Author Topic: Sand/Clay in my paintwork  (Read 586 times)

Offline Pidge

• View Profile
    • http://www.britishroadrallying.com
Sand/Clay in my paintwork
« on: April 25, 2014, 02:50:03 PM »
I\'ve had my car parked outside a friends workshop for just under a month now while waiting for parts and doing various things do it.
Unfortunatley the surface outside is a bit sandy/clay, like a orange dusty track. It seems that some of this has stuck to my paintwork, mainly on the top of the back bumper where the number place lights are, as you can imagine on a white car this doesn\'t look great.
I\'ve given it a good wash with a autoglym shampoo/polish mixture and its better but it\'s still there. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions on how to get rid of this?!
This is a picture of my bumper as its stands now...

Offline marf

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 04:45:29 PM »
Claybar might do the trick? Time consuming though.

Offline Macer

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 06:17:57 PM »
Yep, I agree, a clay bar should do it, especially if you can feel this stuff on top of the paintwork.

Offline Mazdarotaryparts

• MRC Supporting Advertiser
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
Surf City Garage - Beyond Clay Paint Polish
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 06:40:54 PM »
Hi Daniel

Why not take a look at the Surf City Garage Beyond Clay paint polish that we sell via
http://www.shyauto.com/bbeyond-clay-paint-polishb-1581-p.asp

Before you get that new paint job costing thousands of pounds, restore your faded paint with Beyond Clay.

This revolutionary polish does everything a clay bar does and beyond! Plus it\'s 100% safe for all surfaces, even clear coats.

Don’t waste money on clay bars. You don’t need them when you use Beyond Clay. Beyond Clay is a paint polish that does not contain harsh physical abrasives like many polishes out there.

Worth taking a look at the video link and the review.
REgards
Clive

Mazdarotaryparts
Racingbeateurope
Racecarbattery
shyauto

We aim to help and assist our customers make the right choices for their Mazda Rotary or MX-5  whether they be standard or modified. If you need further assistance with your inquiry, please do not hesitate to contact us:-
sales@mazdarotaryparts.com T:- 44 (0) 1474 361 800
sales@racingbeateurope.com T:- 44 (0) 1474 777 800
sales@shyauto.com             T:- 44 (0) 1474 771 800

Offline TRIND-FD

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 07:55:08 PM »
That looks like rusty grinding dust.  Go gentle with it.
V8 fd\'s rock :cool

Offline Ashp1989

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 08:43:57 PM »
Yep. Clay bar ftw. Then if that doesn\'t fully get rid then a good cutting compound

Offline Myrddin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 06:44:21 PM »
Before you use a clay bar you\'ll need to lift as much of the contaminate out of the paint as possible otherwise you\'ll just drag it out the paint and cause some major surface damage.

Best thing, when it\'s dry hit it with some snowfoam, don\'t jet wash it off because you\'ll push any contaminates deeper into the paint. Spray it with several coats of snowfoam and that should lift a lot of it away and soften any thing deeper. Rinse it off, don\'t pressure wash it off then while it\'s wet use a clay bar, ideally a softer one as possible as the harder ones like meguairs will grab any contaminates and drag them across the paint. Might even be worth using some tar remover or degreaser to help.

It seems like a lot of effort but if it is as bad as you say and it turns out to be grinding dust or something like that, then the less time you spend with the clay the less time you\'ll spend ending up polishing and restoring the finish.