Author Topic: Oversized side seals, good or bad?  (Read 265 times)

Offline wiggman2030

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Oversized side seals, good or bad?
« on: March 20, 2018, 04:13:32 PM »
Hi all,

I've heard that the side seals on the 8 have an angle unlike the earlier engines. I know you usually get oversized side seals and fit them to desired spec. With the 8 i know they come with a letter stamped on the rotor for the appropriate seal. Are they any issues with getting oversized seals and grinding them done to get a better fit than the standard specification. Also would the grinding procedure be any different due to the angled edge of the side seal compared to earlier models

Offline Mazdarotaryparts

• MRC Supporting Advertiser
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
Re: Oversized side seals, good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 06:49:03 PM »
We supply many company's deliberately non Europe with longer side seals so the builder can grind the ends to get the best fit for each groove.

With the grooves cleaned and lightly oiled you should just feel the side seal move to and fro under your fingers without measuring, this is how the Mazda engine builders put them together in Japan by feel  ;)

Only available out from Japan or America via Japan, most term these longer seals as "Mazdaspeed side seals"

For the ends, just replicate the side seal ends you take out.

Here is a link that may help your re-build

https://www.racingbeateurope.com/b-rx8-rotary-internal-engine-partsb-459-c.asp

Hope this helps

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 06:50:43 PM by Mazdarotaryparts »
REgards
Clive

Mazdarotaryparts
Racingbeateurope
Racecarbattery
shyauto

We aim to help and assist our customers make the right choices for their Mazda Rotary or MX-5  whether they be standard or modified. If you need further assistance with your inquiry, please do not hesitate to contact us:-
sales@mazdarotaryparts.com T:- 44 (0) 1474 361 800
sales@racingbeateurope.com T:- 44 (0) 1474 777 800
sales@shyauto.com             T:- 44 (0) 1474 771 800