Author Topic: So are Mazda RX-8 Coils really any good ?  (Read 442 times)

Offline Mazdarotaryparts

• MRC Supporting Advertiser
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
So are Mazda RX-8 Coils really any good ?
« on: October 18, 2015, 06:53:07 PM »
Over the years now sadly we have seen many people lose money and have numerous problems with either trying different coils to save money or to try and find some sort of performance advantage over the later Mazda coils .

Not only have we found the last two incarnations of Mazda coil to be very very reliable, but we know now though our Race car 100% that Genuine Mazda coils are more than man enough to help the engine produce 430 BHP !

Through mapping the car with Mazda coils we tried altering the dwell angle again and again and always came back to the Mazda setting.

My mapper actually thought that because RX-7 owners often upgrade to expensive AEM ignition that this may find us an advantage over the Mazda coil----------guess what----------damn waste of money that proved to be and we saw no gain what-so ever in any way through the map  :oops: !!

On top of this I have had traders we deal with tell us that on most R3 models they have come across unless genuine Mazda coils are fitted, even with a re-map they won't run properly.

Bottom line is that through the Race car we have found that on a RX-8 engine you need never look any further than Genuine Mazda coils
Yes earlier 100 and 100A Mazda coils were bad, I even changed one set at 5000 miles for a customer :( .

I can tell you that over the last six years we have sold literally thousands of Mazda coils not only to people on here and trade customers but also Mazda dealers throughout Europe and even out as far as Australia.

With all these sold we have never ever ever seen any 100C coils come back and with the 100B's we have had a hand full, however when we tested the coils secondary voltage we found no problem, so effectively over the last six years with these latest "modified" versions we have not had a conclusive failure.

It would be foolhardy to suggest these or any other coil for any car will last for ever, but all I can say is, had I not had full faith in the operation and durability of these later coils I would never have put them near our Race car even just to fire it up initially.

http://www.racingbeateurope.com/mazda-rx-8-genuine-ignition-coils--spark-plugs-leads-etc-311-c.asp

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:07:29 PM by Mazdarotaryparts »
REgards
Clive

Mazdarotaryparts
Racingbeateurope
Racecarbattery
shyauto

We aim to help and assist our customers make the right choices for their Mazda Rotary or MX-5  whether they be standard or modified. If you need further assistance with your inquiry, please do not hesitate to contact us:-
sales@mazdarotaryparts.com T:- 44 (0) 1474 361 800
sales@racingbeateurope.com T:- 44 (0) 1474 777 800
sales@shyauto.com             T:- 44 (0) 1474 771 800

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
Re: So are Mazda RX-8 Coils really any good ?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 12:38:23 PM »
My only opinion on this is that Mazda should recognise the coils as a service item and lower there prices for replacement to something more realistic. Vag 1.8t engines are none for coils failing and there £18 ea. To replace.
Coils failing and taking the engines out has led to the poor reputation that the rx8 engine has when it fact its an electrical component bolted to it!
Mazda is reponsible for this and have made a fortune out of sellin coil packs and cats!
Ben and Clive strive to offer a solution with knowledge alternatives and supply a mazda gen part lower than mazda themselves. Both should be commended. Bought several sets of coils b and cs from Clive and our r3 has d585 s from Ben. Personally choice is rev C coils from Clive...because if i had a prob i know the aftersales service is 2nd to none and another set would arrive in the post very quickly. And i dont have to worry about dwell times etc etc.
Mazdas fault .
Lol, coils and oil bit like politics and religion......
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.