Author Topic: Rx8 project (probably same as everyone else but different and much betterer)  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
At the moment this is a road car and will be that until it's been modified beyond comfy road driving.

Ultimately the car will end up stripped out, caged, turbod, and for track days, sprinting hillclimbing, but not track racing as that's waaaay too expensive.

Car before i just had the wheels painted black which makes it look so much better!

Car has spacers front and rear to make it look better as the wheels stock don't fit right at all.

Looking so much better with black wheels.

The ride height is something that's always annoyed me, way to high so Iv got a set of Eibach lowering springs coming from Mazda rotary parts in about two weeks as they're on back order but I can wait.

Just waiting on some prices to come back for some falken tyres, recomended by Clive which are a great road tyre from what he says, I don't want semi slicks as like I said this is a road car.

Going for a 245/40/18, pretty much standard  for what rx8 guys do??

Mods I'm going to do;
Arbs (racing beat ones)

Service items;
Clutch
Gear box oil
Diff oil

Clutch sounds a bit noisy, I have done 9,000 miles since it was rebuilt and had a lot of 9500 rpm pulls in many gears, and I think it's been in from original purchase. Not getting an aftermarket one, going to put a standard friction plate in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
I won't be doing any performance upgrades as I can't see the point in the expense to increase natural aspiration hp at the high cost for a poor Hp gain, that money will be set aside for a turbo systems as that will net better gains for the expense

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
Any chance we could get you on track at Japday next year?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
At silverstone? Maybe if I get it sorted in advance. I want to do a track day in this car asap, really want to go to croft as its not too far from me.

Offline rote8

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
Just waiting on some prices to come back for some falken tyres, recomended by Clive which are a great road tyre from what he says, I don't want semi slicks as like I said this is a road car.

Clive is on the money with recommending the Falkens excellent road tyre on the 8
RX of the 8 variety.
Now totally Shy, courtesy of Mazdaspeed body kit, Dotz wheels, large brake kit and custom \'bull bars\'.

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile

Clive is on the money with recommending the Falkens excellent road tyre on the 8
Yeh I know, he's a good un. He's told me all the tyres he's tried and tested himself and what he found about each type. There was another tyre he recomended were great in the dry and even better in the wet but for the life in me I can't remember, but he said they were really expensive. Think they were about £140 a tyre!!

Online clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
The ones I had on when you was in the car with me in the wet at Oulton Grant were Advan Sports.

They hadn't been out long at the time so may have dropped in price now, staggeringly good in the wet and almost like a full racing wet  8)   
All the best Clive

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
That's the ones!! I was amazed how good they were in the wet around oulton park! Best fun Iv ever had as a passenger!

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Next on the to do list is these side strikes, look aweful and I think they should match the wheel colour?

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • RX-8 231, RX-7 FB KIMI 1, RX-7 FB KIMI 2
    • UK
    • View Profile
Just caught up with this topic after I'd been away for a few days - nice one Grant  :)

I'm glad to see you got a Titanium Grey one and agree that the colour suits black wheels. I sprayed my strakes and rear Mazda badges with black plastidip and have two sets of wheels: one black set and one a very dark metallic grey.

I've recently "completed" the grey/black look with a Seibon CF bonnet and even black Racing Brake front calipers (all supplied by MRP!)

These wheels are a satin black, when (rarely!) not covered in brake dust  ;D

Hope to see you on track with the 8 sometime!

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 05:56:06 PM by Casey »
RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.
RX-7, KIMI 1 ,1st Gen,Silver,1983 - SORN
RX-7, KIMI 2 ,^^Ditto - MOT and active

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Looks great
How did you fair against those little lotus's? Croft is a circuit I really want to go around in my car, I went watching some classic bike racing around there and it looks like a really great track for a first timer. Oulton park which is just as close(ish) as croft feels more like a more technical track with practically no straight and many elevation changes! Plus I did that track in the wet! Not fun at apl

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Any body got 5grand they want to give me for carbon car parts?

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Email yesterday, my Eibach springs will be here monday

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
You fitting yourself? I just got a new coil spring compressor works of my battery ratchet gun.
Its the dogs b@#llocks! Dropped strut in compressed spring in 5secs..

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Yeh doing em myself, got some compressors and an air compressor and impact gun too make things nice and quick