Author Topic: Westory Progress.  (Read 120263 times)

Offline Westory

• Just joined!
    • North Devon
    • View Profile
Re: Westory Progress.
« Reply #2835 on: July 10, 2020, 11:12:49 PM »
Could an SSV valve stuck closed cause me any overheating/limp mode issues? It was hard to turn by hand before I cleaned it, now its silky smooth and free moving. Aldo could this cause troublesome starting issue as I have hasmd a couple of random hard to start situations. The other times I could leave it a week and it would fire straight up. If the ssv was stuck open would that hinder startup?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: July 11, 2020, 12:19:19 AM »
That ssv if mingeing...i must admit ive got no experience of removal of ssv. .as had no problems....was it carbon build up?
Axle. Unfortunately you have to pull the half shafts in order to pull out the diff.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi.  EX Track car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: July 11, 2020, 12:25:23 AM »
Mmmm. Im wondering if that is carbon...then engine may be carbon'd up...poor starting.
Youve done alot more road miles than me...id pull back the premix dosage if using on road.

EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Westory

• Just joined!
    • North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: July 11, 2020, 07:51:29 AM »
Yeah im going to change both half shafts and bearings anyway. If I remove the prop bolts, radius arms each side and panhard rod im hoping i can lower front of the axel down away from the prop to allow the diff to come out. Otherwise I'll have to get some extra hands and take the whole axel out through a wheel arch

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: July 11, 2020, 01:43:09 PM »
I just dropped it out on trolley jack..could be doable in car swing in down.

EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Westory

• Just joined!
    • North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: July 12, 2020, 07:41:51 PM »
So set about getting the diff out today.

Drained the diff oild which has done approx 250 miles and a few laps of Combe but noting too hard. Its minging and very metallic so thinking somethings let go

Offside shaft wasn't playing ball and when it finally came out it left the bearing and collar in the axel. Bit of heat and persistence it came out.

Managed to remove the diff by leaving the shocks still attached and tilting it down.

So diff is out, nothing obviously wrong. Backlash and preload both feel good. Turns nice and freely with no odd noises or crunching.

I'm starting to wonder if the wheel bearing collar had separated and that was the metallic slapping noise I could hear?

There is metal swarf where the half shafts go into the diff.

Just eating some much needed food then going out to have a proper look at the shaft and collar to see if I can see anything obvious.

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: July 12, 2020, 08:24:17 PM »
Crownwheel looks fine...
I welded the collars prob 5 years ago...to secure the halfshafts.
Didnt go crazy welding blobs so stood a chance of getting off in future. Run the collar back up shaft..if it loose thats your noise but i thought they were interfence fit..

EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Westory

• Just joined!
    • North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: July 12, 2020, 09:00:10 PM »
Its got some pretty substantial score marks on the inside? Its a tight fit on the shaft, would need to press it on to get it back to where it should have been

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
« Reply #2843 on: July 13, 2020, 06:51:23 AM »
As Jon said, you can reuse the coller up behind the bearing, but you must put a blob of weld on it, because with an english axle on slicks the half shaft will litterally pull out of the axle
All the best Clive

Offline Westory

• Just joined!
    • North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: July 13, 2020, 08:07:44 AM »
Thanks Clive

I have new bearings and washers here so can press them on. Thinking about it the score marks are probably just where the collar was pressed on the shaft and I may not have been completely smooth.

The shaft bearing felt smooth with no play prior to removing it so not convinced it was the collar I could hear as I only noticed the noise under cruising conditions.

Just checked the backlash and its too high despite feeling OK. Its around 0.015, think it should be between 0.005-0.007, need to double check this to confirm

Offline Westory

• Just joined!
    • North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: July 13, 2020, 08:09:10 AM »
Looks more like 0.015 when viewed straight on

Offline Westory

• Just joined!
    • North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: July 13, 2020, 11:50:17 PM »
Right, decided to go all out seeing as I have removed the diff.

Stripped it all down tonight apart from the races in the case and bearings on the lsd and pinion as was a bit late and didn't want to annoy the neighbours

Nothing major or obvious to report.....unfortunately! I was hoping to come across something but it didnt happen.

Only thing I found was Input bearing opposite side to crownwheel feels a little rough but nothing major, although under tension its worse. I think the collar moved and it lost the spot weld. That got chewed up and got into the bearing as slight bits of metal filings on the bearing case.

Also under the crown wheel where it bolts to the lsd there was a bit off metal debris, crown wheel too running tight to the pinion, worn clutch plates in the lsd? On closer inspection I think the backlash may have been too tight previously. There is a decent amount of wear on the pinion and the crown ( as pictured, red is the curve i have when should be more like the green line ) looks like the pinion has been digging in too far. Didn't bother with engineering blue as I've ordered a new crown wheel and pinion....but not the same size

Done a lot of calculations and I've decided to go brave and go with a 4.7 cwp. On multiple calculations I work out I currently have a top speed of 175-180mph which is ridiculous . Not that it would get there but can you imagine doing that speed in a car that has no windscreen haha!
With a 4.7 I should be able to hit between 140-145mph at 8500rpm in 6th which is more than I would need on track, or the ones I will be using. Going from the 4.1 to 4.7 i should see a decent acceleration gain. While it won't be suited to all tracks it will for most.

I plan to swap out the gearbox next with the spare i have as the grind from 3rd to 4th is a bit annoying and I will be using more gears with the new cw&p. Plus the release bearing is noisy so will be nice to get that fixed.

Will update as things arrive and progress.

Offline Westory

• Just joined!
    • North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: July 14, 2020, 08:14:07 PM »

Offline Westory

• Just joined!
    • North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: July 14, 2020, 08:15:11 PM »
Stripped the diff and all the friction plates are very worn. Will be calling quaife in the morning for a service pack to replace everything. Bank balance isn't happy at the moment

Offline Westory

• Just joined!
    • North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: July 14, 2020, 08:15:20 PM »
Stripped the diff and all the friction plates are very worn. Will be calling quaife in the morning for a service pack to replace everything. Bank balance isn't happy at the moment