Author Topic: Rx7 fd been stood for 3 years...  (Read 426 times)

Offline Ross Borland

• Just joined!
    • View Profile
Rx7 fd been stood for 3 years...
« on: March 31, 2015, 06:49:41 PM »
Hey guys, I'm currently looking at a 93 fd. Mainly just for a little tinkering project to keep me busy, and for a long time now I've wanted one of these!

Problem is that it's a bit far away to arrange a viewing easily.

Speaking to the seller, the last time he drove it, "it was low on power" and his mate told him it needed a rebuild so he parked it in his garage and hasn't started it for 3 years now.

There's been no compression tests done or any attempt to find the fault. To be honest I really don't think the guy knows anything about the car. (I know that's a bad sign as to how well it's possibly been maintained previously! )

Now I'm just looking for your opinions - do you think it would be worth the gamble that its a relatively easy fix to get the engine running in the short term, and budget for a rebuild asap, or not worth the hassle?

It's an import and has been garaged for the last 3 years so I'm confident the body etc will be solid and the pics look clean.

Sorry for the lengthy story!
Thanks!

Offline neil_jdmr

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • Northumberland
    • View Profile
    • http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/neil_jdmr/IMGP0420.jpg
Re: Rx7 fd been stood for 3 years...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 04:14:23 PM »
If its very VERY cheap then yeah could be worth a punt. If it were me i would price in a full rebuild, brakes, suspension, tyres and ancilleries then if it was still financially viable then take a look at it.

Otherwise just look for a freshly rebuilt car with a spec to suit you. probably not a big difference in price either way tbh
Standard sequential, standard engine, Oem body, 1.2bar, WI

Twins retired. KKK K27 1.25bar courtesy of Jason and Stu