Author Topic: Brake temp on track days  (Read 283 times)

Offline andrewrx7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spiritrx7.com
Brake temp on track days
« on: May 09, 2015, 06:38:20 PM »
Hi,

I've got an cheap run around that I want to use for a bit of track day fun. I'm curious to see what kind of temps the front brakes can get up to (approximately, on standard brakes) after a few laps round a track. Not specifically a rotary, any car would do.

Has anyone measured these temps when they've been out?

Ta!

Offline neil_jdmr

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • Northumberland
    • View Profile
    • http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/neil_jdmr/IMGP0420.jpg
Re: Brake temp on track days
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 08:31:09 PM »
Thermal paint
Standard sequential, standard engine, Oem body, 1.2bar, WI

Twins retired. KKK K27 1.25bar courtesy of Jason and Stu

Offline andrewrx7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spiritrx7.com
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 09:10:03 PM »
Thermal paint

Huh?  ;D

To put my question into context, just trying to decide on what pads to use. Can't decide! I 've been through a set of Yellowstuff, and while the brakes were still good after a number of laps, they certainly seemed softer with less bite/grip, which I am thinking is a bit of brake fade cropping up. So, been thinking about trying Mintex Racing (M11 compounds) or Ferodo DS compound. But it seems DS2500 and the 1144 pads top out at around 500'C, while the DS3000 and 1155 have a higher temp range. Yellowstuffs, as far as I can see, have a top end of anything from 500-700'C depending on where you look, so pretty much the same as the 2500's and 1144's.
So, if the fronts on an average road car doing half a dozen laps round a track (specifically Bedford, GT circuit), only see a few hundred 'C, then any of the above would be suitable. But if they do go way above 500, then obviously the 1155 or 3000 are potentially more suitable.
My reasoning may be flawed, in which case, I'm happy to be corrected!
(BTW, the fluid has also been changed to ATE Racing fluid).

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 09:27:09 PM »
I really think it depends on how hard you are on the brakes mate...more friction more heat. Ive used yellow stuff and found them to be very good. Thing is with trackdays you can do 6 laps then come in for cool down.. if you wanna stay out longer then your always gonna find the limit of summit wether brakes tyres or engine and driver fatigue....the car your using has it got brake dust shields?. You can remove these to get better airflow and hence cooling.
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi.  EX Track car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.