuel rail is hitting the clutch master cylinder possibly going to have to source a different intake manifold, most likely and FC LIM with an adapter plate to fit an FD UIM, that should give me clearence as I know this manifolds will sit much lower than mine.

ABS is in the way, wanted to try keep it but guess I'm going to have to remove it.

My turbo manifold needs modifying, I knew it would as I had it made when I was trying to build my rx4, I still have some bends left etc so will be also moving the wastegat to a different location most likely on the bottom of the manifold to make more room up top.

Just look at the last picture! I know standard mx5s are shocking at ground clearence but just look at the gap I have there now, I still have to throw in the gear box and turbo so it will drop a little bit, oh and the clutch but damn there's a lot of nose weight I must have taken out

Final point, picking a rotatt engine up on your own isn't what I advise anybody to do, they're heavier then you think

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
« Reply #156 on: October 14, 2019, 03:27:57 PM »
Can you not drop the engine 15mm as it looks like it would then clear, also the plenum  should be able to be cut and modded  OK.

I shifted the engine three times up n down before I was happy.

You probably  know this,  but make your new further forward cross member and get it in place before cutting out the old one as you may end up with wibbly wobbly chassis legs.   
All the best Clive

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2019, 03:53:30 PM »
The engine is sat as low as possible, its sat on the subframe currently.

The plenym can be changed easily but it's the fuel rail that's hitting the clutch master.

If I got a pedal box I suppose  that would remove the issue bit I'd rather not get into sorting all that kind of stuff just right now.

Do you know if kev is still around?

I could really do with someone that has a stash of parts so I can swap and change things to see what fits

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2019, 03:58:42 PM »
I will take a better picture of it as I didn't realise how dark the picture was

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2019, 04:26:28 PM »
Now if I lift the engine and square it up I think I might be able to get the fuel line around the back of it so we shall see.

I think I'm going to try leave that chassis support in there and work around it, going to have to lift the turbo up anyway. My exhaust piping is right at the back of the damned garage though so going to have to climb over all my rubbish to get to it plus I can get to use my divided stainless flange instead of the single entry I previously used.

Turbo might poke out of the bonnet a little

Offline Paul_13

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Knight of the rotor table
    • Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 14, 2019, 04:31:16 PM »
Can you not spin the fuel rail 180' and have the connection end towards the front of the car?

Or is there connections both ends? Surely you can get a custom rail.

"turbo might poke out of the bonnet slightly" :D

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 04:33:12 PM by Paul_13 »

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2019, 04:33:06 PM »
Can you not spin the fuel rail 180' and have the connection end towards the front of the car?

Let me take some pictures of the whole thing as it easier to see why I can do it rather than explain.

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 14, 2019, 04:46:25 PM »
As you can see, 2 fuel rails

Need to run fuel line from tank to one rail and then to the other and then to the FPR etc or which ever way it goes to the FPR then return line

Because of the manifold I have that stupid fuel rail on the outside which is not what I want ideally as its going to be right next to the exhaust.

Originally I thought I was going to be getting an FD motor but I ended up with this which has S4 13BT irons I believe, FD housings and rotors and for whatever daft reason the primary fuel ports on the centre plate have been blocked up so I can't even use them for mounting Injectors

not knowing that the bolt patterns on this engine is different to an FD so I can't even use readily available aftermarket parts etc

ANYWAY......

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 14, 2019, 04:48:12 PM »
If someone wants to buy me this it will solve any issues

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123641570789

Offline Paul_13

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Knight of the rotor table
    • Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 14, 2019, 04:49:40 PM »
Be careful of that roof in your shed!