Author Topic: Clutch going or more sinister issue?  (Read 968 times)

Offline Dragun

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Clutch going or more sinister issue?
« on: November 03, 2016, 08:45:51 PM »
Hoping I can get some input, not had a chance to look at car thoroughly but would like to see if anyone can advise....

FD3S, has a os giken twin plate clutch in there with the pull to push converter.

Only recently upon starting the car and driving to warm it up the clutch is perfect, biting point just above middle of pedal travel, grips nice and doesn't slip. Once the car has warmed up (around 85c water temp on Pfc) car still drives fine, around 10mins later the clutch begins to slip. 1st gear fine, slips badly in 2,3,4,5 etc. But only this the biting point all of a sudden the biting point is right up at the top of the pedal, literally as soon as before you take your foot completely off.

Let the car cool down say over night, next morning it's fine again until it's warmed up and driven for a while and this problem presents its self again. So is this the clutch going? In my experience of clutches going I do know they can slip a bit more when warm etc but I've never had this biting point changing. If a clutch is going I've always experienced the biting point getting higher and higher with time....not going back to normal once cool. I've inspected the clutch master and no visible leaks and no loss of fluid....so is it simply clutch going bad or anything else?

Thanks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rotary Massacre
   Dare To Be Different...

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch going or more sinister issue?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 08:59:04 AM »
Clutch master or slave seals sounds like there passing hydraulic fluid when getting warm.
Or something todo with that push pull convertor?.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 09:30:36 AM »
Sadly this is going to mean pulling the gear box out,  :( because if this was an hydraulic issue  the clutch would not disengage and it does not sound like an adjustment issue as you would not have free play on the pedal if there was enough pressure on the pressure plate to hold the clutch open enough to make it slip.

May help to know I supplied a rebuild kit recently so at at least you should not have to bin the whole assembly if its no good.

Hope this helps
All the best Clive

Offline Dragun

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 05:45:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply gents!

I recently fitted a new clutch master so I would hope this is not the issue. As for the salve there's no visible leaks although unable to confirm if its internal. Though I have put the clutch fluid reservoir independent from the brake master cylinder res.... It's only a small reservoir and the fluid level hasn't dropped at all one bit. As you say Clive, I have lovely freeplay at the top of the pedal.

Guess I'll grit my teeth and pull the gearbox, it's just confusing me if its a worn clutch why does the biting point go back to normal once cooled down :/

What's the ballpark figure for a giken rebuild kit? Unfortunately I don't know which model is fitted I know there's a few versions of the twin plate but this came with the car so no idea.

Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rotary Massacre
   Dare To Be Different...

Offline clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 07:41:09 PM »
If you defiantly have play on the pedal sadly its pull the gear box.

Once the clutch is out the parts can be identified   
All the best Clive

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 08:42:45 PM »
Just thinking out loud....youve just fitted a new master....have you set the correct free play as per the tsm...so what i saying with the push pull is the clutch not being allowed to fully engage like your riding the clutch slightly as when hot this will slip as you not allowing the pressure to fully grip.
Hope that makes sense off the top of my head as i set free play at the pedal about 10 months ago 7mm ish. Just summit to check before big strip down.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Dragun

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 01:55:08 PM »
I changed it around 4 months ago and it's been fine till about a few weeks ago. I do have free play but how much I couldn't say.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check the freeplay as per FSM and if no joy I guess you can expect a call Clive :).

Thank you for the help guys.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rotary Massacre
   Dare To Be Different...