Author Topic: Clive's 400 BHP Super GT RX-8 Race Car  (Read 145990 times)

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
Re: Clive's 400 BHP Super GT RX-8 Race Car
« Reply #2520 on: May 08, 2019, 08:07:07 AM »
Here you go Race 1 The WIN. I couldn't sync the footage at first then I had a closer look. Was that you Mr Boosted playing with the front camera?  :nono:

;)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NKjlSpUCzg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NKjlSpUCzg</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NKjlSpUCzg
Yep hands up...i pressed record..but already recording...oops.
Great vid.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
« Reply #2521 on: May 08, 2019, 08:39:15 AM »
Well done!
I've really enjoyed watching a few of your videos. Editing is excellent too.

One thing I'm struggling with though is, how do they make up so much ground on you under braking and through the twisty bits?

There are certain bits where the black Clio looks 20 or 30 meters behind you and then a corner and he's checking the speed on your speedo.

The reason why I'm struggling is that the RX has always been renowned for the braking and handling.
I didn't realise the Clio could catch you so much.

It makes for great entertainment until you got the straight and blow them away... Until the next corner...
How is this possible?

First up, Huge thanks for the wonderful split video Philip has once again put together.

To answer the above question / Power to Weight Ratio . is the answer

The cars behind not only have decent power with the Civic at 350BHP + but also weigh Soooooooooo much less,
My car probably weighs 1250 Kilo and the Clio would be less than 500 maybe 450 !

This means they have has less weight to accelerate, plus so much less weight to stop.

Bearing in mind you can change  any engine into our cars from the Marque you run, i.e. with the Mazda I can fit any engine Mazda make into the chassis, this means I have no idea what the Renault's are running or the power they produce, but I do know both the black and the red cars are running the same much more powerful engines for this season.

If you listen, again and again you will hear my cars tyres "chirping" under braking so, trust me I am on the absolute limit Everywhere  ;)       
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 08:42:06 AM by clive »
All the best Clive

Offline Prototype

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: May 08, 2019, 08:45:17 AM »
This is the footage from the car behind Ash Bruneau

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQQGnwi2520" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQQGnwi2520</a>

https://youtu.be/xQQGnwi2520?t=1m41s

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: May 08, 2019, 09:21:50 AM »
Good vid too best bit is the Silver Fox after the race  :13:

Shows the difference in handling dynamics.

Interesting to see race 2...from both Vids.....
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline therealbrad_wil

• Just joined!
    • Sidcup, Kent
    • View Profile
    • Rotary club
« Reply #2524 on: May 08, 2019, 09:35:11 AM »
Well done!

One thing I'm struggling with though is, how do they make up so much ground on you under braking and through the twisty bits?

There are certain bits where the black Clio looks 20 or 30 meters behind you and then a corner and he's checking the speed on your speedo.

The reason why I'm struggling is that the RX has always been renowned for the braking and handling.

It makes for great entertainment until you got the straight and blow them away... Until the next corner...
How is this possible?

First up, Huge thanks for the wonderful split video Philip has once again put together.

The cars behind not only have decent power with the Civic at 350BHP + but also weigh Soooooooooo much less,
My car probably weighs 1250 Kilo and the Clio would be less than 500 maybe 450 !

This means they have has less weight to accelerate, plus so much less weight to stop.

Bearing in mind you can change  any engine into our cars from the Marque you run, i.e. with the Mazda I can fit any engine Mazda make into the chassis, this means I have no idea what the Renault's are running or the power they produce, but I do know both the black and the red cars are running the same much more powerful engines for this season.

If you listen, again and again you will hear my cars tyres "chirping" under braking so, trust me I am on the absolute limit Everywhere  ;)     
What! Is that all they weigh! I'm shocked.that explains it then. So you're double the weight. Wow.
Good thing you got the power down the straights. Makes for an interesting race from circuit to circuit.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline Jamie R

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Getting older, fatter, wiser!
    • Worcestershire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: May 08, 2019, 02:06:30 PM »
Well done!

How is this possible?

Advantage all round for the Clio, the corner speed is quicker certainly through bobbies, less weight transfer in the bends,  can run softer springs to absorb the undulations keeping all 4 wheels planted.

I'm not surprised at the Clio being so light, watching the vid his bonnet is flapping and the top corner of the door looks like it wants to bend back on itself, surely some composite.

The 8 is a heavy car, I remember stripping mine apart, the rear doors are made of 3 planets, and you've shaved a lot off them I noticed. And that beam underneath linking the gearbox to the diff, not sure if you're running yours still Clive but that's hefty.

I don't know why rx8 didn't run an Ali diff, whether it's to do with the LSD I'm not sure.

We could wonder the what ifs forever, a win is a win, all fair game, same again at snetterton,  :13:
Its just Rotors and GRP

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: May 08, 2019, 03:08:45 PM »
Yeah, Clios and Hondas are very light... And that gives them massive advantage against fat 8 in corners and braking...

But 350bhp is a LOT! I mean "happy numbers at dyno" alot. Makes me want to question about that...

Anyhoo, those few cars seems to be really fast. And saw that Clive bushed his car to limits

Lähetetty minun G8141 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/japi_laukkanen/library/Japi?sort=3&page=1

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: May 08, 2019, 03:13:38 PM »
Clive, were your car strugling to get power down in acceleration from corners? Rear seemed abit wobly...

Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

Offline Prototype

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: May 08, 2019, 09:15:44 PM »
While you are all waiting to see Race 2 here is a sample. Two into one won't go!!!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc3d-hQQmQY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc3d-hQQmQY</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc3d-hQQmQY

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: May 08, 2019, 09:26:54 PM »
Do or die that...Thankfully Clive has the experience to see it and get off the throttle.
Else 2 cars in the barriers...

EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: May 08, 2019, 09:33:15 PM »
Vulnerable there as lighter cars can straight line from esses where as larger cars arch the corner but both need the exit rumble strip...
I used to straight line in my colt gti.
Red mist...

EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: May 08, 2019, 09:38:07 PM »
Clive, were your car strugling to get power down in acceleration from corners? Rear seemed abit wobly...

Your right for the second race as I had lost downforce and grip by making the rear wing flat.

Really enjoyed the video from Ash's car as I have never been able to see the car for myself going around any track properly.

As I told Philip, seeing the car it looks like its handling very very well and yet from the drivers seat it feels like junk!   

As for the video clip, had I not seen the Civic coming, we would have both come together in a big way, as you can see I literally drove off the track to get out of his way. You can see how he comes right out to the white line that there was no way he would not have run into me had I not taken avoiding action.     
All the best Clive

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: May 08, 2019, 10:02:55 PM »
I have looked those first vids few times now...

I saw from your own in-car vid, that you didnt have crip that much that you should have. And rear view confirmed that...

We have found out in rallycross, that studying in-car footage, and especially footage from other cars, there can be lots to learn how your car behaves. When driving, you cant feel all those little things, but footage can show something that you havent notice and might give you idea for different line for curve for example. Studying different vids really helps.

At first I noticed that you really are pushing that car. Havent heard your tyres complaining so hard before. So thats awesome, you know what your car can do, and you now trust her to do it!

Then I noticed something else. I reckon that you follow some amount rearmirrors to see what car behind does? Some curves, missed apex, braking too late, wrong line braking. Correct? I know you had to see what that fast car behind you is doing, but following him you wont be able to go fast as you can. Ofcourse, defending your line and being first at corner is different thing, but my opinion is that you did that few times without you shouldnt had to do it, and he was able to get closer to you...

Anyhoo, Im not trying to tell you how to race, thats just my few cents...

Allthose being said, even without race win, that was best race I have seen from you. Confidense for Christine is one of those reasons. And Christine can do it, as she now shows it, that is proven! And cause that Civic is scary fast...

Now, time to check race 2 vids few times

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:05:58 PM by re japi »

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: May 08, 2019, 10:15:49 PM »
Good observations.
As for grip, don't forget we are only allowed trackday tires not proper grippy slicks so grip at the limit is never going to be very good.

( I  raced on slicks for years and there's no comparison as the difference is like day and night)

Yes few apex's missed but then I never said I was perfect  :13:
All the best Clive

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: May 09, 2019, 05:50:15 AM »
Oh, I thought you can use slicks... In that case, grip is actually quite good, cause she has some weight and power...  :great:

Looking at Civics in-car vid, compared to your lines, its actually quite obvious that with lighter car, one can chase perfect line for curves. For example those chikanes(damn, I dont know how to type it, those fast s turns anyway ;D). With light car, you dont have to brake so hard, you can carry much speed thru them and have much faster exit...

I dont know how much Christine weights now, but looking those vids, I reckon she behaves quite well. Being abit chubby and has massive grunt, she has to be and hand full. But seems that she isnt. And thats quite amazing, you have done nice setup...

Sorry Sir, didnt want to sound rude.  ;D Those were just stupid observations. Fact is that you and car is really showing potential now. And Im really really happy about that, after these few unlucky years. Looking forward whats next. And really hoping to see live her run again someday :sign0098: