Author Topic: RX8 with RX7 Race car build  (Read 7872 times)

Offline Martin Price

• Contributor
    • View Profile
RX8 with RX7 Race car build
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »
Hi, sorry there\'s no explanation with any of the pictures, i had all on trying to post the pictures. I\'ll put a bit of a right up tomorrow night and explain how the cars progressing.
Najiru, yes I\'ve still got the 96 car, its sat in our unit waiting for me to write an add out for it.
Cheers Martin

Online re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2013, 05:03:59 AM »
Looking good :) Good job
Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/japi_laukkanen/library/Japi?sort=3&page=1

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2013, 05:57:49 PM »
Excellent engineering exercise from your guys Martin, please keep the pictures and info coming as many, not only here but also around the world, will be very interested in this high end build :Thumbsup!

p.s. Are you still going to compete in the Nippon Challenge next year with the Subaru again as you had some good races against the Skyline this year, mind you I\'m still surprised how the Skyline came from being a mid-field car last year to a regular winner this year.
All the best Clive

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2013, 06:18:44 PM »
Pictures tell a thousand words:) apart from that last one. I have no idea why your lifting it that way. It\'s much more exciting lifting it with jacks and trolleys and roll around on your back on the cold concrete floor

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2013, 09:11:28 PM »
I presumed it was off to be dipped, proper way to do things:driving  ,

This is all so much different to how my car has been built in a lock up, the council would have objected to the roof coming off to lift the shell out  :rollin
All the best Clive

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2013, 09:23:03 PM »
I presumed dipping but the screens still in it

Offline rx7boy

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dm-motorsport.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2013, 09:24:36 PM »
Great progress Martin.
DM-Motorsport.co.uk
Billet Pulleys, Wheel Spacers, Engine Mounts, Engine Braces, Sump Braces, Filler Caps, Coil relocation Custom CNC available.
Dealers for : Injector Dynamics, Thermal Velocity Heat Protection, Xcessive Engineering, Turbosmart.

Offline Martin Price

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2013, 09:48:34 PM »
Thanks for the comments chaps,
Hi Clive, it would be nice if we had all our lads working on the car as it would have been finished a long time ago but unfortunately it’s just Allan (the ginger youth sat in the car checking gear lever position) and myself when we have a few minutes spare between jobs.
Building race cars isn’t our business we are sub-contact machinists, it’s just mine and Allan’s hobbies although it is nice to have the whole workshop (including overhead crane) at our disposal. The car hasn’t progressed at all over the summer as I’ve been racing the Scoob but seeing it on its wheels has gave us a massive boost.
I’d like to think I will do some Nippon rounds next year as they’re a great bunch of blokes and the French trophy’s really taking off for Steve Vince which my car roots are in but I’m looking at racing the RX8 in Classic thunder if it’s as quick as I think it should be.
I was asking Jim (Skyline driver) where his recent pace come from at Oulton. At Donington last year from memory he was lapping about 5 seconds a lap slower than me, since then my Scoobs lost 100kgs and were about on the same pace now! I think his car has lost a lot of weight, gained some aero but the biggest improvement is his driving. It’s sometimes frustrating watching him drive away from me on the straights but you can’t take anything away from him, he builds and spanners his own  car so fair play to him.
I must admit we only found your build thread on the RX8 forum last week and I’ve only just found it on here. Carl told me last year that a customer of his was building a FD powered RX8 but that was all I knew until I found the threads. Your car looks great, it would be interesting to compare notes like how you went on with exhaust/turbo clearance with your steering column? Or are you concerned about how low your exhaust is going to run as its goes past the diff/rear frame? We were also really interested to see you’ve retained the drive by wire throttle and are using the original ECU, it really got us thinking about which way we should go with management on  my car but we’d already put a lot of work into the cable throttle peddle and we’d bought the 90mm Jenvey.
Good luck testing at brands, I’ll look out for your updates!
Cheers Martin

Online boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2013, 10:32:49 AM »
Looks a very nice build and i was spectating at Combe this year and the Impreza was very impressive to watch. In fact the Nippon Gt series is definetely 1 of the most exciting to watch. Looking forward to 2014.
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline BlitzBoy

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »
Looking Epic from the new pictures
"Piston Killa" 3rd Gen\'94 \'Oldone Racing Full Bridge Ported REW 13b engine with SCR seals\'. HKS T51 KAI turbo BBM mapped Motec ECU

JDS/HKS Street Class Championship Runner up 2011
Rotorstock winner 08,09
http://pistonkilla.blogspot.com/
old spec HB T51 470 @ wheels @ 1.2 BAR, 555 @ fly 10.46 @ 130 @ 1.25 Bar
new spec FB T51 482 @ wheels @ 1.15 BAR, 570 @ fly

New Project
"el fénix" RX2 by Mark & Mark

Offline Martin Price

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2014, 08:22:15 PM »
We’ve had a bit more progress with the RX8. It’s been a bit frustrating lately because at this point in a build it’s easy to get lots of jobs 95% done leaving the 5% which is the ball ache part which we’re fighting to avoid at the moment.
 The fuel systems nearly done and we’re just waiting for some clips to fasten the pipes to the tunnel and some more bulkhead fittings from Torques to finish the job.  The in tank pumps turned out nice in the end after we decided to do away with the whole of the original pump mount and make our own. The pumps now sits right on the bottom of the tank meaning they will drain every last bit out.
The mounts are just a nylon top hat sleeve which I split down the middle.

Offline Martin Price

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2014, 08:55:33 PM »

Offline Martin Price

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2014, 08:56:25 PM »

Offline Martin Price

• Contributor