Author Topic: For Sale: 1999 FD, 425bhp Single Turbo, 39.5k Miles  (Read 2043 times)

Offline lockwood77

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heroesofswitzerland.com
For Sale: 1999 FD, 425bhp Single Turbo, 39.5k Miles
« on: November 10, 2013, 08:50:11 PM »
Warning! This is a long “for sale” post, so here are the essential details:

1999 RX-7 Type RS in Innocent Mica Blue, 39.5k miles, 425bhp at 1.0bar from an HKS T51R-KAI turbo, lots of RE-Amemiya and HKS bits, compression test in the mid-6s, lots of money spent on recent maintenance.

Price: £11,000

Click here to see a full set of 29 photos.

I think it’s time for a change – I don’t use the FD much (never really have – 9000 miles in over 2.5 years) and would like to free up some cash to either put into our new house (which we haven’t yet found…) or a different car that I might use more frequently. I also have some modding plans for my FD2 Civic Type-R that will need some cash!

So, for sale is my 1999 Innocent Mica Blue Mazda RX-7 Type RS, formerly owned by Freddy, for those that remember him (haven’t seen him around here much since I bought this off him). I had it thoroughly checked over by RE:Worx before I bought it, so I was confident that it’s a good one. Here are the details:

Mileage: 39,500 (will go up slightly depending how long it takes to sell)
Tax: August 2014 (registered as a 2.6l sadly)
MOT: July 2014
Thatcham Cat 1 alarm fitted with certificate, fully calibrated to MPH (amazingly accurate according to GPS, which is unusual!)
I am the second UK owner after Freddy (first registered March 2009).

The car was modified in Japan by Garage Fukuoh Pro Shop (http://www.freedom-world.com/~fukuoh/), an HKS dealer and the reason for the decals on the side of the car that cause a few double-takes… I have the original Japanese handbooks and service history.

The car came with an HKS F-Con V Pro, but I had RE:Worx fit it with an Apexi Power-FC the day I bought it, as I wanted to keep it easy to get mapped. Freddy told me that the car was rebuilt at 25k and the turbo fitted at 26k, but I have no proof of this. However, I did get a compression test carried out by Keith (Trind-FD) only 200 miles ago (5th Sept – yes, I have used it that little!) with these results:

Rear: 6.7/6.6/6.6
Front: 6.3/6.6/6.2

See pictures of the readings and the data Keith gathered: Front reading, front graph, rear reading, rear graph.

I had done a 50 mile run to meet up with Keith and the readings started to be taken about 10 minutes after the engine was switched off, so it wasn\'t stone cold by any means. The readings may well have been higher if the engine was cold of course.

Exterior

• Scoot fibreglass bonnet with rain trays (Freddy told me it’s genuine and it is of very high quality, but I haven’t seen a Scoot logo on it)
  • RE-Amemiya sleek lights (not HID)
  • RE-Amemiya Facer N1 front bumper
  • RE-Amemiya side skirts
  • RE-Amemiya rear arch extensions
  • RE-Amemiya rear spats
  • Autoexe GT rear wing
  • Jaydee and Kerim told me that the rear hatch with tinted glass (not a film that has been applied – it’s actually the glass that is coloured) is aftermarket and rare/worth a lot, but I can’t remember who they said it’s made by!
  • RE-Amemiya AW7 17” wheels with Yokohama Advan AD08 tyres (255/40 rear and 235/40 front)
  • 25mm wheel spacers all round
  • Locking wheel nuts
  • Buyer can also take RE-Amemiya AC987 rear bumper that was on the car when I bought it
  • I have returned the rear to standard 99 spec bumper and lights, but chose Efini rather than Mazda badges as I think they’re a bit more interesting and unique! :)
  • Full professional underseal done when I first bought the car. The guys who do my MOTs tell me that it will never rust as a result!

Engine

• HKS T51R-KAI single turbo
  • HKS downpipe
  • HKS GT wastegate (currently runs open to atmosphere)
  • Custom 3” stainless steel exhaust with maximum sound baffling and detachable wastegate plumbing
  • HKS front mount intercooler
  • HKS intake/filter
  • 850cc primary and 1680cc Bosch injectors in KG Parts fuel rail
  • Uprated fuel pump (HKS according to Freddy, haven’t seen it but it’s definitely not standard!)
  • Fuel pressure regulator, Sard according to Freddy but doesn’t look like the images I’ve found, could be an older one
  • HKS fuel lines
  • HKS Twin Power ignition amplifier
  • Battery moved to boot
  • NGK R7420-10 spark plugs fitted at 36,102 miles
  • Greddy pulleys (belts replaced October 2011)
  • HKS hard intercooler pipes
  • Engine torque damper
  • Triumph fast reacting air intake temperature sensor (fitted at 35,768 miles)
  • Aluminium AST

Having been mapped by RE:Worx when I bought it with an HKS Silent Hi-power exhaust, I had a custom 3” system made so that I could pass trackday noise limits. To this end, I had a pipe made that allows the wastegate to be plumbed into the exhaust, but is detachable, so you can run it open and noisy for maximum power, or closed to pass noise limits.

This was mapped with the wastegate plumbed in by Pip at WGT, where it achieved 396bhp at 0.9bar boost. At the end of last year, I decided to stop doing trackdays, so removed the wastegate pipe and went to Jaydee at Powergains for a map. The car achieved 425bhp at 1.0bar of boost (dyno graph below) and was also mapped at 0.75bar, which is where I usually leave it. I still have the map from Pip that could be loaded back on to the PFC should anyone want to re-attach the wastegate pipe.

Transmission, Suspension & Handling

• Exedy twin plate clutch and flywheel fitted at 35,600 miles, April 2012
  • Gearbox rebuilt at the same time – all bearings, synchros and 5th/reverse hub (5th was the reason I got it rebuilt, as is common). Total cost including clutch and new release bearing: £2448. I must say it’s a little notchy when cold, particularly first gear, but there are no crunches or thuds (which was the 5th gear symptom when it went).
  • Tein Type Flex coilovers
  • New track rods and ends (there was play in a track rod UJ at the MOT in July) fitted 150 miles ago.
  • Full geometry setup 150 miles ago by Tim Gray Motorsport.
  • New brake discs all round and all caliper seals replaced, new brake fluid (Motul RBF600), 400 miles ago.
  • Endless brake pads (spec unknown, work great from cold though).

Interior

• OEM Nardi steering wheel (airbag)
  • Mazda metal RX-7 pedals
  • RE-Amemiya blue gearknob
  • Dash panels and door inserts painted metallic blue
  • Full set of OEM Mazda RX-7 mats
  • RE-Amemiya in-dash gauge pod (where the passenger airbag was…) containing three HKS gauges: oil temperature, oil pressure and boost.
  • Greddy A-pillar gauge holder containing HKS water temperature gauge.
  • Apexi Power-FC Commander in holder.
  • HKS boost controller (switchable between high and low).
  • Sony CDX-DAB500U DAB/USB/FM/CD head unit fitted Jan 2013. There are still several bits of Japanese multimedia system in the car too, but not connected to anything (it had a full Minidisc, satnav, pop-out screen, amp, DVD/CD changer setup when I got it, but it was useless in the UK).
  • All pockets and flaps connected and undamaged.
  • Fetching bit of blue electrical tape obscuring the perma-flashing airbag light, caused by the removal of the passenger side one for the gauge holder.
  • HKS turbo timer and fan control, not connected.
  • Rear seats (not bins).
  • Battery in boot in aluminium box with catch – new Varta Silver Dynamic 027 battery fitted Feb 2012.
  • Space saver spare wheel and OEM toolkit in boot compartments, but no scissor jack.

Advert continues in second post due to character limits! >

Offline lockwood77

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 08:50:41 PM »
Condition & Service History

I’ve taken some photos of noticeable paintwork issues. Unfortunately, some genius before me decided to put the car under a cover, which has resulted in tiny bumps appearing on parts of the GT rear wing and front bumper (I couldn’t take a good photo of these). The cover may also be the reason for the scratch on the passenger side front wing (see photo). The same wing has a small dent on the upper part (see photo).

I’m not sure what was going on with the rear hatch, but the paintwork is not exceptional (although a very good colour match) – there is a noticeable paint run toward the rear edge (see photo) and a small patch of (I assume) rust bubble near a wing stantion (see photo).

There is a crack in the paintwork on the opening edge of the central bonnet vent (see photo) and quite a lot of stone chipping to the front bumper (see photo – unavoidable with such an expanse of plastic close to the ground). You may also notice in the photos that the front edge of the side skirts forming the bottom of the front wheel arches are heavily chipped – again, difficult to avoid.

The wheels have no kerbing, but there is a small amount of bubbling and paint flaking, particularly on the fronts around the nut holes, although it doesn’t seem to show in the pictures much.

The interior is very good – no rips, marks or tears and as far as I can tell, no smoking has ever taken place inside. Everything works and looks nice, with the exception of the blue tape covering the airbag light…

Mechanically, the car has wanted for nothing – I undertake regular maintenance, including of course oil and filter changes with 10/40 mineral oil every six months. The coolant was changed last summer, as was the fuel filter (courtesy of Tim Gray Motorsport). At this time, I also got Tim to put new heatshield sleeves on the piping around the turbo, which is “Speed Shield Sleeve” (see http://www.thermalvelocity.co.uk/Line-&-Hose-Protection/Speed-Shield/p-114-420/).

The diff and gearbox oils were changed 150 miles ago using Motul Technosynthese 75w90, at the same time I had the new track rods and ends fitted. This also required a full geometry setup by Tim Gray Motorsport, meaning this has been done only 150 miles ago. The brake and clutch fluid was changed for Motul RBF600 400 miles ago, when the new discs and refurbished calipers were fitted. The HKS filter element has done approximately 2500 miles.

So, I’m asking £11,000 for the car – not cheap for an FD, but it is pretty rare as a 1999 car with low miles, it has a very high spec/quality mods and has had a lot of love and money lavished on it. The buyer should also not have to do anything to it in terms of maintenance for a while either – I will even change the oil and filter before sale.

Contact me by PM, email ian@heroesofswitzerland.com or call 07970 227349. I am on the Nottingham/Derby border near the M1, so easy to get to.

No, I am not breaking it! :)

Offline nadz

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 10:04:54 PM »
Do you have the original 99 spec spoiler for this?

Offline lockwood77

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 11:10:21 PM »
No, it came with the Autoexe GT wing. Likewise, I had to source the 99 rear end to return it to standard.

Offline YAU730

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=677684874
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 12:39:03 AM »
Bump for the top spec car, so ur car made more power with a open screamer pipe?
Michael Yau

Offline lockwood77

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 02:30:41 PM »
Car is still for sale - price is now £10,000 as we have found a house to buy and it will need some work.

I have had the steering rack and pump completely refurbished with new seals. Geometry has been re-done and car corner weighted at 1245kg with a quarter tank of fuel. That was all done by Race DNA in Leicestershire.

I have done less than 400 miles since the original post, so car is still just under 40k miles.

Realised I never answered the last question above - yes, made about 25bhp more with an open wastegate, which is pretty standard from the research I did beforehand.

Offline lockwood77

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 11:03:37 PM »
After a chat with Si (cyman) and a look back at the last six months of 99+ FD sales, I think I was being a bit optimistic with the asking price, so have lowered it to £8500.

Whilst I think the quality and cost of the mods on my car justify a higher price, I appreciate that mods don\'t generally add money to a car and I think this is a realistic price in relation to other cars that have sold recently when you look at the spec and amount of maintenance recently carried out.

Offline cyman

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 11:39:02 PM »
I would like note that whilst I have pointed out that the prices of recent 99 spec cars are much much lower than the previous asking price for anything that is not an immaculate standard car I have in no way suggested that the value or sale price of this car should be £8500 and that this price is purely what the seller himself values the car at.

Offline nadz

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 08:48:47 AM »
Cyman buy it. It\'s at a very good price.

Offline cyman

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 09:01:15 AM »
Nadz I know you want prices to be high as your selling yours soon but there are many reasons why I personaly wouldn\'t pay anywhere near this price but this is lockwoods for sale thread so I don\'t wish to post a list of reasons why.

Hopefully he will find the right buyer and get what he wants for the car