Author Topic: Hive mind trouble-shooting help  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Skifledanabit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Hive mind trouble-shooting help
« on: June 18, 2018, 06:25:16 PM »
Hi all,

I went to a car show Sunday. to say the organisation was bad is an understatement. I ended up stuck in a queue for about an hour with cars piling up all around to reduce back down into 1 lane again.

Whilst in this queue, I had a bit of smoke coming from the exhaust (oil control rings gone, yes, need to get those sorted, yes I know it's an engine out job), I did also end up turning it off and restarting a few times because of this smoke. I've had no issues restarting before until one time it just refused, it was as though it had flooded. I did the usual quick de-flood procedure (accelerator to the floor etc) and it just wouldn't catch, it kept turning over as though it wanted to but never quite got there.

I ended up letting it settle for a while and tried again after say about half an hour, I'm pretty sure it was only firing on one rotor, wouldn't hold idle, barely any power when i did manage to get it moving. Also a very strong smell of fuel so it was throwing fuel through/out somewhere.

RAC guy came out and tested the coilpacks, good spark on all 4 HT leads.

This leaves me with a few possible issues;

Apex seals gone kaput in a sudden and major way (unlikely, not enough buildup to sudden catastrophe).
Coilpacks are gone and RAC guys tester was naff.
Spark plugs fouled (wouldn't this also show up on the test?).
Injector fault.
Temp sensor fault (no buzzer sounded and my buzzer works annoyingly so).
Anything else you can think of? :sign0085:
1989 Gen 2 EGi http://www.missbanzai.net
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
Re: Hive mind trouble-shooting help
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 06:40:58 PM »
Arrgggggggggg, sounds like the plugs have just oiled up rather than the engine being flooded.

Pull the the plugs, spray some brake/clutch cleaner in the plug holes to try and dilute the oil then wiz the engine over with the plugs out.

If this is what I think it is then don't try and start the car, tow it down the road in 3rd gear,  no throttle and let it slowly fire and eventually pick up.

Hope this helps,   
All the best Clive

Offline RE5

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • English Riviera
    • View Profile
Re: Hive mind trouble-shooting help
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 07:52:45 PM »
Bit late now but it is best to carry a spare set of plugs................I would not suggest trying to start with existing plugs, either give them a good clean (soak in thinners then a clean with suede brush) or a new set of Leading at least.   A couple sets from rock are as chips :sign0085: ;)
Current: RX7s   FB S3 & FC S5 Vert

Previously owned:  2 x NSU Ro 80 - 2 x RX7 FB S2 - Suzuki RE5 -Norton Commander - DKW W2000