Author Topic: Recent RX7 Purchase  (Read 2746 times)

Offline cknott94

• Just joined!
    • Newcastle, UK
    • View Profile
Recent RX7 Purchase
« on: July 17, 2015, 06:57:25 PM »
Hi Guys,

I came on the forum a while ago and was looking for my first FD, after a look search it's finally done and I picked up the new love of my new just over a week ago! Some pictures attached for what I hope is viewing pleasure, it's a standard 1993 RX7 that was bought in the UK meaning I had no problem with insurance since it isn't an import! Only cost me £1000 to insure and I'm 21!

Just thought I would drop in and share my new car I'll be searching the forums because I have a lot to ask and find! Some of which I haven't found yet so if anyone could point me to the post or shed light on it that would be fantastic!

I'm looking to change the headlamps to led and the rear plate lamps as well, I've looked and found the rear plate ones but for the headlamps I can't seem to find anything! Also anyone seen an FD with wind deflectors I literally cannot find a single photo or item to buy cause I want to se if they look okay!

Cheers Guys and I'm glad to finally be part of the Rotary Nation!

Craig.

Offline Sonic

• View Profile
Re: Recent RX7 Purchase
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 08:11:06 PM »
Nice,  looks clean!

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • RX-8 231, RX-7 FB KIMI 1, RX-7 FB KIMI 3
    • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 11:09:53 PM »
 :welcome: to the MRC.

Wow, the paintwork on your FD looks amazing. A really clean looking car you acquired there. Hope you'll bring it along to a show/event sometime, for us to drool/dribble over  ;)
RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.
RX-7, KIMI 1, 1st Gen S2, Silver,1983 - SORN
RX-7, KIMI 2,^^Ditto - now sold
RX-7, KIMI 3, 1st Gen S3, Red,1984

Offline neil_jdmr

• Major Contributor
    • Northumberland
    • View Profile
    • http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/neil_jdmr/IMGP0420.jpg
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 03:13:27 AM »
Lovely mate, and welcome.

Been around FDs for over 8 years and ive never seen an fd outside japan with model specific wind deflectors. Some have modified other model deflectors to fit but ive only seen one car with what "looked" like factory wind deflectors and that was at a motorsport event in tokyo.

Standard sequential, standard engine, Oem body, 1.2bar, WI

Twins retired. KKK K27 1.25bar courtesy of Jason and Stu

Offline cknott94

• Just joined!
    • Newcastle, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 02:42:46 PM »
Cheers guys, yeah paintwork was redone in 2007 but has some slight blistering on the right front side from the engine bays heat! Overall it's in lovely condition and still has the jack and wheel removal kits in the boot!

Not to bothered about getting deflectors just never seen them on an FD and wanted to check if I liked the look because I had them on my Grande Punto!!

My favourite part of the car is probably the plate. It came on the car but I'm trying to think of ways to make it sound like I bought it haha!! RX (Car) 27 (My Birthday) and then 61 (I have no idea)! Maybe someone can thing of an RX7 connection with 61!! Haha!

Offline cknott94

• Just joined!
    • Newcastle, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 08:39:27 PM »
Was just driving, fairly relaxed not really pushing past 3-4k rpm and suddenly the red light came on to add coolant and the temperature shot up to high.

I stopped straight away as I was just 20 metres from my friends house i could hear bubbling and gurgling with steam coming out the overflow tank beside the drivers headlight and a pool of what I assume is the coolant being dumped on the floor.

Any idea what this could be?

Online boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 10:15:25 PM »
Hi mate.  Goona need to fill plastic and metal reservoirs to full. Re run and look for leaks. Poss coolant leak to low level . 1 is a rad cap pressure spring 1 is just a cap. Dont mix em up.
There is a champayne test youtube will show you how after youve refilled if leak not obvious.
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi.  EX Track car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Online boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 10:34:43 PM »
Just to clarify the champayne test is an engine seal test if you find no external leaks. Refill system cabin on hot and idle car fill both tanks.
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Alexsavv

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 10:35:56 PM »
Nice one Craig!  Saw this for sale, lovey car

Where abouts are you? My fellow 21 year old

Offline cknott94

• Just joined!
    • Newcastle, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 11:34:24 PM »
Cheers Boosted, I did the champagne test was getting a couple of very tiny bubbles when turning the car on and they slowed when the car was running after a few seconds with the water up to the neck. So don't think it's seals (I hope)!!!

I'm in Newcastle Alexsavv, it's lovely I'm completely in love with it but it's giving me headaches after just a few weeks haha! I knew it would be the death of any hopes I had of moving out before 25 but not this quickly!

Online boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 11:50:16 PM »
Sounds fine then on engine. Check the hoses for leaks and check them caps. Also get it up to temp and check fans cutting in.
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline cknott94

• Just joined!
    • Newcastle, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 08:02:56 AM »
The fans didn't cut in just checked, they come on a long time after from what I can see. But they do come on? Maybe the thermostat isn't telling the car it's hot until it's way to hot to do anything with!

Offline cknott94

• Just joined!
    • Newcastle, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 08:03:32 AM »
I'll check hoses and caps tonight, thank you! (:

Offline neil_jdmr

• Major Contributor
    • Northumberland
    • View Profile
    • http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/neil_jdmr/IMGP0420.jpg
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 10:11:45 AM »
WooHoo, another one in newcastle, its been a while i can tell you. Croft trackday on the 28th Aug if you fancy a day out be nice to see another rotary there
Standard sequential, standard engine, Oem body, 1.2bar, WI

Twins retired. KKK K27 1.25bar courtesy of Jason and Stu

Offline cknott94

• Just joined!
    • Newcastle, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 12:32:44 PM »
Woo! Good to know there is people around here, how good are you with coolant leaks?

I would really love to come but the car isn't in top condition at the moment. With the coolant leaking and the possibility of overheating in the engine I don't think tracking the car would help my issues atm!

I'm also getting slight hesitation through the Rev range, still pulls like a train but I can't help but feel I'm missing the full potential. Only way I can describe it is it feels like wheel spin and the revs get stuck, happens sometimes and not others it's doing my head in!