Author Topic: What\'s special edition  (Read 995 times)

Offline RyanT

• Contributor
    • View Profile
What\'s special edition
« on: July 06, 2011, 05:25:06 PM »
The rx7 I\'m buying is a 2000 type rb. The person selling has said it is special edition, does anybody know what\'s different about it compared to a standard model ?

Cheers ryan

Offline Jit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
What\'s special edition
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 07:31:17 PM »
It\'s a basic rx7 with small brakes, 16in wheels, single oil cooler as opposed to twin, (I think this is correct) and pretty sure it was the cheapest fd you could buy at the time. There\'s nothing special about it. It also has the lower power output (265ps) compared to 280 on the better equipped models. Pretty sure that the 99 spec spoiler was an option on the type RB.
Basically there\'s nothing to write home about. I\'d rather have an RS with the bigger brakes, wheels and 280ps

Offline Kevint

• Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
What\'s special edition
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 10:51:05 PM »
As well as the the RB there was an RB-S (or RB with S-Package), the S-package included the adjustable 99 spec rear spoiler, front fog lamps and suede seats.  The sticker in the door shut should show whether it is an RB or RB-S.

Kevin
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:56:23 PM by Kevint »

Offline Big Al

• Contributor
    • View Profile
What\'s special edition
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 11:43:38 PM »
Mine is a 99 RB special edition :(

Jit is right, small brakes , small wheels and one oil cooler,  lower power... 99 wing thrown in as a sweetener (not sure about that as the front is different too ? )..... definatly a sub standard machine

But do you know what ?  I love it to bits. :InLove  Unless you really want to get involved with the \'numbers\' game  i.e. mine has a xyz more power than yours etc
then buy it. You will appreciate that you are driving one of the prettiest cars ever made, with superb handling and a head turning car even when stock.

I would agree though, that bigger brakes may have very useful  during some of my more mis-judged moments. ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/I]

bought not built

Offline RyanT

• Contributor
    • View Profile
What\'s special edition
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 12:25:49 AM »
Is 15 bhp more really that noticeable? Surely with a few mods and map it will make the same bhp as a Rs ? Im not overly bothered about power as im going from a little delsol :D so im sure i will be happy with the 265 for a while. I was mainly interested in getting a
Tidy moter that didnt need any thing doing to it while i payed it off. And is the rs breaks a straight swap ?

Offline Jit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
What\'s special edition
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 03:32:18 AM »
I\'d hve an rs any day of the week as IMO it\'s the perfect fast road FD. Big brakes are spot on for light track and road use. Wheels are a lot nicer looking than stock 16s, bilstein shocks are perfect for uk roads and it has the shorter diff ratio. Yes it\'s all interchangeable but by the time you\'ve bought and paid for fitting on brakes, oil cooler, wheels and suspension you\'ll have spent more. Don\'t get me wrong it\'s not what I\'d call substandard... An fd is an fd but for series 8 cars I personally would spend the money on an RS otherwise what are you gaining over buying a 96-98 series 7 FD apart from the facelifted front end and a heavy price tag?

Offline RyanT

• Contributor
    • View Profile
What\'s special edition
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 08:24:02 AM »
Well the reason I went for it was there was no mods at all, high compression, good miles. I would have thought putting a bit of money into the car would easily bring it to the same level as a rs ?

Also if I was happy with the speed of my Delsol :D surely I will still find this a major step up ?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:29:24 AM by RyanT »

Offline Kevint

• Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
What\'s special edition
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 08:47:43 AM »
I\'d suggest you try it as it is before considering mods.  Make sure it has decent tyres and, at least to start with, take it easy on anything other than dry roads - enjoy :D

Offline 24 VRT

• View Profile
What\'s special edition
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 04:39:31 PM »
Mine\'s a RB with the S-pack too.

I think the \'Special Edition\' that keeps being referred to comes off the build sticker in the door jamb, as apparently they all show \'Special Edition\' for the \'99 builds on. Pre \'99\'s you\'d see \'Bathurst\' for example for those editions, but from \'99 it was left as \'Special Edition\'. I think there was a thread on here which had details of the build stickers and photos - you\'ll need to search around for it though :2Confused

Offline Eoiny555

• Contributor
    • View Profile
What\'s special edition
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 08:15:16 PM »
I have a 1994 Type-R & it has special edition on the sticker on drivers door jam aswell, only thing different is it has blisten shocks with Eilbach springs (dont know if these are standard though). It has twin oil coolers but i think all type-r\'s have & the bose acoustic sound system in the boot instead of rear speakers

Offline Gomez

• MRC Overseas Guest
    • View Profile
What\'s special edition
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 09:09:19 AM »
The term "Special Edition" on the VIN decal is a header. If it was special, there would be something under that header.

In all my years of looking, I\'ve never seen a JDM FD with something under that header. Even my RZ has nothing there. I\'ve hunted down VIN decals for ages, never seen the word "Bathurst" on one either.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Gomez

• MRC Overseas Guest
    • View Profile
What\'s special edition
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 09:13:03 AM »
Quote from: Kevint;774247
As well as the the RB there was an RB-S (or RB with S-Package), the S-package included the adjustable 99 spec rear spoiler, front fog lamps and suede seats.  The sticker in the door shut should show whether it is an RB or RB-S.

Kevin

The decal will show "Grade" RB even on an RB-S.

The "Model Spec" code for the RB-S is different, however.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]