Author Topic: KIMI 3 - Series 3 FB  (Read 854 times)

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • RX-8 231, RX-7 FB KIMI 1, RX-7 FB KIMI 3
    • UK
    • View Profile
Re: KIMI 3 - Series 3 FB
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 12:49:55 AM »
Went to a local wheel refurb company yesterday to take a look at the wheels. They've been painted grey at some point, but corrosion is breaking through quite badly. We concluded diamond cutting probably wouldn't be the best option, so decided to book the wheels in to be powder coated next week with a silver finish as close to OEM as possible.

RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.
RX-7, KIMI 1, 1st Gen S2, Silver,1983 - SORN
RX-7, KIMI 2,^^Ditto - now sold
RX-7, KIMI 3, 1st Gen S3, Red,1984

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 08:38:28 AM »
Find some original pictures Malcolm as I have the feeling these were diamond cut on the faces from the factory.

All the best Clive

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 09:35:06 AM »
My series 3 wheels looked liked yours Casey,  corrosion under paint.
However the Spare was diamond cut .
From my research Clive is correct and originally diamond cut.
My local refurb place is £90 a wheel on top for Diamond cuttting....thats whether a full face or lip.
I had it done on Eunos bbs wheel lip. Cost £441 for 4 wheels but original and wheels do set a car off. I love em and glad i forked out the extra money. .

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 11:11:51 PM »
My first choice would have been to diamond cut as this was the OEM finish. I did some research and showed some pics to the wheel refurb technician, plus the manager. They advised that diamond cutting my wheels their current state was unlikely to result in a long lasting finish. I was also advised that the recessed/hidden rim design meant there were areas that the cutting tool would be unable to reach. I reluctantly opted for a powder coat in a colour to match OEM. If it doesn't work out, I'll look to buy some new wheels later, but at least they'll be an improvement on their current state.

I was encouraged looking at some of their work and how busy they were. They had some very high end vehicles in the workshop, many customised BMW AMGs and a 4 day old BMW monster 4x4 where the owner scraped a wheel the day he collected the vehicle! I was told BMW had booked the car in to get the wheel sorted for an unnamed VIP client. Football player I reckon  ;)

Loving those BBS wheels Pete  :icon_thumleft:
RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2019, 12:12:07 AM »
Just noticed the tyres on your wheel Pete  :)

I've just ordered a set of Uniroyal RainExpert in 195/60 R14 from Camskill to put on my wheels after the refurb. The current tyres have a bit of tread left, but the tyre markings show that are vintage 2008. As the old tyres are having to come off, it would be silly for 11 years old tyres to go back on!