Author Topic: HELP!! FD Gearbox/Clutch issues???  (Read 1355 times)

Offline jord13b

• Contributor
    • View Profile
HELP!! FD Gearbox/Clutch issues???
« on: November 19, 2011, 04:12:28 PM »
Hey guys,

so heres the story..... not driven the FD for about 3 weeks and with it being a nice day etc.... not much fuel, and was on my way to pick up my girlfriend and head too town.... not having much fuel, i took it steady off boost for the 5 mile journey.... got onto her road and my clutch pedal felt wierd and was hearing this horrible noise coming from the transmission....

couldnt get it to go into gear, any gear while driving and pulled over...

wont go in any gear while engines running and appears clutch is in contact with the fly permanently now! will go into gear when engines off, but not when on...

check clutch fluid and all fine, no leaks etc....

any ideas what my problem is??

had to abandon it overnight so i can get bumper off tomorrow and get it relayed home! :( first time its let me down yet.... :(

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 04:18:24 PM »
Have you checked clutch fluid level? Any leaks from your master cylinder and slave cylinder?

Offline jord13b

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 04:42:24 PM »
no leaks from master, havent checked slave, but fluid is checked everyweek and same level again today....

watch some videos on youtube and may have found a diagnosis....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPCi4RpGQCU

Maybe that ring which sits inside pressure plate have bent or come off, hence making the clutch useless and thus making the clutch constantly engaged???

Offline clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 04:54:49 PM »
This sounds like the clutch release arm has become detached from the pressure plate/release bearing.

Ultimatly the gear box may have to be removed anyway, but in the past I have managed to get a bar up behind clutch release arm throgh the bellhousing inspection hole and by leavering the arm forward toward the engine make it clip back into position.

This should work providing the clutch slave cylinder rod is still in position and located in the end of the arm.

hope this helps
All the best Clive

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
If the clutch is stuck to the flywheel you wouldn\'t be able to start the car as it would be stuck in gear?

Maybe worth dropping the gear box out and having a look. I have had gearboxes out a number of times on my drive, quite easy but get it up on a 4 poster if you can.

Offline jord13b

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 02:31:52 PM »
had a look this morning where i left it at our lasses through inspection hole and couldnt see a great deal so its going to be a box off scenario! :(

got it transported home and sitting safe once again in the garage! first time itd stopped outside in its life over night! lol

so.... any advice on doing gearbox removal would be appreciated!

Offline cyman

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 06:36:35 PM »
i had this about 2 months ago the clutch release arm had cracked where there is a securing pin going through it. sounded really graunchy and luckily for me would just about engage so i managed to get home. got a 2nd hand release arm for about a tenner form rx motors fitted it and everything was sorted.

Offline jord13b

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 10:10:47 PM »
well when i get onto further inspection and decide what the crack is, im going to film it for other peoples benefit, cause i cant find diddly squat on the web!! :(