Author Topic: FD Hub conversion on NA MX5  (Read 446 times)

Offline Skifledanabit

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
FD Hub conversion on NA MX5
« on: January 26, 2015, 02:49:45 AM »
I swear I posted a topic like this ages ago but can I find it? Nope...

Anyway... This is where I'm up to...

As you can (hopefully) see, the FD hub and spindle are pretty much a straight swap (who said you have to use the mx5 knuckles and make a spacer for the hub, pshaw!), I took everything apart, cleaned it and replaced bits like the tie rod ends, lower ball joints, bushes and all the nuts/bolts/washers.

It's kept me busy.

However, now it's nearly complete and ready to put back on the car, I need to know about the tie rod ends and tie rods. They are currently fully wound in and I think the hubs are still toe'd out, how can I get them fully straight? Can I use FD tie rods? Will said tie rods screw into the MX5 steering rack? Will I need to get custom ones made up?

This seems to be breaking new ground, using the full FD hub assembly, as every other forum that has done this have gone for the hub/spindle spacer route.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
1989 Gen 2 EGi http://www.missbanzai.net
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Dragun

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: FD Hub conversion on NA MX5
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 03:46:32 PM »
Possibly the steering rack to knuckle is closer than on an FD. You can always cut the threads on the tie dos to where you have slight toe in, that way you'll be able to adjust the tie rods to have straight, in or out toe as you like.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rotary Massacre
   Dare To Be Different...