Author Topic: James' 92 RZ build  (Read 449 times)

Offline JamesP

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Just joined!
    • Devon
    • View Profile
Re: James' 92 RZ build
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 10:43:24 AM »

Echoing Clive......ace thread.

Damn you made that look easy, Im still not brimming with confidence....

Saw the pic of the parts and the bolts and my OCD went bat sh*t crazy....wheres the bags? wheres the labels? loll

If that was me, id jump back in the car, start it up, look out the side window, and see a small pile of bolts....

......mmmmmm where are they from?? CLUNK, WHIRRRR, GRINDD

Thanks man.

Being honest I was it was easier than I thought it would be although I wouldn't say it was easy.

Haha as for the parts and bolts the important stuff was labelled and it was put so it made sense to me. Probably not too anyone else but I know where it all went back. I'm always lazy with labelling stuff but I do take loads of photos as I take things apart so I've always got a reference. I would have struggled if I didn't have photos.

So far I haven't got anything left so I think it's all on there. I'll find out when I start it up. . . Fingers crossed it will work.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline JamesP

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Just joined!
    • Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 06:51:11 PM »
Not much interesting happening at the moment. I degreased and cleaned the engine bay ready to get the engine back in. Also took a few brackets off and painted them up. Just tidying up the last few bits while I can access it before the engine goes back in. Got a crane sorted for this week so I can get the engine in next Saturday.

Cleaned and prepped brackets

All painted black. Also done the wiper arms as they were pretty rusty.

Also painted the air pump

Got the car over the pit at my unit ready to put the engine back in

Offline Jamie R

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Getting older, fatter, wiser!
    • Worcestershire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 11:42:24 PM »
 :13:  :13:

Looks a beast !!!
Its just Rotors and GRP

Offline JamesP

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Just joined!
    • Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 04:04:21 PM »
Been a while since I've updated this. Finally got the engine back in the car. Was fairly easy getting it back in, couple of bits took a while as I couldn't remember how they went back but got there eventually.

Unfortunately the car didn't want to come back too life. Had a few issues. First was the ignition amplifier stopped working. It had been wired to the leading coil so had I spark on the trailing plugs not the leading. Removed that and still had issues. Removed the wiring harness for the coils to find the wiring wasn't the best and the cable inside the leading connector plug had pretty much snapped, hanging on by a couple strands of wire. Sorted that, put the car back together. Hoping that had cured my issues, tried starting it and eventually got some signs of life from the engine. It did start but only ran on the front rotor.
So that brings us to today, I've took everything apart again. Found that the rear rotor primary injector is stuck closed. Bit annoyed as I had the injectors sent of for cleaning and testing so not sure why this has happened. I'll be speaking to the company that cleaned them on Tuesday and hopefully they can get it sorted for me. Fingers crossed the next update will be the car is actually running.

Currently still sat looking sorry for itself in bits again.

Offline Jamie R

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • Worcestershire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 04:43:18 PM »
How frustrating

Hope you can get at them easily. Fingers crossed
Its just Rotors and GRP

Offline JamesP

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Just joined!
    • Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2019, 04:49:52 PM »
How frustrating

Hope you can get at them easily. Fingers crossed
It certainly is. I thought it would be running by now. Hopefully this is the last setback I'll have.

Definitely not easy as they're right down underneath everything on these. I've managed to make room and remove the stuck one today. Also  tested the others and they are working.  Hopefully the company that cleaned them will help me get it sorted.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2019, 04:57:56 PM »
Feel your pain...not good atall...are you removing them all for checking...ideally they all need reflow testing.
The stuck 1 if you can get 12v across the pins and it doesnt click and open then yep thats your prob..if it does however could be loom fault and break in continuity...these looms are hard brittle and old now...just think its worth check before away.
Ive energised and blown through injectors in the past to verify ok.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline JamesP

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Just joined!
    • Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 05:11:16 PM »
Feel your pain...not good atall...are you removing them all for checking...ideally they all need reflow testing.
The stuck 1 if you can get 12v across the pins and it doesnt click and open then yep thats your prob..if it does however could be loom fault and break in continuity...these looms are hard brittle and old now...just think its worth check before away.
Ive energised and blown through injectors in the past to verify ok.

I wasn't going to remove all of them. They've all just come back from flow testing and supposed to be perfect. I've put 12v across both primaries and secondaries. Only 1 primary doesn't click open.  Loom seemed to be ok. I checked continuity at the plug and it's getting power so hoping wiring is all ok.
I have read that it's not uncommon for injectors to stick after cleaning if they have been unused for a while. Mine have been fitted, unused, while I built the engine back up so hoping it's nothing major and can be cleaned and tested again. Then go straight back in the car.

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2019, 05:13:17 PM »
Ok mate cool...can you unstick yourself? Reverse flow..remove 12 v and blow in reverse?

92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline JamesP

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Just joined!
    • Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 05:22:21 PM »
Ok mate cool...can you unstick yourself? Reverse flow..remove 12 v and blow in reverse?

I was wandering if I could unstick it tbh. Although I didn't want to risk damaging it. Figured it was best to send it back to injector tune as they flow tested it the first time and let them sort it.

Offline Jamie R

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • Worcestershire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2019, 06:37:27 PM »
Ah see Jon!

Carburettors ! its the future. All this damn modern technology!

Keeping it real, keeping it analogue !  :)) :))
Its just Rotors and GRP

Offline Essex2Visuvesi

• Contributor
  • Just joined!
    • Essex, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2019, 11:05:27 PM »

I was wandering if I could unstick it tbh. Although I didn't want to risk damaging it. Figured it was best to send it back to injector tune as they flow tested it the first time and let them sort it.

Injectortune are  a good company, I've sent several sets of injectors to them over the years

Offline JamesP

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Just joined!
    • Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2019, 08:25:51 PM »
So I finally got the car running! After speaking to injector tune who cleaned the injectors it turns out they can stick closed after cleaning. So after putting power to it and tapping the metal body it freed up. Put the car back together and it fired up at last!

https://youtu.be/HgQL4XvqSp8

Everything seems ok so far. The idle is a bit high but I think the IAC valve is sticking. I have improved it since the video but still needs a bit of work to get it perfect.

Cleaned up the intake pipes as well. Still want to clean the whole bay up more but I'm happy with how it is at the moment.