Author Topic: Chris's Winter Mods  (Read 4735 times)

Offline C J R

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Chris's Winter Mods
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2016, 07:26:36 AM »
Made some progress with the new oil catch tank. Went for a design with twin inlets and a vented cap. Finding a place for it in the engine bay was a problem, but settled on a space under the IC pipework where the original battery and fuse boxes were located. Designed an aluminium bracket to locate off the IC mounting which is St.St and solid, so it shares the load from the expansion tank.
Catch tank is pretty robust, but added another support bracket (for just in case).

Pictures attached;

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • RX-8 231, RX-7 FB KIMI 1, RX-7 FB KIMI 3
    • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2016, 10:20:56 AM »
Nice big of fabrication there Chris to fit in such a tight space  :)
RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.
RX-7, KIMI 1, 1st Gen S2, Silver,1983 - SORN
RX-7, KIMI 2,^^Ditto - now sold
RX-7, KIMI 3, 1st Gen S3, Red,1984

Offline rote8

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2016, 08:07:30 PM »
Did someone not tell you Chris that you are supposed to use a Workmate to hold the item you are drilling, or cutting and, not to sculpt the working surface.  ;D
Finance dictated it had to go 13 months ago,  after 14 years in an RX8 regretted ever since.

Offline C J R

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2016, 10:20:32 PM »
Did someone not tell you Chris that you are supposed to use a Workmate to hold the item you are drilling, or cutting and, not to sculpt the working surface.  ;D

Oooops, that's where I've gone wrong  ^-^ that's 20 years of missing the mark  ???

Offline exiled-viking

• exiled Viking modding on MRC
  • MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2016, 10:32:28 PM »
some nice work there Chris  ;)

Online re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2016, 04:59:31 AM »
Wow, good job Chris! Looks really good :)
Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/japi_laukkanen/library/Japi?sort=3&page=1

Offline C J R

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2016, 12:31:18 PM »
Weather has been responsible for delaying finishing this little mod. Anyway as I was already wet from doing another job (read about it under Members Chit Chat)  ???
I managed to finish off the venting and pipework.

I already has a 1/4" BSPT elbow with a 10mm hose tail out of the top of the oil filler cap, but I wanted to increase the venting from this area, so I replaced it with a 3/8" BSPT elbow with a 12mm hose tail. I know this may mean more oil is blown out through this vent, but I'll see what happens.
Didn't have a 3/8 BSPT tap, so worked out the hole diameter using a crude stepped drill bit and managed to use the Brass thread to cut the thread in the plastic oil filler cap.

Clear hose used from the filler cap vent and silicone hosing from the side vents off the filler neck, one to the old catch tank, one to the new catch tank with the oil cap vent.

Went for a quick test...... :D FD's on boost are just addictive  :whoo:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:34:02 PM by C J R »

Online re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2016, 10:02:19 AM »
Um, havent hear or read what happened to her...? Was it bad? :(

Lähetetty minun E2303 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

Offline C J R

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2016, 12:33:25 PM »
No news yet. Replaced Land Rover Tow Vehicle with a slightly newer version.

Cannot find a decent sized trailer for reasonable money, but still looking.

Still arguing with Insurance over repair costs for the FD. So far they've offered to pay half the repair costs !!!! Think this year is a write off as far as using the FD again  :angry5:

Online re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2016, 01:40:36 PM »
Ok... Well, tow car is easy to replace. And trailer too. But your trailer was really good looking and I bet it was really expensive. Cause those kind of trailer are really expensive here too...

Do you have a list what you need to repair on FD? :/

Always when car is even slightly modified, insurance company wont pay, even thought they will wants you to pay "special car" price. Well, hopefully your fight is over soon and company pays. Then you can fully put your mind into rebuild... So, good luck Sir :)

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2016, 04:20:44 PM »
Insurance company are con artists!   Just had a right battle getting my cars insured...been with 5 years....thats 5k theyve had from me.....the impreza was stinger....6 years ago i banged up the evo on black ice with 7 years claimfree b4 that.....took 4 months to agreement a settlement.
Stick to your guns Chris and literally ring them everyday i did with the evo and i sent them ads for cars for sale. Outcome was satifactory in the end i ended buying the car back and repairing and a few quid in the bank.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi.  EX Track car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline C J R

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2016, 05:12:36 PM »
So, fed up waiting for insurance to finalise an offer, so figured I might get the FD ready for the MOT Sprint at Blyton next Saturday. That was a daft idea !! Doh.

FD hasn't run since the accident, just pushed it in and out the garage.

Fixed a coolant drip (clip was crap) and thought I'd run the engine up to temp. All was well, ran for 10 minutes, just getting warmed through and was holding a tick over, so I thought I'd hop out the driver's seat and check if the coolant leak was cured now the system had pressure.
Oh I though, that's a lot of coolant on the drive, oh that's a bloo.y lot of coolant, but it smells like...... yup, PETROL.
Main petrol pipe had burst and I hadn't noticed. about 2 gallons of Shells finest spread under the FD and running down the drive to the garage.

Thankfully I had a bag of sand and after a few swift minutes of chucking it all over the drive, the worst of what could happen was averted.

Traced the problem to the rubber hose that comes from the filter, completely cracked all over.

New bit of pipe fitted today and Engine run up to temp ok and the petrol, well its an FD so most of it went out the exhaust  :))

Offline exiled-viking

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2016, 05:25:46 PM »
Will your bad luck change Soon I hope so, cant understand your insurance taking so long... After my crunch almost two years ago they where on the ball from the off they let Clive order all my new parts and any that i could get from Mazda Direct they let Coventry do that then paid me to sort out the spray shop and build then they paid me an hourly rate to fix it ...... I think there dragging their  feet a little.  HOPE things change for the better soon Chris ;)

Offline shaunwil

• Extra Special Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2016, 03:50:34 PM »
You'll get it all sorted !

Shaun
1994 White FD with A-spec GT3574R - 358bhp at the hubs at 0.9bar :3gears-lh
2003 Mondeo 2lt 130ps Diesel Estate Daily :driving

Offline exiled-viking

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2016, 10:04:32 PM »
Any new yet Chris on the Insurance sorting you out any news on the rebuild......???