Author Topic: KIMI 2 - Series 2 FB  (Read 8280 times)

Offline Ian.Mothersole

• RX-8 Owners Club Shopkeeper
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • RX-8OC Shop
Re: KIMI 2 - Series 2 FB
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2016, 12:16:15 PM »
Any more progress on this??
Let me know if you need a hand, I'll be on leave from work in a week :)
Ian.M - Keep It Simple!
RX-8 231, Velocity Red
Hayward Rotary ported engine; Racing Beat exhaust, flywheel, air duct, and anti-roll bars; Cusco front strut bar; Eibach springs, and wheel spacers; AxialFlow short shifter; Prodrive PZ spoiler.

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • RX-8 231, RX-7 FB KIMI 1, RX-7 FB KIMI 3
    • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2016, 12:12:50 AM »
Thx Ian, I cleaned up the area and let the car stand. There is definitely a small leak somewhere, probably from the manifold, as there is a sign of dampness on the exhaust pipes and in that general area, but not enough to cause any drips under the car after c 10 days. Not sure whether to leave it for now, as it seems so minor, and have a proper look at it later in the year, or see to it soon, in case it gets worse.....

Maybe if you are around to help I might bite the bullet and remove the carb/inlet and take a good look at what's happening. It needs a good clean around there too, so will allow that to be done at the same time.
RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.
RX-7, KIMI 1, 1st Gen S2, Silver,1983 - SORN
RX-7, KIMI 2,^^Ditto - now sold
RX-7, KIMI 3, 1st Gen S3, Red,1984

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2016, 09:01:30 PM »
Yes, it does look like there is a minor leak of coolant from the inlet manifold. It takes about 10 days to produce a drip on the floor, so I'm going to leave it for now as I have a spare carb and manifold, plus a carb rebuild kit. I'll rebuild the spare carb and clean the new manifold to replace at some stage.

Here's a pic of the damp patch which only started to appear after the car had stood for about a week, and no drip yet under the car.

RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2016, 09:05:13 PM »
I know its a bit of bodgers way out but have you considered kseal? I not suggesting the whole bottle but a teaspoon full. Will find that hole and seal it up for good. A teaspoon full wont block your matrix or anything else...and give you the confidence to use the car.
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline cib24

• MRC Full Club Member
  • American residing in England
    • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2016, 09:15:49 PM »
I love sorted FBs. Maybe I will own one some day as a third or fourth car. This is a pretty decent review of a mint FB from the US. I am sure you guys will appreciate it.

1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS

Mods - Twins @ 1.03 bar, Full 80mm (3") exhaust, Greddy SMIC, Stock Airbox, AEM WI, HKS TwinPower, Koyo N-Flow, Ohlins, Poly Bushes

12 Nov 17
398 Bhp (340 Whp) @ 6,036 RPM
350-360 lb/ft (299-307 Wlb/ft) @ 2,900 - 6,100 RPM

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2016, 09:56:26 PM »
Jon is correct, a small bottle of K Seal will sort it and won't block anything up.

People have stripped Rotary engines after using K Seal and found that the stuff is still alive with nothing blocked .

It is so good, sadly a few Rotary's have been bought with water seal failure and put back out on the market without a re-build with just K Seal added, yes it is that good.     

I am told some vehicle manufactures actually use a K Seal  type substance on the production line because it will not harm anything, however should a leak, from say a head gasket start then it is sealed straight away before anything develops .       
All the best Clive

Offline Hobbawobba

• Worcester
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2016, 06:18:23 PM »
No need for any sealing products I don't think. Just keep an eye on water levels until you take the manifold off. Half an afternoons work :)

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2016, 09:11:17 PM »
Thanks guys, I ordered some K-Seal as soon as I saw the first two posts. I was already aware of the stuff but have never used it before. From talking to several people it's good stuff and won't do any harm to have it in the cooling system as a backup.

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2016, 09:13:50 PM »
I noticed a distinct "squeal" when accelerating above about 2,500rpm in most gears so I'm guessing this is the classic problem with the viscous fan putting drag on the belt. I've just ordered an electric fan and a thermostat to fit to see if that cures the problem. Should release a few bhp too  :)

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2016, 09:18:19 PM »
I used it on a cracked head on 2.2 vectra engine...none for having a soft alloy head...coolant coming up out of the sparkplug hole...filling the coilpack area and dribbling down the block onto the road...literally 1litre in about 5 mins...i shook the bottle...and poured in about 2 tablepoons worth...within 5 mins...stopped. no leak. I done a trackday the next day no issue.
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2016, 09:31:48 PM »
A little progress - every little step takes the car a step further to tidiness  :)

A bit of de-rusting and POR15 (except rattle can hammerite on coil). I masked off the coil label to leave a little "OEM" showing:

The expansion bottle was manky and full of crud, so a thorough clean up and some new stainless jubilee clips for each end of the pipe:

Engine bay; a slightly less rusty air filter cover and new NGK leads:

Offline Hobbawobba

• Worcester
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2016, 11:19:43 AM »
Looking good. It's so much nicer when things are clean/fresh/new aye!  ;D

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2016, 04:17:23 PM »
Looks really good! :)

Lähetetty minun E2303 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/japi_laukkanen/library/Japi?sort=3&page=1

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2016, 09:26:54 PM »
Little by little....

Replaced vacuum "rats nest" with POR15 treated spare, and rubber pipes with silicon hoses (and stainless steel bolts too!). The hoses show up as purple in this flash shot, but they are actually blue!

I also installed a 12" electric fan today. It's fitted and tested, but I have a thermostat to fit too, so I'll removed it all soon to POR15 the fixings to complete the job when install the thermostat. I managed to install the fan so I could reuse the existing shroud, without any modifications to it, to retain a little OEM look. I'll have to see if the 12" fan is man enough for the job, but there is just about room to get two 12" fans in there if needed, but without the shroud.

Installeda 6 way fusebox to allow for any further electrical additions, whilst I was fitting the fan.

Engine bay still needs some work, but getting there slowly.....

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
I've now permanently installed the electric fan and thermostat. In doing so, I removed the rad to flush it, then repainted it, including all the rad mounting metalwork. The foam seals around the oil cooler had turned to dust, so installed new foam seals. The rad had some grunge, but the free fluid that drained was incredibly fresh looking, clear and bright blue.

Oh well, whilst I was doing some derusting and tarting up, I removed some other bits to treat too:

Before;

After full POR15 prep and paint (x2 coats):

Thermostat for electric fan fitted:

Engine bay coming along slowly:

I'm planning to take KIMI 2 to Japday in just over a week and thought I should do a test drive as she hasn't been driven on any extended journey for over a decade  :)

I took her out today for about an hour and 20 minutes, covering about 50 miles on a variety of roads, including some high speed dual carriageway. I stopped twice. Once to simulate being stuck stationary for about 5 minutes to test the cooling fan as it's quite warm today. I'm pleased to report the temp gauge didn't move above 1/3 up the scale. Here's the dashboard after 5 minutes idling smoothly at a steady 800rpm.

Oil pressure when driving is around 70 on the gauge.

I then turned her off for around 5 minutes and she restarted instantly. I stopped to refuel too and, again, she started as soon as the key was turned.

Yes, that's a genuine 40,695 on the odometer  8)

The only niggles (and I can live with those for now  ;)) was an irritating rattle from the dashboard at some speeds and a rattle from the sunroof when open and going over rough roads.

When I got back I checked everything I could and all looks good; no fluid leaks or anything else untoward. Hopefully she'll make the 180 miles to Japday. I'm going down on the Friday, leaving plenty of time for stops along the way (and avoiding motorways). I'm staying overnight in nearby Chippenham, so I don't have to get up at a ridiculous early hour.

I hope to see a few MRC people at Castle Combe  :)