I pretty well through a 20b build, so I thought I would share some info about what we have learnt from it (never done anything like this before, but fancied a challenge!).
Started a few years ago now - but project was on hold while we moved house, and built a garage - been getting stuck into it now with my dad from November last year, and made some good progress. Learning to weld and work with metal at the same time - not pretty in places, but my neighbor is a welder and he has been checking penetration on stuff.
I think the biggest issue with this conversion is basically choosing where and how to mount the engine, loads of options, but I did not want to move (lower) the steering rack so I retained the FD subframe and pushed the engine back so the front edge sits just above the steering rack.
This meant cutting the tunnel to push the gearbox back, shortening the propshaft (propshaft didservices in heathrow - good guys there)
The powerplant frame was removed, and the gearbox and diff braced.
The way we did this was to measure the angles of the diff (horizontal and vertical) and make sure it matched the engine, basically so they are parallel to each other - they appear to be naturally offset at the rear, the diff is further to the offside of the car.
How we measured this was to ensure the car was level then used a magnetic inclinometer to measure the vertical angles, and made a diff and gearbox brace/mount to that those angle.
For horizontal we just took points of the engine and diff, drew lines out to show the direction and made sure they were parallel, and everything is:
Gearbox brace (part needs cleaning up and painting a little)
The next issue was hood clearance, the engine is higher so the plenum fowls the hood now - so the lower intake manifold was shortened, just cut and welded back up - this was an absolute :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: to weld, had to use a TIG and the aluminium was horrible to work with, and the torch was hard to get into places - this is something I definitely need a lot more practice at. So I just basically gunked it all up with weld up to a point and tried to grind it up and clean it back. Results are OK (ish) probably have another go at this at some point (we will call it a prototype
Its on a test stand (partially built) so I can wire it all up to the ECU and fuel and get it running (next job!)
The engine mounts were built from some pretty heavy mild steel and mig welded, this was an earlier project - so they are a bit messy, but they will hold, other view of engine:
The fuel is going to run from a swirl pot, and fed to the engine from a second pump (under car, with a box to be made for it all, also ignore the piping, got some different fittings to neaten that up)
And the car:
Just waiting for some fuel bits and pieces and then going to get on with that and will keep this updated!