Author Topic: insurance going up for everyone or just me?  (Read 2545 times)

Offline unwindcompletely

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 79
  • Karma: +10/-0
    • View Profile
insurance going up for everyone or just me?
« on: December 24, 2012, 08:01:04 AM »
When i first insured my rx7, at 21, 3 years NCD i got a quote from flux direct (Adrian Flux) at £873 as a second car, which i snapped up :D 3k miles per year, social only, garaged etc ...

A year later now 22, with 4 years NCD, everything the same as the above, seems i can\'t get a quote for less than £1900, is everyone finding insurance is going up very fast, or is it just me?

i know im going to get the old "well your a young driver get used it" etc, im not complaining about the price, just asking if everyone is getting a ridiculous rise in there quotes?

Offline unwindcompletely

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 79
  • Karma: +10/-0
    • View Profile
insurance going up for everyone or just me?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 08:27:41 AM »
its is an fd btw

Offline mpk490p

  • Major Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2,743
  • Karma: +10/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://cid-cbfddd9d1485abdb.spaces.live.com/photos/
insurance going up for everyone or just me?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 08:42:29 AM »
I\'m glad I\'m old lol
£300 fully comp modded FD upto 330bhp 3k year limited and breakdown

Mind you I remember paying £1300 for a scirocco 1.8gti when I was 19

Offline Grant Monkhouse

  • Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 4,033
  • Karma: +1/-65535
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
insurance going up for everyone or just me?
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 08:49:02 AM »
Don\'t pay that price whatever you do. That\'s disgusting. Insurances are up because of all the scammers out there. I managed to get my insurance £120 below last years price by searching around and ringing my insurance back up saying I had found it cheaper.

They want your money at the end of the day.

Offline unwindcompletely

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 79
  • Karma: +10/-0
    • View Profile
insurance going up for everyone or just me?
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 08:51:57 AM »
Quote from: mpk490p;845399


Mind you I remember paying £1300 for a scirocco 1.8gti when I was 19


wow wish i could get insurance for price now!! although seems strange so far the cheapest car for me to insure that ive owned WAS the rx7 (quickest and most dangerous?)
even a 1.9D Peugeot 306 cost me £1100 about 3 month previous to first insuring the rx7 haha!

Offline mpk490p

  • Major Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2,743
  • Karma: +10/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://cid-cbfddd9d1485abdb.spaces.live.com/photos/
insurance going up for everyone or just me?
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 08:58:32 AM »
There is a good list on here with lots of companies just hit the phones I had quotes near £700 to, like grant said squeeze them and look out as they will add on extras that add up like key care etc
I\'m using flux to but had a quote from the same company as the previous owner who was 10 years younger than me and they wanted to charge me more, guess it is just a moving market

Offline unwindcompletely

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 79
  • Karma: +10/-0
    • View Profile
insurance going up for everyone or just me?
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 09:08:26 AM »
Quote from: Grant Monkhouse;845400
Don\'t pay that price whatever you do. That\'s disgusting. Insurances are up because of all the scammers out there. I managed to get my insurance £120 below last years price by searching around and ringing my insurance back up saying I had found it cheaper.

They want your money at the end of the day.

i totally agree grant, i wont be paying that price haha, although i haven\'t rang anyone yet, it was just a search on a comparison site, same as i got the original price, pretty sure when i start ringing around the price will drop :D


Quote from: mpk490p;845403
There is a good list on here with lots of companies just hit the phones I had quotes near £700 to, like grant said squeeze them and look out as they will add on extras that add up like key care etc
I\'m using flux to but had a quote from the same company as the previous owner who was 10 years younger than me and they wanted to charge me more, guess it is just a moving market

I\'ve actually just looked at a list on here haha! and will defo call up basically all of them haha!


does anyone know if the specialist will even consider insuring me as a young driver? i know a lot of them are 25 + which sucks for me :(

Offline samoht

  • MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 266
  • Karma: +10/-0
    • View Profile
insurance going up for everyone or just me?
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 12:13:36 PM »
Comparison sites are broadly useless for something like an FD, I\'ve never found a vaguely competitive quote online.  However, after doing an online quote on Mark Richard and getting £10k back, they did then call me up and offer £728.

This was how my insurance renewal went (in sequence):

Adrian Flux - £830 renewal quote
Sky - £792
Mark Richard - £728
Keith Michaels - £650
A-Plan - £619

Note, I\'m sure if I\'d called them up in a different order I would have got different quotes, since each one asked my previous best price and then beat it.  The key thing is just to call plenty of people - in your case, some of them may not quote you due to your age, but as long as you can get 3-4 quotes then you should be ok.

You could also try saying \'I\'ve not had any renewal quotes yet, but my premium last year was £873\' to start the ball rolling at that level (i.e. don\'t mention the £1900 as that\'s not a realistic price esp if you\'ve only found that online).

allej001

  • Guest
insurance going up for everyone or just me?
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 07:27:48 PM »
Quote from: unwindcompletely;845395
When i first insured my rx7, at 21, 3 years NCD i got a quote from flux direct (Adrian Flux) at £873 as a second car, which i snapped up :D 3k miles per year, social only, garaged etc ...

A year later now 22, with 4 years NCD, everything the same as the above, seems i can\'t get a quote for less than £1900, is everyone finding insurance is going up very fast, or is it just me?

i know im going to get the old "well your a young driver get used it" etc, im not complaining about the price, just asking if everyone is getting a ridiculous rise in there quotes?


I\'m also 22, last year my insurance for the FD as my main car with 10k miles was £1700, that was the cheapest i could find anywhere and i thought it was resonable consdering i had no No Claims Discount. This year its dropped to £620! Still with no NCB bonus due to having to claim on the car when someone rear ended me!

I never understand insurance, the best advice i have is just to get as many quotes as you can.

Offline samoht

  • MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 266
  • Karma: +10/-0
    • View Profile
insurance going up for everyone or just me?
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 07:57:38 PM »
Quote from: allej001;846400
I\'m also 22, last year my insurance for the FD as my main car with 10k miles was £1700, that was the cheapest i could find anywhere and i thought it was resonable consdering i had no No Claims Discount. This year its dropped to £620! Still with no NCB bonus due to having to claim on the car when someone rear ended me!

I never understand insurance, the best advice i have is just to get as many quotes as you can.

I think they\'re afraid of people\'s first year in an FD if they\'re not used to driving a powerful rwd car.  I needed to explain that my previous S13 was running similar power to my FD, in order to get decent quotes from some insurers.  (In reality the FD is almost incomparably better, but the raw numbers and similarity in layout seemed to reassure some insurers)

Offline Kodiak

  • MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 337
  • Karma: +10/-0
    • View Profile
insurance going up for everyone or just me?
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 01:30:36 PM »
I got the Rex and the runaround insured for 75% of what the Rex alone cost me last year...
 
... now it just has to pass it\'s MOT again.
 
Thank you Elephant. :D
FC3S T2 in Red(-ish)
 
2yr old daughter sits in car, says "It\'s too loud daddy"  :flamed

Offline jetpilot

  • Major Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3,818
  • Karma: +19/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://
insurance going up for everyone or just me?
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 04:43:31 PM »
I must admit the last couple of years i have been asked what experience i have with said car and thats at 42 with like max no claims and no points or convictions. My insurance has staid roughly the same for the last 5 years.

abzjason

  • Guest
insurance going up for everyone or just me?
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 12:43:54 PM »
My Insurance is going down as my age goes up but it still makes no sense.
 
2 years ago i had a Impreza at rounghly £700 for the year. Following year i couldn\'t get it below £1000. I had more no claims, no points hadn\'t changed address etc.
 
I know know that a lot of the pricing is to due with all teh false claims for whiplash and the the \'no win no fee\' that is going around but it\'s still annoying.

Offline jetpilot

  • Major Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3,818
  • Karma: +19/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://
insurance going up for everyone or just me?
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 12:51:37 PM »
Mmmm, no win no fee, the scourge of the country, should be banned. I hear there are actually teams of people deliberately having "accidents" to make claims.

Offline Kodiak

  • MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 337
  • Karma: +10/-0
    • View Profile
insurance going up for everyone or just me?
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 03:09:15 PM »
Quote from: jetpilot;853637
Mmmm, no win no fee, the scourge of the country, should be banned. I hear there are actually teams of people deliberately having "accidents" to make claims.

My O/H works for an insurance breaker... Obviously she can\'t disclose any information outside of work ;)
 
But if she could she would tell you all kinds of stories about how they set up a ghost car to cause an accident and how 3 people who were never in the car which got "bumped" managed to recieve whiplash from the incident and how people who pull out into oncoming traffic have the defense of "Well they could see I was pulling out! They should have slowed down".
 
Some of the things she has definitely never told me are quite funny whilst simultaneously blood boiling :Hammer :Grrr
FC3S T2 in Red(-ish)
 
2yr old daughter sits in car, says "It\'s too loud daddy"  :flamed