Author Topic: rotary sparky gods unite i need help  (Read 431 times)

Offline mikey-t

• Contributor
    • View Profile
rotary sparky gods unite i need help
« on: December 26, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »
right then guys, i am in the process of doing my rebuild as most of you know.
but i have a few questions on my wiring which i appreciate i am making bloody awkward, so as simply and quickly as i can heres my problems

first things first this is my plan for my battery relocation and power loom rewire. please highlight anything i may have missed or havent thought of.

sorry for the crudity of the diagram. but it makes the point

also on the standard loom on the positive battery post is a box of 5 fuses/relays from what i can gether these supply power and fuse things on the front horseshoe loom so things like fans and lights etc,even fuel pump  most of which i have deleted or have standalone. so do i HAVE to have this here still or is there a better method, i was thinking of a aftermarket fuse block / relay block wired in with what i need. or do i have to keep the standard stuff. again suggestions / inspiration welcome

then there is this doozy.coils and such will be covered by the haltech but there are things the haltech doesnt cover, things like alternator charging system etc.

i have simplified this loom to this point but if anyone can fill in the gaps i have that would be awesome,
i can remake this loom also but would like to get rid of everything that is not necessary.

loom one and loom two are actually the connectors from the fuse block / diagnosis port into front horseshoe

so any help is welcome also inspirsation, give me pictures or details of what you did, i dont want to go to the level of in cab breakers on induvidual circuits but im sure you can see the way i have been going

Offline shaunwil

• Extra Special Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: rotary sparky gods unite i need help
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 12:21:10 PM »
Has the whole of the horse-shoe loom gone completely ?

I'm not even sure where to start. Took me forever to do my wiring trying to figure everything out. I didn't have any of the original wiring at all though !

Shaun
1994 White FD with A-spec GT3574R - 358bhp at the hubs at 0.9bar :3gears-lh
2003 Mondeo 2lt 130ps Diesel Estate Daily :driving

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 01:24:25 PM »
Gotta agree with Shaun. Massive task to rewire car for wipers lights etc. Engine loom awesome idea for reliabilty but as you have original loom for lights switches etc i would personally reuse.
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline mikey-t

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 06:37:40 PM »
the original horseshoe loom is staying i am on about the loom that connects straight to the positive and powers the alternator / starter / coils and also has the control for these and connects to the horsehoe via the two plugs its a mini power loom with a few signal wires in there

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 06:46:29 PM »
Ah ok. Drawing looks fine are you going to relocate battery to boot?
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline shaunwil

• Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 07:00:12 PM »
I ran a long time with a positive running back to the fuse box and and the negative running back to the original point where the engine was ground. Didn't have much issues really.

Shaun

Offline mikey-t

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 09:35:41 PM »
i am in two minds right now, i was going to just run +ive to the front and ground out -ive to the body in the boot.
i am also contemplating running the -ive to a busbar in the bonnet area and then running all my grounds to that. i will have to wait and see what others say, i want it to be the best possible for the road

Offline shaunwil

• Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 10:29:23 PM »
I did that originally then felt the ground wasn't strong enough so ran it back to the original place to where the battery sat. Ran like that for about 3+yrs

There is a good ground next to the passenger door rear where quite a few things are ground (rear window de-mist is one). Easy to run a cable down from the boot.

When I measured the current on the starter the loop gauge showed a max of 370amps ! I have it running on a dedicated 4 gauge feed with a slow blow 200 amp fuse. When I had it going in to the engine bay I used x2 4 gauge cable to the fuse box.

Shaun

Offline mikey-t

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 10:40:46 PM »
yeah i dont want to be running 0 gauge anywhere, i am running 4 gauge on the shorter runs and high ampage etc but +ive and -ive from battery to front i am thinking high quality 4 gauge maybe even 2 gauge for protection.

plus running 2 chunky wires back to front might be a bit space consuming, halfway down with take offs could work