Author Topic: Road tyres with the occasional track day  (Read 563 times)

Offline andrewrx7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spiritrx7.com
Road tyres with the occasional track day
« on: June 06, 2014, 12:19:33 AM »
Hi,
My father in law and I bought a cheap run around to do some track days (we work next to Bedford Autodrome, so not far to go! Lol!).
Anyway, we are not professional track drivers and don\'t want to stretch to semi slicks just yet. We need new tyres now ( got really cheap Chinese tyres on at the moment and want shot of ASAP).
I\'d like to ask for suggestions on what people have used? Basically we want a road tyre but one that is very grippy for the odd track visit. We won\'t be using the car regularly, so wear isn\'t really a consideration because of high mileage. Just wondering whether there is any consensus about what are seen to be the best road/track tyres?
Thanks!

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • RX-8 231, RX-7 FB KIMI 1, RX-7 FB KIMI 3
    • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 12:45:24 AM »
On my RX-8 I\'ve found the Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas to be a good all-round tyre on the road and on track. Wet and dry grip is very good for a road tyre on track. Many other RX-8 owners have reported the same findings (I had two sets!). Not badly priced either.

If you get more seriously into trackdays, then the Federal 585RS-R\'s are awesome tyres on track for the price. Again, I\'ve used two sets of these; in the dry they are a step up from any road tyre (they are road legal though). Dry grip is awesome, wet grip when new-ish is surprisingly good, terrible when worn - well, they are a semi-slick! Not far off Toyo R888\'s in grip, and MUCH cheaper. Price for 235/40 R18 is currently less than £90 a corner delivered from "Mytyres";

LINK

If the car is not a "daily" and you want to focus the car more to track than road, you could get away with the Federals for road and track use.
RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.
RX-7, KIMI 1, 1st Gen S2, Silver,1983 - SORN
RX-7, KIMI 2,^^Ditto - now sold
RX-7, KIMI 3, 1st Gen S3, Red,1984

Offline mpk490p

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://cid-cbfddd9d1485abdb.spaces.live.com/photos/
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 01:13:20 AM »
Another one for the federal 595 RSRs ;)

Offline rote8

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 12:01:46 PM »
Me to for Federals, and what casey said with regard to when they are getting on a bit in the wet, or on cold frosty tracks for that matter.
Finance dictated it had to go 13 months ago,  after 14 years in an RX8 regretted ever since.

Online boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 12:52:32 PM »
What car are we talking about? I must admit when i started tracking years ago used part worns etc...best mod getting a set of 2nd 888s . Always plenty on ebay cheap and last longer than you think.
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi.  EX Track car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline andrewrx7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 03:46:38 PM »
Quote from: boosted;879877
What car are we talking about? I must admit when i started tracking years ago used part worns etc...best mod getting a set of 2nd 888s . Always plenty on ebay cheap and last longer than you think.

Not a rotary....dare I even mention an MG on here?? :2eek MG ZS 180. (runs for cover...but it has a great rep for handling and a great sound V6 engine up front!).

Online boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »
Mate, mg\'s are great track cars...cheap track fun whats its all about. Tyres will transform the cars handling, braking and acceleration...888\'s, dmack rsr\'s summit with stiff sidewalls...

plenty of 2nd hand on ebay...if you get a new cheap tyre with 8mm tread will just squirm about.. want about 4mm ! 888\'s mate imo. i run 888 on my colt 195/50/15...best mod on the car. what size wheels on it?
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline andrewrx7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 06:04:26 PM »
Bit of a less-than-common size, 205/45 r17. Working to a budget, so can\'t stretch to say £150 a corner at the moment. The main semi\'s seem to come in most sizes except for this. I did find 595\'s at 215/40, but been advised the extra width could cause rubbing on the front. Pity, since these are to be had for £90 each. The car came with non std sizes anyway, with the 215/40 on the rear but 205/40 on the front. Think I may well swap the rears to the front and see if I get rubbing. Very tempted with the 595\'s, because they are affordable and have a great rep. Decisions decisions!

Online boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 07:13:36 PM »
search 17" track day tyres on ebay... loads used with 4 plus mm of tread ...they ll last you ages.
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline cyman

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 07:54:28 PM »
federal rsr\'s everyday of the week :wiggle:wiggle

Offline andrewrx7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 03:09:46 PM »
Quick update for reference: due to the size of tyre and limited budget, I didn\'t go for a semi-slick this time. I did veer back to just ruining the tyres that were on the car, but after finding a number of reviews of the front tyres, where delamination of the rubber was reported several times, I decided that a new set was called for. After all, it is the only contact point to the track/road, and I wanted to enjoy cornering, rather than slipping and sliding everywhere.
So after much reading around I opted for Yokohama Parada Spec 2. I have to say, I am pretty impressed with the dry grip these things have! I was pushing pretty hard into the corners round the track and they were certainly hanging on incredibly well. I\'m no expert, but for an almost budget tyre price, these may well be something others could consider. All 4 fitted etc, price was £360.

Online boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »
I got a set of these as well....very good in the wet on track also(compared to 888!). Once you get down to 4-5mm they will come alive as the tread blocks stop squirming about.
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline andrewrx7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
Quote from: boosted;880032
I got a set of these as well....very good in the wet on track also(compared to 888!). Once you get down to 4-5mm they will come alive as the tread blocks stop squirming about.

Good to hear!:driving:Giggle

Offline MikeA7RXR

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 12:57:34 PM »
Hi Andrew
              Do you have an email i can contact you on regarding Spirit R?

Regards

MIke