Okay, time for an update on the test day at Llandow. First of all I ran out of fuel before I ran out of talent so that must be good, leaving with empty fuel cans and everything else the same shape as it arrived is always the sign of a good days testing.
It was wet, not just a little but full on monsoon wet, even with full wets it was a lot of fun trying to keep it between the lines.
We started the day with a little scare, sighting lap, half way through the first warm up lap.... Oil Pressure alarm... Engine off, towed off the circuit fearing the worse. Turns out the sensor interface SSI-4 (0-5v to serial) was intermittent, rather than packing up with no pressure alarms we made the foolish decision to carry on for the day in the knowledge that if both the fuel and oil pressure were reading 0 it was likely a false positive! We got lucky, not the recommended best practice approach guys!
Made loads of progress with the fuel map on the new engine during the day, a little more work to do at the top end (I'm also suspicious of a weak 044 pump but have no evidence due to the fuel pressure sensor problem) a we had some intermittent misfires over 8k but only in 3rd and more in 4th (4th is top for me as the diff ratio is all wrong!). Need to check some logs on that over the weekend, the other possibility is that at high 90+ MPH there is some ram air effect into the intake causing the MAP to move to the 106kPa row and over fueling, will do some digging through logs.
The final drive ratio is still wrong (but we all already knew that!), I'm going to order a 4.7 CWP set and rebuild the diff over the winter).
Cooling was good for the day, MAX 93C Water and 85C oil... It was a cool day though and the amount of water going through the front of the car probably helped keep the temps down. So for the time being I'm very happy that those changes have at least made a good amount of difference, will keep an eye on that as the ambient temp goes up and in dry conditions.
New engine seemed great, did not miss a beat all day (apart from the map work) so as a back of the garage ebay parts engine it has excelled in its new role! So this gives us a working platform for events this season.
Jobs to do:
Re-work the loom (it has grown organically during the build and the sensor interface issue was the final straw, it need to be robust and simplified)
Swap out the 044 for a new one (it has taken some abuse over the various fuel problems and is a cheap test worse case I have a spare)
Swap out the non-return fuel valve (the car has never held pressure key off, I have not had any vapour lock problems but I would at least like to know why it does not do that)
Rebuild diff with 4.7 CWP
Swap the fuel pump switch for relay controlled from the ecu, one less thing to worry about and simplified the wiring (ask me how I know you don't want a fuel pump switch too close to the gear stick!)
Remove the dash box - now we have all the warnings, switches on the dash or automated from the ECU the box now only holds the master switch, ignition and start button. They can have far shorter cable runs and be better placed on the PAX side of the transmission tunnel above the battery. Again my new push to simplify everything!
So that's it... I have no idea about lap times at Llandow but we were running in the 47 sec area in monsoon on full wets of the timed laps I was bashing out all the laps withing a couple of tenths so I was happy with the consistency.
We are planning another trip in Jan once we have got a few of the jobs done for some more testing and to test some of the fuel assumptions.