Author Topic: email notifications of personal messages  (Read 359 times)

Offline tinaandnigeluk

• MRC Full Club Member
  • member since 2002
    • View Profile
email notifications of personal messages
« on: August 18, 2016, 11:37:16 PM »
Hi
Can someone explain why I never get email notifications of personal messages, even though this is set to "always"  and my e-mail address is on account?
Regards Nigel
1994 UK spec RX7 FD  - stock

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
Re: email notifications of personal messages
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 12:46:17 AM »
Hi Nigel - I had noticed an issue with this recently myself. I'll do some digging to see what is happening.
RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.
RX-7, KIMI 1 ,1st Gen,Silver,1983 - SORN
RX-7, KIMI 2 ,^^Ditto - MOT and active

Offline tinaandnigeluk

• MRC Full Club Member
  • member since 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 03:18:43 PM »
Casey, did you ever find out anymore about this problem? I have noticed it also means I don't get email notifications of replies to topics I posted.

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 06:50:34 PM »
John Spackman, an ace admin on a related forum, kindly agreed to look into this issue about 10 days ago. Since then I've been in Italy and then straight onto Jury Service, so I haven't been around much; but somewhat ominously, nothing from John yet (and he's usually very quick with these issues).

I can confirm there is a problem, but was personally (with my limited admin skills) unable to see any cause. All looked OK from what I could see in the forum admin screens, just no emails being sent out on new posts to subscribed forums (or PM notifications), so very frustrating.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll send John an email now and ask if he's made any progress.

EDIT: email now sent to John, so I hope he has some news....
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 06:57:41 PM by Casey »
RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.

Offline AMH

• MRC Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 10:25:56 PM »
I'm not getting email notifications either - although TapaTalk keeps telling there are new posts when there aren't?

May explain why I've had no response to the PM I sent out to the usual suspects about a Christmas Party - is there anyway I can contact people direct?
1st March 2005 - 31st Dec 2009: STRATO RX-8 WITH MEGA BLING ALLOYS - TWOC :(
Delivered 12th March 2010: AURORA BLUE RX-8 R3 :)

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 11:18:40 PM »
I guess the only way to do this Ann would be to send a direct email to the people concerned.

I could send out a "MailChimp" email to all "Full Members" (as we have that list available to send out in one "swoop"), or you could simply lift the email addresses from member profiles, if there are just a few you need.

BTW, I'm finding that TapaTalk IS (I believe) correctly notifying me of new posts on my subscribed topics AND also PM's. Is that not working for you? I'm aware though that TapaTalk sometimes throws a wobbly and says there is a new post but won't let me access the post via Tapatalk. But the upshot is that Tapatalk is a better way to check on new posts to subscribed threads than using a browser, at least for me.

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 08:12:21 AM »
Good News. John has lived up to his reputation and solved the issue. I have new email notifications this morning to prove it  :)

For the technically minded, here's what John reported back to me:

"The port for SMTP on the settings page was 465 and not 25, and it looks like the mail3.gridhost.co.uk uses SSL always on that port and not TLS (which makes the use of SSL optional).  As the forum does not support SSL servers, it couldn’t connect.

There were nearly 10,000 emails waiting to go out so before I did anything, I moved all emails over 1 day old into a separate table called smf_mail_queue_jhs1, so there were only 19 (ish) emails waiting to go out.  They’ve since left the queue and several were going to you so hopefully you’ll be able to confirm it’s worked!"

How the port settings were "wrong" when notifications originally worked fine and no changes were made I cannot understand, but hey-ho...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:01:31 PM by Casey »

Offline tinaandnigeluk

• MRC Full Club Member
  • member since 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 06:17:42 PM »
Thanks for your help Casey and John. Speaking personally the email notifications will make the forum much more user-friendly. I would imagine 10000 unsent emails would not have helped to encourage forum useage generally
Regards Nigel

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 08:58:32 PM »
I absolutely agree.

Unfortunately, we have been somewhat lacking in availability of "deep" technical support , but John is now getting familiar with our setup and has offered further support for the future, so hopefully we will be able to deal with these issues a little quicker  :)

Offline AMH

• MRC Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 02:16:04 PM »
I guess the only way to do this Ann would be to send a direct email to the people concerned.

I could send out a "MailChimp" email to all "Full Members" (as we have that list available to send out in one "swoop"), or you could simply lift the email addresses from member profiles, if there are just a few you need.

BTW, I'm finding that TapaTalk IS (I believe) correctly notifying me of new posts on my subscribed topics AND also PM's. Is that not working for you? I'm aware though that TapaTalk sometimes throws a wobbly and says there is a new post but won't let me access the post via Tapatalk. But the upshot is that Tapatalk is a better way to check on new posts to subscribed threads than using a browser, at least for me.
Thanks Malcolm,

Hopefully now the PM emails have gone out I might get a response.

TapaTalk does notify new thread posts but it was also coming up saying there were new posts in a thread when there weren't

Not sure about PMs - not had one for a while  :(

Offline tinaandnigeluk

• MRC Full Club Member
  • member since 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 06:53:36 PM »
Is it possible that email notifications have stopped working again? I have Rotary and General Chit Chat marked as notify, but no emails received today.
Regards Nigel

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 11:58:29 PM »
Regrettably, I think you are correct.

I didn't receive a notification of your post in this topic or another one fro another topic. Notifications were working fine this morning, but appear to have stopped sometime later today.

I'll take a look..............

Offline AMH

• MRC Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 11:59:52 PM »
They still aren't working for PMs either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 05:38:33 PM »
Well, it all seems to be working perfectly now, both via emails and on Tapatalk?  :)

I have quite a few forum topic notifications over the past few days AND also a new PM notification via email and on Tapatalk today, when AMH sent me one  :)

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 12:21:08 AM »
I don't believe it  :(

As far as I can see, the notifications have dried up yet again?  :angry5:

I'll see is Guru JohnS can work out what is going on......