- progress has been slower than I would have liked, but I deliberately haven't set myself any deadlines as I really enjoy working on the car when I do get some spare time. Diff and rear axle are S2 and I ran the car on the road for a year after an initial "quick fix" period, just to shakedown any possible issues. That revealed a rear axle seal leak, brake binding, diff housing corrosion, failed clutch slave cylinder, but the engine pulled really well (160k miles on the clock with undocumented rebuild around 90k). Having enjoyed some driving on the road I decided she was good enough to do a much more thorough restoration, primarily to sort out the rust underside (which isn't too bad for a 31 year old car!), and that's still the current focus of work.
A few pics of work since the last update:-
I decided the diff and axle were salvageable, so got a local machine shop to weld up the holes and cut a new thread for the fill plug to fit a proper bolt with crush washer. Once I got that back I thoroughly cleaned the whole axle and diff housing and gave them both the full POR-15 treatment.
After clean up:
Axle housing after POR-15
Diff, before and after;
Suspension arms going through the POR-15 treatment, ready for Energy Suspension re-bushing;
Fuel straps getting the POR-15...