First and foremost I know it says this is my first post however I used to frequent the forums as 'gerbilstuntfarm' quite some years ago, SORN'd my car because quite simply I (severely) ran out of money, then I moved miles away which meant I left the car in a damp dark rust magnet of a shed in the middle of nowhere for I *think* almost now 10 years (!). Last thing I remember was being on some rewiring trip and looking at some new seats via Clive. Why I didn't store it properly is a question for an younger me
Still, I'm finally back in the game now.The Issues
Tested the electrics with a new battery and the dash reads as though there's an electrical fault. Engine, Oil level and Coolant level lights are all on. Fixed one poor ground elsewhere but same problem. I have an Apexi ECU fwiw.
Seems some furry little shits have decided to do their own re-wiring work, so a couple of wires - at least - to the dash have been been gnawed at although they mostly took a liking to the insulation, especially the PS lines. Looks like they tried to remove my EPS for me
More importantly, the oil pan, not in the pics unfortunately, has sheets of rust quite literally hanging off. Have called around for a replacement but so far have had no return calls as of yet, so will most likely import a new one.
The steering knuckles, similarly, are pretty bad. Bearings are obviously fine.
I have a hardline from braided steel lines direct to the front calipers, these are just utterly knackered, they're steel and are now brittle. I literally snapped these off with my fingers.
There appears to be little if any coolant in the car. I can't remember what type was in there before. Hopefully not a sign of something worse.
I can only visit the car a few days a week, so dealing with this in stages First visit
Removed brakes, not a bad job despite the rust. Reconned replacements have just arrived here, these are reconned from budweg, surprisingly good. They don't include the rear mounting bracket nor slider pins though, so some extra work. One of my slider pins was also bent somehow, have bought some better looking second hand ones off of ebay to clean up, they're on their way.
Drained and replaced engine oil.
Removed most of the suspension, mostly okay, the front sway bar links were nasty though, aftermarket sway bar links are in the post.
Tested electrics with new battery, have got ECU output with okay voltage readings and windows, most lights, fuel pump all fire up. Partially lost my sidelights.Next Visit
(mostly for my own reference
Remove the rest of the suspension to evaluate the bushings and rust.
Manually crank engine see if it'll actually turn.
Remove air locks from cooling and refill, see if I have a leak.
Test plugs fire. Think these were originally 10.5s, will see, have all 9s as replacements. Can use the olds to crank and foul once I've replaced the sump.
Flush through brake fluid and temporarily cap end points. Caps I've picked up from automec. These are brass, and a nice fit.
Fix electrical issues. Oil Level will be easy, I know there's oil in the sump so it's either a grounding issue or the sensors kaput.
Replace Oil pan if it's arrived. Will be 'fun' in this shed.
Any input always welcome (yeh I already know I'm a bad person for letting it get this way, so please don't remind me
), and if you're ever in Staffordshire then feel free to come see what a rusted out FD looks like.