Author Topic: Maybe getting an FC RX7  (Read 164 times)

Offline PhilH

• Just joined!
    • DORSET
    • View Profile
Maybe getting an FC RX7
« on: September 27, 2018, 08:54:59 PM »
Guys, I am new to this sight and this might be a bit sketchy, but I may have an opportunity to purchase a 1990 RX7 convertable Turbo (I think this is classed as the 2nd gen FC?). The car is owned by a mature gent who has not used it much over the last 3 years and is considering selling. I saw the car briefly a few months ago and it is in very good condition. I think the mileage is approaching the 100Km, but has had some engine work done, though I don't know full details yet.

I currently have a 2005 321 RX8 with 35,000 miles on it, but like older Japanese cars (I have two old MX5's), so will have to part with the RX8 if I get the 7. The gent selling it is not sure on price yet and is going to let me know as soon as he has thought about it.

So I would appreciate any thoughts on what to look out for on the RX7 Convertable:-

What they are like to run (20MPG I guess).
What oil is best.
Do they suffer from engine flooding as can happen on the 8.
Any idea what a 1990 convertable is worth as a ball park figure.
Any really common faults.
Do they eat coils like the 8 and how much to replace.

Finally, am I mad going from an 8 to a 7.

Any comments/thoughts appreciated,

Regards, Phil.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 01:57:27 PM by Casey »

Offline clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
Re: Maybe getting an RC RX7
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »
 :welcome: to Mazdarotaryclub.

The RX-7 FC is a very very underrated car and no they do not suffer from the RX-8 issues inflicted by bad ignition coils, indeed there were  no coil issues with any previous RX .

Very quick car and actually more fuel efficient than an RX-8.

Close inspection for rust will be your biggest concern and pay particular interest where the front chassis legs meet the body.

Price is almost like how long is a bit of string I'm afraid, so probably your best way forward is to come back with pictures and an idea of price the man wants.

Hope this helps.   
All the best Clive

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • RX-8 231, RX-7 FB KIMI 1, RX-7 FB KIMI 2
    • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 01:39:29 PM »
Is this Ray's red FC located in Poole by any chance?

If so, it looked in good nick externally when I saw it a few months back. I think he's looked after it well mechanically and cosmetically, but no idea on possible rust which might be hidden away out of sight.
RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.
RX-7, KIMI 1 ,1st Gen,Silver,1983 - SORN
RX-7, KIMI 2 ,^^Ditto - MOT and active

Offline RE5

• MRC Full Club Member
    • English Riviera
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe getting an FC RX7
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 05:34:20 PM »
The FC TII Vert is one of the nicest cars I have owned (had over 90) and is now my 9th Rotary vehicle & is by far the best car.   Like all Jap cars of that era they are prone to rust & being a convertible it attacks both inside & out.   The hood can be a issue on both sides near the drainage pocket (a drainage tube on the base runs through the floor) which through age tears/rips with repairs never working.
New parts are available mostly from Rock Auto or Aus , recently replaced my TPS @ £125 + Tax from Aus.  Light/Wiper/Cruise switches are particular to the TII so can be difficult to find/replace so check these.   It has a "Warm Up" sequence on startup that needs to be adhered to to prolong engine life.   Engine oil is normal 15/20 50 mineral with very frequent changes because of the Turbo.
Driving brings a smile to my face & I do not need much excuse to go for a run & like all Rotaries, should not be used for short journeys or slow city traffic!   They are very few & far between (DVLA are showing 35 hard/soft tops) so grab it if it is good.
Current: RX7s   FB S3 & FC S5 Vert

Previously owned:  2 x NSU Ro 80 - 2 x RX7 FB S2 - Suzuki RE5 -Norton Commander - DKW W2000

Offline PhilH

• Just joined!
    • DORSET
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 10:21:08 PM »

If so, it looked in good nick externally when I saw it a few months back. I think he's looked after it well mechanically and cosmetically, but no idea on possible rust which might be hidden away out of sight.
Thanks Clive, will try to update if things develop.

Offline PhilH

• Just joined!
    • DORSET
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 10:22:51 PM »
:welcome: to Mazdarotaryclub.

The RX-7 FC is a very very underrated car and no they do not suffer from the RX-8 issues inflicted by bad ignition coils, indeed there were  no coil issues with any previous RX .

Very quick car and actually more fuel efficient than an RX-8.

Close inspection for rust will be your biggest concern and pay particular interest where the front chassis legs meet the body.

Price is almost like how long is a bit of string I'm afraid, so probably your best way forward is to come back with pictures and an idea of price the man wants.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Clive, will update if things develop.

Offline PhilH

• Just joined!
    • DORSET
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 10:25:08 PM »

No not this one Casey, but thanks anyway.

Offline PhilH

• Just joined!
    • DORSET
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe getting an FC RX7
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 10:26:31 PM »
The FC TII Vert is one of the nicest cars I have owned (had over 90) and is now my 9th Rotary vehicle & is by far the best car.   Like all Jap cars of that era they are prone to rust & being a convertible it attacks both inside & out.   The hood can be a issue on both sides near the drainage pocket (a drainage tube on the base runs through the floor) which through age tears/rips with repairs never working.
New parts are available mostly from Rock Auto or Aus , recently replaced my TPS @ £125 + Tax from Aus.  Light/Wiper/Cruise switches are particular to the TII so can be difficult to find/replace so check these.   It has a "Warm Up" sequence on startup that needs to be adhered to to prolong engine life.   Engine oil is normal 15/20 50 mineral with very frequent changes because of the Turbo.
Driving brings a smile to my face & I do not need much excuse to go for a run & like all Rotaries, should not be used for short journeys or slow city traffic!   They are very few & far between (DVLA are showing 35 hard/soft tops) so grab it if it is good.
Thanks RE5, good information there.