Author Topic: Need new toy!  (Read 954 times)

Offline B.Martin

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
  • 10th Anniversary Edition FC3S Turbo
    • View Profile
Need new toy!
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 04:24:10 PM »
Monaro, modern muscle and looks great! Screw considering anything else they are awesome.

Offline jetpilot

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
Need new toy!
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 09:05:38 AM »
I couldnt or wouldnt want to drive either of those to be honest.

As is said above, Evo\'s are quickly approaching the "chav" image if not there already and as nice as the Monaro might be, i dont think i would ever want to own one.

For a nice fun car i am afraid to say i would probably go German. John F\'s suggestion has merit, decent M3, sl55 amg or to throw the cat amongst the pidgeons, jag xjr :)

Offline Will66

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Need new toy!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 10:54:04 AM »
Jag would be classy, all the V8 saloon type things would be fun and there\'s a lot of metal for the money.
RX8 High Power, Cusco Coilovers, Dotz wheels and flames. Shoe Size 12

Apparently putting details of your car spec in your signature means the nice folks on exile-rotorsport think you\'re a fool.  I can think of no higher compliment!

"Eat it with a chopstick!"

Offline Brett

• Administrator
  • MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fc3s.co.uk/
Need new toy!
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 11:20:57 AM »
Audi S8?  
XKR?  
Celica GT4?
Saxo VTS with a bodykit?
Octavia VRS?
Forester STi?
Reliant Robin with a jet pack?

I do like spending other peoples money for them :D
At the end of the day, it\'s meant to be fun - not a political movement! :burnout
[xbox.card]BrettMRC[/xbox.card]

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Need new toy!
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 11:31:34 AM »
Monaro vxr8, stop confusing the man you all sound like women trying to decide on which clothes to buy when you know he will pick the first one he thought of. Lol

Offline Bobbit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Need new toy!
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 11:37:56 AM »
ahem *RS6* ahem
:Laugh LOL

Offline nuki

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Need new toy!
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 12:59:38 PM »
Ive had an Rx7,Evo and RS6 etc etc.

Rs6 ran average 11MPG Vpower only which means £20 every time you start up and drive off, Budget discs for the 8Pot brembos will cost you £250+vat each , £1000 to do the timing belt every 35,000miles,£800 if one of the inter coolers breaks which there prone for.. Which if unnoticed leads to fast turbo failure. £100 for 8Ltrs of engine oil, £3000 if the gearbox starts slipping, £2000 to replace a turbo if one of them goes wrong. If one of the DRC Suspension struts leaks and you get dash lights its cheaper to buy a full set of coil overs than replace the one Suspension leg. Basically Any job on an RS6 the engine has to come out. By far the most expensive car to maintain I\'ve ever owned. 9/10 times Every 3000 mile main dealer service recipes were £1500+ vat and its compulsory because no one would buy an RS6 without Main Dealer history..£100+ for spark plugs with a huge amount of labor to fit them as half the engine top needs taking off.. I think Audi Charge 15 hours labor just to change the pollen filter because everything is just so crammed in every job is a huge one. You get the jist..

Evo wasn\'t any worse than the RX7 on fuel. It was fun in the rain. It got a little boring with the constant 4WD after months and months of driving but not when you\'re overtaking cars that just cant put power down..like a RWD RX7s in wet weather. ABS sensors were £150+vat each which are all required to work together to make the Rear Diff work..Many evos develop AYC rear diff pump Issues which can be costly £800 or so... easily tunable from remapping the Stock ECU for Anti lag with Pops Flames and Bangs on overrun can easily be mapped in along with Full boost Launch control which sounds awesome and dual switchable maps, I decided to push the boat out way too far on my stock engine internals and snapped a Rod through the block- A replacement used engine block cost me £1800 and that was cheap through a favor.(If the engine lets go in an EVO it will cost you more than rebuilding your Rotary) Other than that evos are still fast Saloons that are practical and nothing potentially to go wrong just like any other saloon to cost you thousands..There a simple DOHC 16v 2.0 Turbo engine that are easily serviced and will maintain a good fuel cost if you drive them right.. I would certainly own another.

Monaro..Personally I can see this been a similar thing to the RS6. Big and Heavy so you look in you\'re mirror and cant understand why you\'re not leaving an Evo for dust.. untill you think about Power to Weight ratios then start reading up why you bought such a heavy car.. Big V8, Huge Breaks, Huge service Costs. And no doubt something fancy to go seriously wrong

Hope this helps :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:10:17 PM by nuki »

Offline Brett

• Administrator
  • MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fc3s.co.uk/
Need new toy!
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 01:04:02 PM »
Is there anything fancy on a Monaro?
At the end of the day, it\'s meant to be fun - not a political movement! :burnout
[xbox.card]BrettMRC[/xbox.card]

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Need new toy!
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 01:11:11 PM »
Quote from: Brett;844735
Is there anything fancy on a Monaro?

It got a v8

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Need new toy!
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 01:15:46 PM »
Throw another spanner in the works for you.... Why not get a 1.8 lx ford focus, cheap reliable, 38mpg at 85mph. Seats 5, you won\'t care if you crash it or break it. Runs on normal petrol no need for vpower etc etc.

Just get the monaro

Offline nuki

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Need new toy!
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 01:27:34 PM »
Quote from: Grant Monkhouse;844736
It got a v8

Theres a thread on piston heads about a monaro buyers guide.. First couple of posts both state "Drivetrain clunks and rattles are also a problem so be aware. every one Ive owned has needed a gearbox and diff rebuild.
Had problems with driveshafts, diffs and gearbox"

you\'ll all have your own views. And every car can have its issues.. All depends what you want the car for.. The only main  reasons people would buy a monaro is because of the 400HP V8 and no traction control.. If it had a 2.0 turbo engine would you still buy the Monaro? no. Although grant you\'re probably already bias on the matter because you cant stop dreaming over the thought of the ls1 or ls2 under your rotary hood if you haven\'t already done it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:33:54 PM by nuki »

Offline brodierx7

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Need new toy!
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 07:22:21 PM »
Cheers grant but think I might pass on your idea Of the focus. I was told the monaro was a simple v8 and fairly reliable?

Offline brodierx7

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Need new toy!
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 07:28:05 PM »
Think I will pass on your idea of the focus grant, I thought the monaro was ment to be fairly reliable? Just a v8 fairly simple. As the the vxr8 I would have one but to find a nice one it\'s a lot more money!

Offline Hobbawobba

• Worcester
    • View Profile
Need new toy!
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 07:51:06 PM »
Id go for the monaro. Dont see many over here aye

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Need new toy!
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 07:52:08 PM »
Quote from: nuki;844741
Theres a thread on piston heads about a monaro buyers guide.. First couple of posts both state "Drivetrain clunks and rattles are also a problem so be aware. every one Ive owned has needed a gearbox and diff rebuild.
Had problems with driveshafts, diffs and gearbox"

you\'ll all have your own views. And every car can have its issues.. All depends what you want the car for.. The only main  reasons people would buy a monaro is because of the 400HP V8 and no traction control.. If it had a 2.0 turbo engine would you still buy the Monaro? no. Although grant you\'re probably already bias on the matter because you cant stop dreaming over the thought of the ls1 or ls2 under your rotary hood if you haven\'t already done it.

My dad has a mustang 5.1 litre, my bro has a trans am 6.5 litre. No need for a v8 FD although they are cool