Author Topic: Cobra alarm problems with immobilliser  (Read 312 times)

Offline Knet

• MRC Overseas Guest
    • View Profile
Cobra alarm problems with immobilliser
« on: January 26, 2016, 08:49:20 PM »
I am asking this for a friend who has bought a FD (which I am willing to buy if I can get it sorted out) and he has a major problem with the alarm.

I dont know which Cobra alarm it is, but it has a Cobra sticker on the drivers window. And to make the matters worse, he only has 1 key, no remote, no reserve key.

It all started very sudden, car was idling just find and just died and doesnt start since and all it does when you turn the key, is a steady *beep beep beep....* from the immobiliser (we think)

To make it even more annoying, the car seems to shut down the power when every *beep* stops. If we roll down the window for example, it goes down with every *beep* but stops once the *beep* stops. Its hard to explain, but I hope you guys understand.

Does anyone know where to start looking, or how to get it off, since there is no remote. I'd like to do a compression test on it, and thats a bit hard now :D

Online boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
Re: Cobra alarm problems with immobilliser
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 09:18:35 PM »
If theres no remote or reserve immobilse fob then how has he been disabling the immobilser before starting?
Sounds like summit else going on. Have you tried with it jumped from a running car?
Without a fob n reserve key the immobilser part of the alarm must be bypassed already.
Any decent auto electrician or alarm installer can take it out.
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Knet

• MRC Overseas Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 10:20:27 PM »
I'll have to ask, not sure if he tried that already. He did put in a new battery. And as for how did he disable it before, well I dont think it was ever on, as he has to lock and unlock the car with the only key he has.

But it does seem like the car shuts off power in the same rate as the *beeps* occur. That's what I find a bit strange.

And yeah, it will probably be best if someone removed it all.

Online boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 08:23:47 AM »
If theres power on the unit and ignition turns off the immobilser function will auto arm in 30 secs. 
So if has just been starting with key then there is no immobilser cutting the circuits. Usually fuel and coils but some cut ignition so no power on clocks.
The immobilser may be in there but does not sound like connected to me. This sounds like a flat battery or bad connection. Check the basics but  prob worth getting aa or local garage to send someone out. Decent mechanic can check the basics in under an hour.
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Knet

• MRC Overseas Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 11:06:17 PM »
Hmm, point taken. As its not the fuel or ignition being cut, but the whole power. But battery is new and I dont think its a bad connection either. As I said earlier, it has something to do with that beeping. The car keeps beeping once every 2 seconds. So one second it has power, the other when the beep occurs, it doesnt have power. And even then, the lights on the dash are lit and one keeps flashing on the same frequency as the beep. Would perhaps be a bit easier if I had the car here, so I could make a little video.

Online boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 07:51:41 AM »
In pos 1 on ign switch there is a continous tone buzzer that comes on with the ignition switch. Im wondering wether in fact the ignition relay has gone bad and this beep beep is coming from there. Find out which light is flashing please.
If the immobilser is still in there but been altered could be 1 of those relays playing up. I had a similiar problem years ago on a car off mine. And it was a bad relay in alarm module. Took me a few hours to remove alarm. Im an electrician so was fairly straight forward.
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Knet

• MRC Overseas Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 09:08:27 PM »
Will try to get a video, might be easier to pinpoint the problem.

Online boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 07:47:16 AM »
Yes get a vid up and look under bonnet for an alarm siren...also remove plastic trim to the right of throttle pedal...if theres an alarm/ immobilser in there its more than likely mounted next or above the fuse box in the cabin.
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Dragun

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 05:52:56 PM »
Had a similar issue with my Clifford......ended up removing the complete dash out and ripping the whole alarm system out.  :P so
I feel your pain, very frustrating.

Factory central locking ftw....unless you live in a dodgy area
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rotary Massacre
   Dare To Be Different...