Author Topic: 2002 Bathurst Type R legit?  (Read 943 times)

Offline chickenmadras

• Just joined!
    • Sussex
    • View Profile
2002 Bathurst Type R legit?
« on: January 28, 2018, 07:05:31 PM »
Hi everyone,

Finally buying a Rex after owning just about every other Jap car. apart from the RX-7...

I laid a deposit down on a 2002 Bathurst Type R and just wanted to ask about to make sure its a legit version of the car they are selling.

Supposedly the Bathurst's come with a carbon dash, carbon gear stick and a carbon hand brake (as well as adjustable dampeners).

The one I am buying only has the carbon gear stick. It also doesnt have the Bathurst decals on the side.

Is there anything I can do to ensure it is a Bathurst edition?

Thank you everyone

Cheers

Offline Essex2Visuvesi

• Just joined!
    • Essex, UK
    • View Profile
Re: 2002 Bathurst Type R legit?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 07:34:57 PM »
If I remember correctly there is a plate in the door shut

Offline chickenmadras

• Just joined!
    • Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 09:01:24 PM »
If I remember correctly there is a plate in the door shut
Thank you, I will check this out

Offline Jit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 10:29:13 PM »
That doesn’t look like a Bathurst R. It’s just a Type R Bathurst from those pics. If you have the chassis number I can check for sure

Offline Jit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 10:32:30 PM »
In fact I’m almost positive it’s not a Bathurst R. A genuine Bathurst R would have stickers on the c pillar. It would also have a different gear knob. The Bathurst R also has a carbon effect handbrake gaitor and carbon effect dash panels. In late 2002, the only models available were Type R Bathurst, Type R Bathurst R and Spirit R. So this is effectively the base model for late 2002

Offline chickenmadras

• Just joined!
    • Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 11:24:01 PM »
In fact I’m almost positive it’s not a Bathurst R. A genuine Bathurst R would have stickers on the c pillar. It would also have a different gear knob. The Bathurst R also has a carbon effect handbrake gaitor and carbon effect dash panels. In late 2002, the only models available were Type R Bathurst, Type R Bathurst R and Spirit R. So this is effectively the base model for late 2002
Thanks but I'm confused...

I didnt know there was a 'Bathurst R' and a 'Type R Bathurst'.

This is being sold as a Type R Bathurst.

I thought there was only 500 made, but I'm guessing this is the Bathurst R.

So to be clear, what should I be looking for to ensure I have a genuine Type R Bathurst?

Thanks again

Link here to sale: https://torque-gt.co.uk/car/mazda-rx7-bathurst-type-r/

Offline Jit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 11:45:16 PM »
No worries I’ll try and clear up the confusion. From mid 2002 (possibly March), the only FDs sold were one of the following three designations.
1. spirit R (type A, B and C)
2. Type R Bathurst R (only approx 500 made)
3. Type R Bathurst

The Type R Bathurst is the most common model. It’s not a particularly special edition as such. It’s effectively the base model for that year. The Type R Bathurst came with height adjustable showa suspension and 280ps (n3g1 turbos).

The Type R Bathurst R was a limited run. They are easily identified by the sticker on the c pillar. Came with height adjustable showa suspension, 280ps, mazdaspeed carbon effect gear knob, handbrake handle, gearstick surround, heater control surround and speedo surround. These are fairly hard to find and don’t pop up for sale all that often. I’m only aware of two of these cars in the U.K.

The car in that advert is the more common Type R Bathurst.

Offline Jit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 11:48:57 PM »
Also I’m fairly certain that the Type R Bathurst had front fog lights. The Type R Bathurst R did not have front fog lights.

Offline chickenmadras

• Just joined!
    • Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 03:13:16 PM »
No worries I’ll try and clear up the confusion. From mid 2002 (possibly March), the only FDs sold were one of the following three designations.
1. spirit R (type A, B and C)
2. Type R Bathurst R (only approx 500 made)
3. Type R Bathurst

The Type R Bathurst is the most common model. It’s not a particularly special edition as such. It’s effectively the base model for that year. The Type R Bathurst came with height adjustable showa suspension and 280ps (n3g1 turbos).

The Type R Bathurst R was a limited run. They are easily identified by the sticker on the c pillar. Came with height adjustable showa suspension, 280ps, mazdaspeed carbon effect gear knob, handbrake handle, gearstick surround, heater control surround and speedo surround. These are fairly hard to find and don’t pop up for sale all that often. I’m only aware of two of these cars in the U.K.

The car in that advert is the more common Type R Bathurst.

Thank you for the info, thats extremely helpful.

I should have done a little more research before laying the deposit down. I'm going to find out if £20,000 is par for the course for this model, as I kinda thought it was one of the 500 made when I first looked at it.

Cheers again

Offline Jit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 05:16:26 PM »
In my honest opinion it’s a touch too much for a Type R Bathurst. I, like you, would expect a Bathurst R for that money. Bits I can see from the photo that you want to pay attention to/ask about:
1. Intercooler hose (s shaped one) isn’t correct for the year. The one that is fitted is from a 92-95 car. Ask why. If you get told that the old one was split then you’re probably being lied to. I’ve not seen a 96-02 kne split as it’s plastic.
2. Panel gaps on the front end don’t look that great. Check them carefully and look for any signs of damage. Sometimes this isn’t easy to spot in RX7s.
3. Missing button on the Heater control panel
4. Random wiring in engine bay

Offline chickenmadras

• Just joined!
    • Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 06:35:31 PM »
In my honest opinion it’s a touch too much for a Type R Bathurst. I, like you, would expect a Bathurst R for that money. Bits I can see from the photo that you want to pay attention to/ask about:
1. Intercooler hose (s shaped one) isn’t correct for the year. The one that is fitted is from a 92-95 car. Ask why. If you get told that the old one was split then you’re probably being lied to. I’ve not seen a 96-02 kne split as it’s plastic.
2. Panel gaps on the front end don’t look that great. Check them carefully and look for any signs of damage. Sometimes this isn’t easy to spot in RX7s.

Well spotted on the missing button!

This company imported it a few weeks ago from Japan, so I'm assuming I'll get the "we don't know answers"

But I will certainly look at all those things you mentioned when I go down and pick it up in March.

Again, much appreciated for your help.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Offline chickenmadras

• Just joined!
    • Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 09:04:01 AM »

Hey, so I ordered the vechile inspection report from Japan and it has a couple of interesting things on it:

1. Gear knob standard non carbon (I wonder why this is been added in the uk (perhaps to make it look like the Bathurst R?)
2. Front splitter looks a little rough, maybe they replaced it in the uk?
3. Heater button is present, so this must have been damaged in shipping.
4. The device on the side of the centre console...could that be a previous boost controller?
5. What is that piece of metal to the left the glove box?

The overall report is good, no reports of damage or theft, and the mileage adds up too.

They paid the equivelent of £8500 for it, and are selling it for £19,990...

I'll attach some pics from the auction. I wish they were a little clearer though

Offline chickenmadras

• Just joined!
    • Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 09:06:44 AM »
Front splitter, damaged or dirty?

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 09:29:53 AM »
Looks like laquer peel on the carbon weave, water get under and lift the laquer from the carbon possibly.
The metal items possibly holders for toll road readers in Japan.

I can tell you have doubts in your mind, best to speak to importer about them, help you make your mind up.

once in uk they have to spend a small amount...registration, mot etc.

should have uk tyres fitted E marked else your insurance invalidated...hopefully speed delimited and mph converted too.

And i would not be handing over any cash til fully Uk serviced with a Comp test done in front of my eyes at the price your paying.

Its a beautiful car and your buying at the top end so the car and service you receive should be top notch.

good luck, speak to the importer to eleviate your fears. :icon_thumright:
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 09:46:06 AM »
had a mooch about on there website....theyve got some beautiful cars...quite taken with the Forrester Sti....lol...have to stick with my beaten up Daily Wagon Wrx...Torque have been in The Import business for a long time and there not an overnight import business like you find on ebay so i think youll be fine, they have a good rep too.
Spoiler looks fixed in website photos but matt as opposed to shiny in dock photos....swap or painted....car like this need to be original and exact to OEM imho for its future value.
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.