Author Topic: Clive's 400 BHP Super GT RX-8 Race Car  (Read 51829 times)

Online clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
Clive's 400 BHP Super GT RX-8 Race Car
« on: April 29, 2012, 05:00:49 PM »
Quite a few know by now what I will be building for next season\'s Nippon Challenge Super GT class so I took delivery of an RX-8 rolling shell that’s gone straight into the paint shop I thought we would get a build thread up n running.

Many know I raced various "tin tops" for many years and gained a few Championships and race wins and also that I have used our RX-8 on track for a while, indeed it will be back out again at Castle Coombe (first picture below) in a couple of weeks time but going to the new Snetterton race track refired the passion to race again not that it ever really went away or that I ever slowed down, so here we are, were going racing again !.

Some know that a run in a 600bhp NASCAR Stock Car a year ago where by the 21 one of us were whittled down across three sessions and happily it showed me that by being fastest on the day and I at least have some speed left in me, because if I\'m going to race again I need to know I won\'t be just a tail end Charlie running at the back, especially when you think this car will have Racing Beat, Surf City Garage and Ballistic Race Car Battery’s associated plus my own Mazdarotaryparts company on top of that Hayward Rotary will supply the power needed to get the car at least competitive.

As far as we know there is not one RX-8 currently racing here in the UK on circuits so by racing one I hope to help make not only the RX-8 but also the Rotary engine be taken more seriously than it currently is plus this project my inspire more to get out there and race an RX-8.

Using suspension and brake knowledge gained from the track day sessions I am hoping to put together a competitive RX-8 “kit car” Racer working only from a lock up, which means that rather than the fully equipped workshops I used to run my race cars from this new RX-8 will need to be very much a drill and bolt together “kit car” Racer, i.e. bolt in cage etc, etc.   

The reason for picking the Nippon Challenge Super GT class is because the RX-8 complies with very few series and to run in one of the lower Nippon Challenge classes the RX-8 either has too much power or not enough so it’s going to be the top class we will run the car in, hopefully at the sharp end of the field.

The series was also picked because it is a series that uses track day tyres and not slicks because buy using slicks means a whole lot more money going into the suspension and brakes as the cornering speed targets go way up with the addition of slick tyres, bottom line is that this will NOT be some big buck racer as we do not have lots of funds to build this car but hopefully I can show that the RX-8 will be portrayed as a competitive car that’s been easily screwed together without spending lots of money.

The car will be in my old race car yellow and blue colours and may look something like the images below but until it becomes yellow I won’t decide the final paint scheme.

Hoping to have the car out around October for running in and testing and as the weeks go on I will try and update the thread for anyone who is interested both here and from the RX8OC
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 07:22:18 PM by Casey »
All the best Clive

Offline steve garbutt

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Clives RX-8 400 BHP Race Series project 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 06:28:26 PM »
Cracking stuff Clive.
Will be nice to see a serious race spec rx8 competing :Thumbsup!
Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy.
Steve@mazdarotaryclub.com

Offline Prof

• Frustrated Inventor
  • MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Rotorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 06:50:31 PM »
I knew there would have to be some yellow on the car somewhere ;)

Nice project Clive - are you allowed to say much about the powerplant ?  Will it be Renesis based ?
"Plus this engine is probably one of the most volumetric engines going! It passes more air than a herd of cows eating vindaloo\'s" - courtesy of AtomicRex

Offline Clarky

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • East Sussex
    • View Profile
    • Nuts Bolts & Things
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 07:25:31 PM »
Great stuff Clive, the passion never leaves does it, graphics looks real good too!
Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself...
But i can always do with some help now due to, my advancing years!

Offline TiddlesRX7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 08:02:53 PM »
Ooooooh tasty! I\'ll keep an eye on this thread then for regular updates.

Ade
I don\'t need to upgrade my stock turbo to beat your ass!

Get your finger out, get it on the road and start driving it then!!! (B.Martin 25/2/12)

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 08:26:46 PM »
If you are going yellow/blue may I suggest rx8 stormy blue? It is an amazing colour. Have it on my rx4.

Will you be using race fuel?

Online clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 09:01:17 PM »
Quote from: Prof;821484
I knew there would have to be some yellow on the car somewhere ;)

Nice project Clive - are you allowed to say much about the powerplant ?  Will it be Renesis based ?

Power plant will be something of a hybrid that as far as I know has not been done to an RX-8

I can tell you that it will run a GT40 though :burnout
All the best Clive

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 09:13:08 PM »
Clive giving carl full reign over the engine and a gt40 sized turbo will be 400rwhp, you know what Carl\'s like :D and also I had a look at the class your going for seems like they will have more than 400hp. The gt500 class is anything up too 500fwhp and around 1300kg including driver and fuel.

Are you going for a gt4094R? Carl\'s favourite flavour of turbo ATM.

Online clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 09:13:42 PM »
Quote from: Grant Monkhouse;821510
If you are going yellow/blue may I suggest rx8 stormy blue? It is an amazing colour. Have it on my rx4.

Will you be using race fuel?

I have already delivered the paint / RX-8 Lightning Yellow, same as the RX-4  and --------wait for it---------- Vauxhall Corsa "Aruba Blue":D

No additives allow but we should be able to run a race fuel mix
All the best Clive

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 09:18:49 PM »
That blue is nice, but let\'s just refer to it as Clive\'s blue;) not vauxhall:( stormy blue is a pearl mettalic so would be hard to touch up after a few scrapes

Online clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 09:29:07 PM »
Quote from: Grant Monkhouse;821524
Are you going for a gt4094R? Carl\'s favourite flavour of turbo ATM.

Rules for this series are a minefield, I even spoke to the guy at Brands who wrote them and he struggled

They raised the rules to 500bhp to accomadate a heavy 500 bhp GTO and set no lower weight limit for Super GT so we should be fine.

Yes its "that" turbo and Carl knows very specifically what I need from the engine to race it how I want to,  the engine will be built with capability of 550 bhp then we will run it at a "conservative" 400

Already talking to Turblown about the manifold
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:39:21 PM by clive »
All the best Clive

Online clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Quote from: Grant Monkhouse;821527
That blue is nice, but let\'s just refer to it as Clive\'s blue;) not vauxhall:( stormy blue is a pearl mettalic so would be hard to touch up after a few scrapes

Bah, no sense of humor :rollin

Your right though , solid colours only, I have already had spray cans made up at the same time :chat, I have never classed myself  as a dirty driver, but I\'ve never been adverse to leaning on a another car if the need arises ;)
All the best Clive

Online clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 09:38:11 PM »
Quote from: Clarky;821495
Great stuff Clive, the passion never leaves does it, graphics looks real good too!

Thanks John, might not end up like that though as we had one go at lining it out on the car and couldn\'t get it to work so a "clive" blue stripe may be in order.
All the best Clive

Offline Brett

• Administrator
  • MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fc3s.co.uk/
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 09:44:01 PM »
Sounds like a great plan Clive :)

What sort of cars are people running in the series then? (Yes I could google it, but my brain hurts today! :p)

Can;t wait to see it and hear it in the flesh :D
At the end of the day, it\'s meant to be fun - not a political movement! :burnout
[xbox.card]BrettMRC[/xbox.card]

Online clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 09:57:30 PM »
A revamped ex drift car Nissan 200 is currently leading the series
All the best Clive