Author Topic: Dead RX8 : value?  (Read 361 times)

Offline andrewrx7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spiritrx7.com
Dead RX8 : value?
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:55:39 PM »
Hi,
We\'ve had an RX8 parked up outside where I work for maybe 6weeks now. Just found out today that it belongs to the guy who owns the buildings. I\'ve been told that for "various reasons it doesn\'t work". It has been suggested that there may be a deal to be done, suggesting he wants to get rid of it.
I have no idea on values of 8\'s. So asking for opinions please. I know nothing about the car apart from it doesn\'t run. It is a 54 plate.
Anyone care to suggest a price that a 9-10yr old RX8 in non running condition would go for? From the outside it isn\'t in pristine condition either, with a few minor dings in the bodywork.
Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers
Andrew

Offline mikey-t

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:18:55 PM »
£80 per tonne

in all seriousness if the owner is clueless and the engine is flooded its well worth a punt, but if the engine is mullered you would be lucky to get more then £600-£900 for a rx8.
i would get a better look, if it has all the extras and interior is good i would go in with a offer of £600 that way if it is mullered you could break it and sell the leathers sat nav display etc etc over time for maybe a profit. if it is a simple fix you have a nice rotary for next to nothing

Offline Jit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 11:19:09 PM »
sounds like its not worth much at all as mikey says maybe 500-900. depends on what spec it is and overall condition. if its a 192 with dings then obv the bottom end of that. 231 in decent condition would be at the top.

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 08:43:56 PM »
Ive been looking for 1 for awhile as have a few spares coils leads plugs clutch omp and oh running engine! from my build. Important thing is to find 1 with coils gone but reversible carbon build up so a hot start issuing 1. However i would not contemplate buying 1 unseen due to possible bearing failure...for me its a no brainer as i have a spare engine as well and best place to store it is in a rx8 ! Rebuilt cars are not fetching good prices as you expect from a rebuilt 7.
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline andrewrx7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spiritrx7.com
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 11:41:03 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Any obvious way of telling of bearing failure, without pulling the engine to pieces?

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »
Oil leaking rear of engine/gearbox. Swarf in oil. Gonna be gamble at best though cause apex seals still could be worn.
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.