Author Topic: GAVBEY'S SINGLE TURBO RAFT.  (Read 811 times)

Offline GAVBEY

• View Profile
GAVBEY'S SINGLE TURBO RAFT.
« on: June 30, 2016, 12:05:58 PM »
hi guys n gals,

Saved if from rotting in a feild in 2012. Almost stock until i got a bit carried away.

Spec so far (2015)

ENGINE:
Street Ported
Engine Sump Brace
Solid Mounts
82 Degrees Thermostat
Ported LIM
Twin Butterflies Removed
Magnacore HT Leads
HKS Twin Power
DM-Motorsport Coil Relocation
Alloy Radiator
V-mount setup
DM-Motorsport fuel rails (Primary + Secondary)
Asnu 1650 cc Secondaries
Modified Bosch 750cc primaries
Turbosmart FPR 1200
Turbosmart Progate 50 Wastgate
Borg warner S366 1.10 AR
4" downpipe
3.5" home made system with 3 silencers
AEM Water Methanol Injection (using 550cc nozzle)
Inovate
Power FC With Datalogit connected
Alloy Pulleys
Air Pump Removed
AC removed
Power steering removed
Greddy OLEDboost controler

TRANSITION:
Hell Clutch line
HKS GD Twin Plate Clutch And Flywheel
Stock G/box MT-90 oil
KAAZ 2-Way Diff
Diff Brace
Short Shift

EXTERIOR:
C-West bumper
Rota Grid Drift 18x9.5  ET20
99 Spec Rear lights
stock rear bumper
feed sideskirts
feed arches all round
Smoothed Ariel
ducktail spoiler
MazdaSpeed Style Wing Mirrors
Fiberglass Bonnet (Unknown make)

INTERIOR:
Luke Harnesses
PFC Commander
AFR Gauge
Fuel pressure Gauge
Battery Relocation To Rear Bin

here are some more pictures, aircon gone and doing a few more bits

on the trailer home

wheels off and started to rip it all appart :)

fibre glass anyone?

engine bay once i stripped it apart

this next picture is to show damage to the sill. NOTE: chassis is still perfectly straight so none of yer shite ;)

as usual the dirt / fade was killing mikie so he got out the G3 compound and look at these reflection pics.

this one shows my missing hand!

bought some wings from ebay £60 delivered.
more to come guys
 :mrgreen:
got the painted bits back on. hubs etc and everything all greased.

split rims

more pics of rust prooving etc

more pics of tonights work.

tidy up

waiting for pulleys and wings

Offline GAVBEY

• View Profile
Re: GAVBEY'S SINGLE TURBO RAFT.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 12:07:38 PM »
then a few months went by

this is deffo me

bocsh next to an evo fuel pump :)

out for a run

the dash

and the wheels ive just bought :)

that took me adges to type! ha. over and out.

here is a couple pics

sanded all back down and painted primer grey again!

ps i wouldn't recommend anyone to do this! it was hellish to stop the permanent marker reacting with the paint!

i need a spray booth so i can go red!

so ive painted it (massey ferguson super red) and fixed my running lean ault whitch was down to my swirl pot choking my pump.

heres pics

avbey/AB23F876-3BCC-4B6F-97E2-E30460118E33-1720-0000018AD61E6BD0_zps8145bb19.jpg[/IMG]

all done :)

fited some other bits and my dm-motorsport coil relocation. are they layed out properly?

here is the ports from my last engine

and the new ones. (guess the port as i dont know)

also found out that i have solid engine mounts BONUS

so updates this week,

spoiler on
tided up bay (boost hoses)
changed thermostat

ive not been doing too much modifying and fixing as ive been out driving it. i love it, its going beutifull! im running circa 10psi and its insane how quick it is! here is some pics.

i took off the old spoiler and sanded filled and painted boot.

these are the brackets i got made up from my hommie jamieP, they were origanaly 7" but i might of added another 7" on there by mistake....... ps they also need some holes cut into them to make them look better.

the spoiler looks ott tbh, it would be ok if it was down 2" or so but its deffinatly helping with grip on the back end.

well my car ran really low temp. circa 60 - 70 degreess, which is too cool. so i bought a new thermostat for 82 degrees. its installed and works lovley.

ive tidied up my intercooler (hotside pipes)

and heres the car before i put it away for winter. :(.

i just bought an AC-DC tig welder so be prepared for some weird and wonderfull mods.....so like i say ive been driving it around and just enjoying it. love the rotary noise from the exhaust i made. not too loud untill wastegate opens then wwwwwaaaaahahahhaahahhhhh :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::D

then i moved to Livingston and this is where shit got serious

Well Its been far too long!,

Ive bought my house without selling up. Infact while ive been saving for the house ive been buying bits for it. as always pics before bics or somthing like that.

We made it... the little 1.9 van sacrificed its alternator though!

Ive decided im going to go for V-mount for a change.

and this is where i need some help. the radiator fits like this.... However im sure the fans need to be on the bottom.....

If i turn the fan over my inlet and outlets for the radiator are facing the wrong way??? do i need a diffrent kind of radiator or should i just fab up somthing to make mine fit.

you can see from here that the angle of the radiator isnt drastic at all. infact its almost parallel with the intercooler..

as you can see here ive turned the intercooler the other way around. it fits much better however i will need to cut off the inlet and outlet and rotate them 180 degrees and tig them back up..... no problems :)

So thats all ive done..

Plenty more to do but ill just play with it over the winter for next year :)

ciao for now :thumbsup:

Hi guys,

So a little update,
Finnished my Reack and welded a new flange onto my manifold and fitted x2 egt sensors.

these need welded togeather so i whipped out the tig welder

and there we have it. cost me a total of £23 and thats incuding buying the rack

and here is my manifold

welded the egt sensor bungs in

and if anyone is interested heres a little vid of me welding

Not had too much time with the rx7 this trip as ive been busy with the house.
 I suppose its a winter project AGAIN haha

Offline GAVBEY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 12:08:13 PM »
next was to try and make the bumpers fit and sit properly. Ive left some pannel gap as the sprayer does not take off any pannels to spray. ill pull everything in tighter when i get it back.

my headlight cover flew off when driving back from the mot station!

2 days before paint. thank god that matt p sent me a carbon set with a vent which ive been wanting for a while. first class chap! :thumbsup:

all road legal, had a mini meet with dale

£500 later

here are some of the painted pics

i left it there a couple days prior to picking it up to ensure it had chance to harden before driving it home

Hi guys, Not too much of an update. been out driving it LOADS! Infact it was my daily for a few days,

Basicaly completed V-mount intercooler set-up,
Fuels system upgrades,
R-Magic style lights
and some mapping with philywilly

here is some pics:

Made a wastegate screamer silencer with a motorbike exhaust can.  i shortended it to fit parralel to the subframe if that makes sence.

Intercooler is a 3.5" evo intercooler from ebay. £56 delivered. I welded up the end tanks an made some up to fit the FD. the reason for this is it is smaller than my greddy si i can make a nice cold airfeed / box for inlet.

Bought some 3" Pipe to make intercooler pipes

i then stuck on the roof spoiler bought from ifty

then i took it for a run to driftland. German invasion show and guess what. I won best car! Been asked to do a feature in bmw performance and go onto the main stage at Scottish car show. unfortunatly im away working so that wont be happening.

So thats all that has been happening.. Ive been seeing pictures of my car allover the internet which is such a good feeling that people like the work ive done.

So mapping time. Done a load of runs with phil. I cant thank the guy enough. Genuine guy and knows his stuff with mapping FD's

Got to the stage of 16.8 PSI . We then had to stop as my injectors were maxxed out. AEM 320LPH lift pump - Bosch 044 - 2200CC - 550CC - Aromotive FPR. 100% duty.

so ill have to either run another pump or try and get some more fuel in there some how. im also going to look for a 0-5V fuel pressure sensor so i can look into fuel pressure to see if it drops... Might be a filter problem? who knows. all i know is i drive a 2009 mapped R1 and it isnt as scary as driving this car. Its bloody wild!

thanks for looking

Offline GAVBEY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 12:09:19 PM »
here is some more pics.

M9 99 spec lights were watter damaged so i took off the plastic lense and well sprayed them.

here is a better pic of the wastegate silencer. ive installed bolts so i can repack if needed

i then reduced the size of my tank to about 1.5LT so it fits better bit of alu tig welding.. getting better

and as you can see here my injecytor duty at 100%
water temps dont budge from 83-85
Air inlet temps were high as the car was switched off and the intercooler heat soaked but it drops nice and low when you start rolling
knock levels are up at 100 but that could be the solid mounts / diff brace etc giving false noise. it lowers when on boost

all good fun

next job was the rear polly bushed to be installed and a look at my diff.

Problems... esentric bolts snapped and my diff is foooking horrible... i want a 1 way or 1.5.

here goes

jacked up

exhaust off

opened diff

its a clutched 2 way diff and thats all i know about it.......

PPF had cracked some years ago so i re weled it back up

Offline GAVBEY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 12:10:20 PM »
Injector upgrade time.

Massive thanks to the guys from DM-Motorsport. they went out there way to make sure i had the injectors before my booked dyno day. Great lads, Great deals. :thumbsup::thumbsup: new DM primary rail, and 750cc injectors

UIM off

origonal rail holes were smaller than i would like so i drilled the hoors to 8mm

all back togeather i went out and took some logs...... Yup its a hooor of a rich.

Ducktape duckting PRE DYNO it worked anyway :)

here is my catch can. works a treat

went out for a run and helped my pal with his R32 getting ready for his drift event in wales :)

driving the car around leaning everything out then my turbo return #5 died. too much of a bend and the fittings started leaking.. (my fault to be honest)

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii391/gavbey/136F3727-7D83-4DF8-B0DD-FFE8901193D8_zps2tmui0ss.jpg

version 6

DYNO TIME :D

Car behaved well, I have a fuel pressure problem towards the end. the fuel pressure was dropping rapidly. I dont think its my FPR its pointing towards the fuel pump either being starved from the feed collector or the pump just at its max.

looking to get a new FPR from DM motorsport and another GST450

Ill also make a fuel cooler on the return line with a fan to cool the fuel as its getting bloody hot!

it made 491 RWHP however we lost the graph. gutted heres the next one down.

555.55BHP (censored)ing chuffed

1.5BAR.. it wants much more. the car was happy at that boost. I think its to do with the larger hot side 1.10 AR

FLAMES

FLAMES CLICK

DYNO

DYNO RUN CLICK

all was well then the gearbox shat itself..

Locked in 4th. thinking ive snaped a selector fork.

Next step:

More fuel, Gearbox then dyno again. still runing seriously conservative timing ie 10's.

Massive thanks to everyone thats put up with my stupid questions etc. DM MOTORSPORT, Marco, Scott etc and a huge hug and lkisses to phil and the other FD wife beaters (You know who you are )

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi guys.

Just a wee update. Installed another gst450, turbosmart fpr and taken out my feed collector and I'm pretty sure it's sorted my fueling problems. I'll get it on the dyno as pulls on the road is dangerous.

This car is fduking fast haha. I love it!!!!!

Also painted my wheels silver to see how it looks. Might go for gold next.
Cheers for now.

Offline GAVBEY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 12:11:00 PM »
Pics from the shoot.

You can really see the £500 paint job but im not to arsed as it was never built for aperence.

Might spray her white later this year for the crack.

cheers for now

Offline GAVBEY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 12:11:35 PM »
i was also out on my supermoto thats back on the road and like i said mapping the MX7

hers some pics

and some of the MX-7 monster

Hi guys.

not a wild update. ordered new brakes, turbo shat itself and rad shat itself :)

started to dismantle the ic/rad piped to weld on a cast 90 to my turbo and fit the new copper core rad.

welded on the 90 degrees when i noticed some scoring on the compressor cover.. then on the wheel.. then the axial play... turbo is deed. its not completly destroyed but it was close to it.

reason why i think it has gone... 1.6 bar. 4k miles. no dumpvalve and stock 270 trust bearing..rotary.. haha

hot side looks perfect although it will have been scraping on the heat sheld so its foooked.

but not to worry as ive just orederd a new S369 from DM-Motorspot. As per usual beating every price out there.

specs are basicaly S300 frame, 360 thrust bearing, billet 69mm wheel wich flows 105LB/min which is more than the S474!!!!! inconel turbine etc and it will bolt straight onto my hotside of the s366 so pretty chuffed :)

Brakes....

now these arnt my exact brakes but they are the ssame size and calipers. ive to wait 12 weeks for mine to come

8pot calipers , greenstuff pads, 356mm fixed rotors minimum 18" wheels :D yassss

not much else happening really. been building another wee car for a customer. just a mk4 fiesta st. 2.0 turbo with gt28rs turbo and installing the ecu and loom..  using EMS on this one. australian company. about £300 for an ecu, closed loop tuning and everything else you would like. also it has settings for rotary...... if my pfc shits itself ill give one a try :)

fun and games. sorry for the piston pics :D xxxx

Offline GAVBEY

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 12:12:28 PM »
AANNNDDDD thats pretty much up to date....

Waiting for new Brog SXE369 coming and ill need to modify the brass radiator inlets and outlets.

Cheers for now

Offline GAVBEY

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 12:15:29 PM »

just setting up my manual boost controler hence the diffrent results.

1.55bar 497.33 at the rear wheels.

it shows 1.65 bar but this pressure is taken pree intercooler. i get a 0.1-0.2 bar pressure drop as ive previously measured. and ignore the AFR as i tune via my inovate mtxl. this is just the one the dyno lads use.

also the power peaked off as it started missing as it went super rich like 9.5 afr as ive not leaned out the top end yet since fitting my new pump

What is that in BHP? dyno operator says just shy of 570 so ill go with that :)

Offline GAVBEY

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 12:19:01 PM »

Offline clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 08:15:24 PM »
Many thanks for taking the time to post all this up  :wee_hee:
All the best Clive

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 04:31:31 AM »
Wow, that was massive report. Awesome!

She really had rough life before you got her. Do you know what happened to her?

Those exhaust port pics, as far as I can tell they are just basic opened up ports. But with that kind of dyno sheet and power, I´m quessing that intake side has to be big street ports or bridge...?

Anyways, really stunning car, I love it. Oh, and I really like that Miata too :)

And btw, if you have FD, Skyline, Audi and pretty blonde girl in your driveway, life couldnt be better... ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 04:33:44 AM by re japi »
Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/japi_laukkanen/library/Japi?sort=3&page=1

Offline GAVBEY

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 11:10:26 AM »
Wow, that was massive report. Awesome!

She really had rough life before you got her. Do you know what happened to her?

Those exhaust port pics, as far as I can tell they are just basic opened up ports. But with that kind of dyno sheet and power, I´m quessing that intake side has to be big street ports or bridge...?

Anyways, really stunning car, I love it. Oh, and I really like that Miata too :)

And btw, if you have FD, Skyline, Audi and pretty blonde girl in your driveway, life couldnt be better... ;)

yeah imported from japan, guy had it 3 months, put it into a feild and left it for 4 years beside his garage.

as for ports its streetport however i think the centre iron is an FC.

Cheers man :) more to come. turbo should be here soon

Offline GAVBEY

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 05:16:31 AM »
just testing to see if pic works. no way am i paying phuckbucket

Online boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 02:11:52 PM »
Working! My pb is still working atmo....

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.