Author Topic: Rear calliper play  (Read 238 times)

Offline mpk490p

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://cid-cbfddd9d1485abdb.spaces.live.com/photos/
Rear calliper play
« on: September 10, 2011, 09:51:40 AM »
Does anyone have a rear calliper off the car?
just want to check the play in the handbrake mechanism
i have a adaptor to fit FC rears to my FB but the handbrake is shocking, had a look the other day and there is a good 8-10mm vertical play in the handbrake lever shaft, when it is seated it feel nice and solid but when it drops there is loads of slack so i presume this is the issue, question is can i rebuild the calliper? (Believe there are bearings in there but i didn\'t want to risk pulling the shaft out on the car with fluid in the brakes) or do i need some new ones!

Offline Prof

• Frustrated Inventor
  • MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Rotorhead
    • View Profile
Rear calliper play
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 10:13:09 AM »
Trying to understand what you mean Mark ?

The handbrake operates through a cable that goes to a cable joiner - from there to each of the calipers.  The handbrake cable pulls on the lever to operate the brake piston - you can adjust slack using the adjusting nuts on the bracket that hold te cable.
"Plus this engine is probably one of the most volumetric engines going! It passes more air than a herd of cows eating vindaloo\'s" - courtesy of AtomicRex

Offline mpk490p

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://cid-cbfddd9d1485abdb.spaces.live.com/photos/
Rear calliper play
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 11:02:46 AM »
Yes this set up has a different adaptor (bracket) where the cable connects to the calliper so it will look different to stock, the cable adjuster in the car has been adjusted all the way.
when the shaft and bracket (Caliper end in photo) drops there is more slack. the first photo shows where the tension starts when the shaft is further in
the second shows the tension point when the shaft has dropped which is why I\'m having to use all the adjustment just to get any slight bite
i don\'t feel this is normal but both callipers are doing this which makes it seem odd that its a fault?