Author Topic: Immaculate low mileage 1997 RX7 Type RS-R Ltd Edition  (Read 6719 times)

Offline Jit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Immaculate low mileage 1997 RX7 Type RS-R Ltd Edition
« on: June 01, 2011, 06:11:09 PM »
1997 RX7 Type RS-R Limited Edition

Specification

Model Overview
- Mazda RX7 Type RS-R
- 24000 miles from new (39000km)
- Brilliant Black
- 12 Months MOT
- 6 Months Road Tax

Engine & Transmission
- Factory Mazda Sequential Twin Turbocharged 265bhp 13B-REW
- Recent Compression Test (31/05/11) showing:
Front Rotor: 8.8, 8.2, 8.1 bar @ 250RPM
Rear Rotor: 7.7, 7.6, 7.4 bar @ 250RPM
- RS-R 4.3 final drive Rear Differential

Chassis
- Factory fitted Bilstein Dampers
- Aluminium 4 Piston Calipers with RS-R 330mm x 32mm Brake discs
- RS-R 17in Alloy Wheels with Bridgestone Tyres (8j Front with 235/45/17 and 8.5j Rear with 255/40/17)

Interior
- RS-R 30th Anniversary Gauge Cluster
- Aluminium passenger footrest
- Drivers knee rest
- Momo Race steering wheel

If you\'re after exclusivity that defined one of the most prestigious special editions Japan in the 90\'s had produced, the Type RS-R delivers with refinement tantamount to its elusiveness; only 500 were made, coming of the production line at the end of 1997. Having been an RX7 enthusiast for the past 6 years, I\'ve not come across one in such perfect, original condition before- being a late spec 1997 model, it also has low chassis miles & not even a grain of surface rust.

Available only in Sunburst Yellow and Brilliant Black, the limited edition Type RS-R was built by Mazda to commemorate the 30th Anniversary of the rotary engine. The limited run of 500 cars were the last to roll off the production line with the pre-facelift front end and had a number of features that set it apart from the rest of the RX7 line up. The twin-turbocharged 265bhp 13B powerplant remained unchanged but the suspension was upgraded with Bilstein dampers and the ride height lowered. The Brakes were upgraded from 294mm to 330mm and the disc thickness increased from 22mm to 32mm. In gear acceleration was improved courtesy of a shorter final drive ratio. Finally the interior was treated to some cosmetic enhancements with an aluminium passenger footrest, a knee rest for the driver and a limited edition 30th Anniversary gauge cluster. All of this was in addition to the updates that the RX7 range received in 1996.

I have myself been a rotary enthusiast for over 4 years and also own an immaculate single turbo RX7 which I am rebuilding from the ground up over the coming winter months. I maintain my cars religiously changing the engine oil every 3000 miles and spark plugs every 5000 miles. Most potential buyers when looking for RX7s tend to focus heavily on the engine health. However, there is so much more to these cars which differentiate a good car from the rest including exterior and interior condition, suspension bushes and transmission mounts which are commonly neglected on poor high mileage examples.

Having driven many RX7\'s in various guises, the difference between tired, high mileage early examples and the later lower mileage cars is like night and day. From the solid, planted feel from the suspension to the cosy and squeak free interior, a clean low mileage factory specification RX7 will give many hours of driving pleasure for all occasions. The exterior and interior of this RS-R along with the factory taut feel of the suspension and Drivetrain are testament to the low mileage of this example.

The engine has been compression tested using my own genuine Mazda Rotary Compression tester showing high 7\'s on the rear and low 8\'s on the front rotor at 250rpm which would indicate that the engine has very low wear and has been refreshed at some point in Japan. I will happily perform this again for any potential buyer. The engine starts first time everytime from hot & cold and drives immaculately with no knocks, coolant loss or lubrication issues. Both turbos pull extremely hard in every gear and the sequential system transition is smooth as the day it left the factory. All of the engine electrics are in perfect working order. The engine is completely unmodified and even has a standard exhaust system and standard airbox. Much fuss is often made about the reliability of the Rotary Engine and an internet search will often bring up scaremongering stories about engines failing mysteriously or prematurely or that they require rebuilding every 60k miles. If you\'re in the market for an RX7, you should be aware of how the rotary engine works, its typical life span in certain situations & what kind of maintenance work it needs; Rotaries, when looked after properly have recorded over 100k miles on a standard, unmodified twin turbo setup - contrary to very loosely thrown figure of 60k. It can be much, much less if the car falls into the wrong hands, albeit, much more if the car follows a string of well informed drivers. I will definitely be passing on the correct maintenance procedures & contacts that will help you along your way of RX7 ownership, it needn\'t be a taxing job looking after an RX7; if you fully understand what you\'re doing it will just become a routine check. I will be here if any future owner wants advice to make sure this car receives the correct care.

The Gearbox and Rear Differential are both as smooth and taut as the day it left the factory. The Gearbox does not crunch into any gear nor does it whine or rattle. The Clutch was whilst the Engine was out and found to have next to no wear. There is also no movement of the transmission during acceleration indicating that the transmission mounts are in excellent order.

The RS-R came from equipped with factory tuned Bilstein Dampers and a lower ride height than standard models. The dampers are all in perfect working order with no leaks and look like they are brand new. The rear spherical bushings on RX7s are prone to failure which can upset the handling and cause a knocking sound from the rear. This RS-R has no knocking from the suspension whatsoever.

The exterior of the car is quite simply immaculate likewise the interior. There are no external modifications and the factory black paintwork is free from scratches and dents. The RS-R also features the same lightweight doors and tailgate which adorn the series 8 RX7s from 1999 onwards. The limited edition gunmetal 17in Wheels are shod in matching Bridgestone Potenzas with plenty of tread remaining. The car is completely rust free and the sills are the most perfect I have seen on an RX7. The interior condition is fantastic. Seat bolsters exhibit next to no wear and the steering wheel looks like new. Bar the Momo steering wheel, the interior is standard with no missing trim pieces or fixings including the highly coveted drivers arm rest and door card cubby lid. Consequently the interior is free from rattles and squeaks and is wonderful and warm place to be. The spare wheel and complete tool kit are all in place and look like they have never been used.

The car comes with a full MOT and 6 months road tax. An extended test drive is available to any genuine buyers. Please feel free to contact me on 07595918063 if you have any further questions about the car or to arrange a viewing. If you have any questions or would like to arrange a viewing, please do not hesitate to call me.

One thing I would like to add is that I fully intend to drive this car to the Le Mans 24hr race and as such I will not be letting the car go until 13th June at the earliest.

[ATTACH]52060[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52061[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52063[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52062[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52064[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52065[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52066[/ATTACH]

Offline Jit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:35:47 PM »
Price is £6995

Offline rx-dave

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 09:58:31 PM »
That\'s a pretty one Mr Jit :Thumbs-up
Dave.

Offline Jit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:51:40 PM »
The standard ones always are! Just hope this one goes to a good home!

Offline FDDreamer

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 10:13:18 PM »
Beautiful car, I think that\'s probably the most immaculate FD I\'ve ever seen.

Also, I think there is a typo in your ad - the final reading for the rear rotor\'s compression should read 7.9, not 7.4, I believe.  Unless I\'ve gone partially blind from staring at FDs for too long this evening!

Best of luck with the sale.

Adrian
Adrian

Offline Jit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 10:26:34 PM »
Thanks for that Adrian, you are correct! It is supposed to be 7.7, 7.6, 7.9 at 250rpm

Offline fil_auto

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 03:31:38 PM »
Fan FDUKin tastic FD Jit and an absolute FDUKin steal! ;O
Safe journey, njoy the race ... Oh and GLWTS, not that you\'ll need it ;)

Offline batman

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 08:48:26 AM »
sorry to take the mic jit but is this a uk rx so taxable at 2.6 not 1.3 ? ??
REAL MEN PLAY WITH TWINS     :Laugh

Offline weskereric

• MRC Overseas Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 09:56:41 AM »
it\'s an import not a uk one

Offline Rzla

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 10:49:47 AM »
Yup they didnt make any fds in the uk after 95

Offline batman

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 07:38:06 PM »
ah thanks wasnt sure
REAL MEN PLAY WITH TWINS     :Laugh

Offline Jit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 12:31:01 AM »
Sorry only just saw this. It is an import. It\'s registered as a 1.3L
Thanks for the kind words phil!

Offline d6277n

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 01:23:08 PM »
Very nice. GLWTS.

Chris.
=============================
Black 1995 Type RB Bathurst X, 310fwhp
=============================

Offline Shaq

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »
i have seen this car in the flesh, very nice stock example.
GLWTS jit.

shaQ
12.7 on stock twins @ 1 bar (i reckon i can do better!)

DannyIt

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 12:21:59 PM »
Hy, Jit
You\'ve a very nice stock example, and I want buy it, but I\'m from Italy.
It\'s difficult to import the car in my country?
I think, I see your car in june, and after that, if I like the car, I buy it, pay you cash money, and I turn back italy.
I\'m in London in 24-25-26-27 June, you live near london?
I\'ve the hotel near the tower bridge.
Thanks a lot.