I am pleased to say that the Series 3 RX-7 I have owned since 1996 finally returned to the road after 5 years today. During this time I have been distracted by other projects but have slowly completed the following work on the car:
a) Full brake overhaul including calliper rebuild (by Big Red) and new flexible hoses and master cylinder.
b) Replacement of all fuel hoses with latest spec ethanol compliant hoses.
c) Fitment of a replacement Nikki that has mechanical secondaries and choke removed and accel pump modifications
d) Replacement of ignition system components, coils, leads etc. (I thought worth doing after 34 years!)
When i fitted the new carb the car did not fire up. I eventually traced it to 2 plugs that were not firing at all. Once I had fitted some replacement (older) plugs it started first time. I have now replaced with a newer set.
Car ran well when I took it out today, although there was a slight stickiness when the secondaries were about to open which meant that more pressure was needed on the throttle pedal. Probably just something in the linkage so I will look tomorrow.
I have adjusted the mixture to get the best idle I can although it still seems a bit rich. Off to Tim's on Tuesday to get him to check everything over and adjust as required.
We will hopefully come along to the Gaydon meet in a couple of weeks time, the first meet the car has been to since Santa Pod in 2014.
I would like to thank Clive for all of the advice and encouragement he has provided in getting to this point.