Author Topic: WANTED - FC S5 Clock/warning lights  (Read 267 times)

Offline RE5

• English Riviera
    • View Profile
WANTED - FC S5 Clock/warning lights
« on: December 28, 2017, 11:17:51 AM »
My clock does not work.........had it out to see if can repair but can not see any bad connections.
Need another or someone that knows how to repair it.
Any out there for sale please ;)?
Current: RX7s   FB S3 & FC S5 Vert

Previously owned:  2 x NSU Ro 80 - 2 x RX7 FB S2 - Suzuki RE5 -Norton Commander - DKW W2000

Offline KenD

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • Pembrokeshire
    • View Profile
Re: WANTED - FC S5 Clock/warning lights
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 12:48:09 PM »
Hi there.  Is the clock just blank or does it flash on intermittently?  Also are the warning lights working or have they failed too?  Aside from the usual cold solder issues it could also be the plug on the back of the unit that connects to the pins - it tends to work loose over time. 

Having said that I had an issue with mine some time back where the whole unit was working intermittently and the warnings were incorrect (ie I'd get a tailgate open warning when the the handbrake was on - stuff like that)  I was thinking the worse but it actually turned out that the room fuse had worked loose.  I hadn't picked up on that at all as the interior lights and the radio seemed to work fine. 

Offline RE5

• English Riviera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 04:58:28 PM »
Thanks for reply.....It is just the clock that has failed, I have wiggled & jiggled the clock whilst out of casing, it did flicker on a couple of times but then stopped!   I then tried the well known method of tapping, followed by a liberal spraying with Contact Cleaner but to no avail :dontknow:
Current: RX7s   FB S3 & FC S5 Vert

Previously owned:  2 x NSU Ro 80 - 2 x RX7 FB S2 - Suzuki RE5 -Norton Commander - DKW W2000

Offline KenD

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • Pembrokeshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 05:10:19 PM »
From what you say I guess there is a poor contact somewhere, but if there is no obvious loose connection I'm not sure what to suggest.  One source suggests resoldering all the connections as a solution, whether or not they appear loose.  A fiddly job and from what I recall of the unit you would need to take care not to damage anything in the process.  As for a replacement I know that 13BETC in the US offer a rebuild service or you can get a rebuilt unit from them....with properly soldered connections!  Alternatively worth trying Tim at RX Motors.