Author Topic: 20b Build/Conversion  (Read 1113 times)

Offline imebgo

• Contributor
    • View Profile
20b Build/Conversion
« on: May 11, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »
I pretty well through a 20b build, so I thought I would share some info about what we have learnt from it (never done anything like this before, but fancied a challenge!).

Started a few years ago now - but project was on hold while we moved house, and built a garage - been getting stuck into it now with my dad from November last year, and made some good progress.  Learning to weld and work with metal at the same time - not pretty in places, but my neighbor is a welder and he has been checking penetration on stuff.  

I think the biggest issue with this conversion is basically choosing where and how to mount the engine, loads of options, but I did not want to move (lower) the steering rack so I retained the FD subframe and pushed the engine back so the front edge sits just above the steering rack.  

This meant cutting the tunnel to push the gearbox back, shortening the propshaft (propshaft didservices in heathrow - good guys there)

The powerplant frame was removed, and the gearbox and diff braced.

The way we did this was to measure the angles of the diff (horizontal and vertical) and make sure it matched the engine, basically so they are parallel to each other - they appear to be naturally offset at the rear, the diff is further to the offside of the car.  

How we measured this was to ensure the car was level then used a magnetic inclinometer to measure the vertical angles, and made a diff and gearbox brace/mount to that those angle.  

For horizontal we just took points of the engine and diff, drew lines out to show the direction and made sure they were parallel, and everything is:

Gearbox brace (part needs cleaning up and painting a little)

The next issue was hood clearance, the engine is higher so the plenum fowls the hood now - so the lower intake manifold  was shortened, just cut and  welded back up - this was an absolute :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: to weld, had to use a TIG and the aluminium was horrible to work with, and the torch was hard to get into places - this is something I definitely need a lot more practice at.  So I just basically gunked it all up with weld up to a point and tried to grind it up and clean it back.  Results are OK (ish) probably have another go at this at some point (we will call it a prototype :)).

Its on a test stand (partially built) so I can wire it all up to the ECU and fuel and get it running (next job!)

The engine mounts were built from some pretty heavy mild steel and mig welded, this was an earlier project - so they are a bit messy, but they will hold, other view of engine:

The fuel is going to run from a swirl pot, and fed to the engine from a second pump (under car, with a box to be made for it all, also ignore the piping, got some different fittings to neaten that up)

And the car:

Just waiting for some fuel bits and pieces and then going to get on with that and will keep this updated! :)

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
20b Build/Conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 07:54:58 PM »
Keep us updated!!! :) And good job, looking good
Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/japi_laukkanen/library/Japi?sort=3&page=1

Offline imebgo

• Contributor
    • View Profile
20b Build/Conversion
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »
So some good progress over the bank holiday weekend, engine ecu wiring (Link g4 xtreme) has started, all the input wiring complete, and starter circuit etc.. on the test stand.

Had to build an alternator relocation bracket due to engine height again, and also cut down the filler neck seen on this photo:

The bracket is just a mild steel (to be painted) welded bracket - might decide to make a out of aluminium at some point.

The flange on the intake manifold was a bit sorry after shorterning, so replaced it with a 10mm flange that is much flatter, welded it on and cut holes for the intake ports (needs trimming down)  I kept the size on the plate to try and reduce warping during welding - which again is pretty nasty on the cast aluminium (nothing a bit of grinding wont cure!)

Fuel rails + injectors installed, ready for connecting up to regulator and test tank.

and an almosts finished manifold - this has come out ok a bit of welding left on it, then some cleaning up.

It moves the turbo infront of the engine, the turbo wont fit anywhere else (which is why its long)

Hopfully have the engine turning over and idling this weekend on the test stand.

Cheers!

Offline imebgo

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: 20b Build/Conversion
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 10:03:29 PM »
Some updates:

Had a really back bad last year so project went on hold for a bit, 1 back operation later and I am OK again, anyway:

Engine is mounted fully, transmission tunnel has been modified to take the engine back and have space for the giant auto gearbox.

Oil system and cooling is sorted, and a intank bosch fitted.

I went for the Xcessive 20b shorted manifold which is a really good fit (After deciding I can't weld ali well enough!)

In the middle of fitting larger rear brakes and and seperate handbrake.

Also got an idle

And some pics so far

Very please with recent progress, looks likely to have it complete (or at least MOT'd) very soon. :)

Offline BBTuner

• Just joined!
    • Santander (Spain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 02:19:54 PM »
Incredible...

Why did you cut the shell?  Don't understad the reason as what I thought is that was nearly everything plug & play

Good luck!

Offline BBTuner

• Just joined!
    • Santander (Spain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 02:23:07 PM »
Incredible...

Why did you cut the shell?  Don't understad the reason as what I thought is that was nearly everything plug & play

Good luck!

Didn't say anything!  :-[ I understood now

Offline imebgo

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 10:26:15 PM »
Cut the shell/tunnel Fit the gearbox in.

Cut the front because I was too lazy to get the engine in and out with the crane all the time.   

To many choices about what to do to get the engine to fit, but I wanted it back not over the steering rack, and this meant the gearbox went back with it.  Because its an automatic, one that's rather large to be honest (maybe 20% larger then the original auto) it meant I had to cut the tunnel to get clearance. 

Also, its so far back the inlet manifold and secondary rail foul the firewall.

Thanks
/J

Offline Alexsavv

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 10:50:46 PM »
This is just awesome.

Offline imebgo

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 07:30:09 PM »
More progress.. Rear callipers, Handbrake, Brake lines, most of the engine wiring and fuse box.

Offline imebgo

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 07:33:18 PM »
Apologies for the large images.. anyway, cant edit the post?