Author Topic: The other rotary Westfield!  (Read 16325 times)

Offline Smiffers

• Contributor
    • South Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
    • Rivet Racing UK
The other rotary Westfield!
« on: March 18, 2014, 12:51:20 PM »
Clive has managed to convince me I should get back on here and share my (not so) handy work over the last couple of years.

So I purchased Brian\'s Westfield a couple of years back (There is a thread about is some place on here) and the project is finally coming towards an end.  We hope to be out competing in Sprints and Hill Climbs this season.

I will find the time to write up some details but pictures speak a thousand words.
Westfield SEiW - 13B-MSP BW 7670 Turbo
www.facebook.com/rivetracinguk

Offline Smiffers

• Contributor
    • South Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
    • Rivet Racing UK
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 12:59:29 PM »
So it seems I cannot work out how to post pictures :(

Perhaps I need to renew my MRC membership before I can post pictures?

In the short term take a look here http://www.rivetracing.co.uk

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 02:16:21 PM »
Guests can post pictures:)  just need to figure it out as there are many ways

Offline RotorHeid

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 03:06:36 PM »
Quote from: Smiffers;875833
Clive has managed to convince me I should get back on here and share my (not so) handy work over the last couple of years.

So I purchased Brian\'s Westfield a couple of years back (There is a thread about is some place on here) and the project is finally coming towards an end.  We hope to be out competing in Sprints and Hill Climbs this season.

I will find the time to write up some details but pictures speak a thousand words.

Hi welcome,
Hope you take your westie up to Doune hillclimb( king of british hill)

Offline Smiffers

• Contributor
    • South Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
    • Rivet Racing UK
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 03:37:40 PM »

Offline Smiffers

• Contributor
    • South Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
    • Rivet Racing UK
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 03:48:17 PM »

Online boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
Cool, Yours looks as comfortable as mine! Ill have a decent look through build when at home (at work)....What did she make on the rollers? Ecu std? any porting?
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 04:22:03 PM »
Those header look mightily hot!!

Offline Smiffers

• Contributor
    • South Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
    • Rivet Racing UK
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 04:26:18 PM »
The ECU is a universal Adaptronic unit - 440D.  My own porting has been performed on all the intake and exhaust ports but nothing exotic like the aux bridge on your engine.  I have done all the work myself so was not brave enough to experiment,  I think that is best left to people that have a clue what they are doing!

I have a problem with the engine, an oil control issue of some kind.  I can\'t get to the bottom of it but have been focusing on all the other things like the daytime MOT that it passed at the weekend :), body work etc.  Ultimately that engine problem stopped the tuning on the dyno but we did see 205 FWHP at around 6500rpm before we called a halt.  As I\'m doing the tuning myself it has been an expensive learning curve as the dyno hire costs £££\'s

So I\'m going to get it road legal and do some of my own testing to narrow down the conditions that cause it to consume oil and then enlist the help of Carl.  In fact Carl has been kind enough to talk me through some fault finding already but that has not turned up any obvious fault.

Online boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 04:50:37 PM »
Been out in mine running it in....i have a daytime mot! Youll get lots of waves and thumbs up! Hope you get the oil issue sorted.
I may go adaptronic next year but no money in budget this year...and it looks like im gonna have to pull the diff for a rebuild. Defo duct in the rad and oil cooler will help keeping temps in check.
Great to see another .
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Smiffers

• Contributor
    • South Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
    • Rivet Racing UK
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 04:52:25 PM »
Yes they do seem to get hot; it is a point of contention currently as I can\'t work out if that is too hot and there is another issue.  That photo was taken under atmospheric load with the dyno holding at sites between 4500 and 6000rpm so the engine is working very hard at that point for sustained periods.

When I get back onto the engine I need to double check the timing as a very retarded timing will give you that pleasant glowing result (or very lean mix but that would be more obvious through the AFR data).  I manufactured the headers from pretty thin stainless so it could well be the case that they just have a low thermal inertia so heat up very fast.

The problem is that the renesis does not have any timing marks I can find so I will first need to go and make some graduations on the pulley and a pointer on the front cover to test.

Offline Smiffers

• Contributor
    • South Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
    • Rivet Racing UK
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 04:58:43 PM »
Quote from: boosted;875849
Been out in mine running it in....i have a daytime mot! Youll get lots of waves and thumbs up! Hope you get the oil issue sorted.
I may go adaptronic next year but no money in budget this year...and it looks like im gonna have to pull the diff for a rebuild. Defo duct in the rad and oil cooler will help keeping temps in check.
Great to see another .

Well if your running in can stretch to the Reading area then you should come and pop in for a visit, I do a good line in tea and cake!  If you do choose to go Adaptronic then the good news is I have done all the hard work for you!  Although if you go Adaptronic plug and play you can piggy back the standard ecu and get ign and fuel control, I have gone standalone but have still kept all of the intake control working as Mazda intended.  The only thing I have dropped is the FBW throttle, which gives me ignition only idle control but that works fine for a race car that you warm up before driving.

If I go turbo I will have a look at the FBW again as that can provide some interesting antilag options :)

Online boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 05:46:33 PM »
Ive been to Reading junction Saturday ! and Oxford junction Sunday!!! Ha i was gasping for a brew! Are you monitoring your oil temp? Just wondering if getting real hot and thinning out and defeating seals. At present im running 82 coolant 76 oil but have not been over 4000 yet. Last engine my oil hit 115 on track and when i fire back up after lunch i had 5 secs of smoke ??? Just a thought?
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Smiffers

• Contributor
    • South Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
    • Rivet Racing UK
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 10:42:57 PM »
Quote from: boosted;875853
Ive been to Reading junction Saturday ! and Oxford junction Sunday!!! Ha i was gasping for a brew! Are you monitoring your oil temp? Just wondering if getting real hot and thinning out and defeating seals. At present im running 82 coolant 76 oil but have not been over 4000 yet. Last engine my oil hit 115 on track and when i fire back up after lunch i had 5 secs of smoke ??? Just a thought?

I\'m inclined to agree that this hypothesis is the most likely candidate.  Oil temps hit 130 on the dyno and may well have taken out the seals.  Will be good to get some on road testing done so I can understand the problem before I pull the engine again.

Offline Smiffers

• Contributor
    • South Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
    • Rivet Racing UK
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 10:51:07 PM »
Managed to get a little job done tonight and got the aeroscreen fitted.