Author Topic: Need help- neglected 3rd gen  (Read 283 times)

Offline msc125

• Just joined!
    • Kent
    • View Profile
Need help- neglected 3rd gen
« on: November 15, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »
So, I have neglected my rex for a looooooong time. It's been sitting on my driveway for about 10 years now, occasionally I started it, cleaned it etc... but for the last few years, not even started it.

Reasons are too long to go into, but suffice to say, I'm not proud of the situation

So, I'm in a position now where I can get it back up and running, and I need your help. Where do I even start?? Will the fuel pump be seized? The fuel filter gunged up? Spark plugs? Etc....

At the moment I have limited time and resources (they will both increase), so what do I do first? I'd like to do checks/ changes one by one, by a process of elimination, rather than go the whole hog and change everything at once

I hope that all makes sense!!

Details;

FD3S, '93, Type R
Apexi ECU, not even a base map I believe
Apexi twin air intake

I've tried to start it recently, and it turns over, but doesn't fire up. It sounds like it's almost about to, but no dice

As I said above, with limited time and money, I'm thinking to do it step-by-step, so what would be the first thing to try?

Offline clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
Re: Need help- neglected 3rd gen
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 09:30:03 AM »
Hello and  :welcome:

Sounds like the engines flooded and having tried to start rotarys that have been standing a long time in the past, probably the best way to fire the car up again will be a tow start.
All the best Clive

Offline msc125

• Just joined!
    • Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 09:58:50 AM »
Hi Clive,

You might remember me... you came to my place years ago to help change my brake pads, and have a bacon sandwich :P

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go.

What's the recommended procedure for tow starting? And should I think about changing the fuel filter/ spark plugs first?

Cheers!

Offline clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 08:57:18 PM »
Sort of remember  :( been to a lot of peoples houses over the years to help with their cars, where did you live ?

A set of plugs would probably help then give it another try.

For safety's sake, first try and find a mate who would be familiar with towing a car before attempting this.

I would always let the cars engine turn over with the car in third gear, no throttle and you will feel the car start to fire up, then dip the clutch and rev the car, not like crazy but just to keep it running. Let  the engine run for a while to get some heat into it and then see how things are.       
All the best Clive