Author Topic: Turbo leaking oil  (Read 695 times)

greg_whit_se7en

Turbo leaking oil
« on: June 04, 2004, 04:02:02 PM »
Cars back together but I\'ve got a problem with oil coming out of the cold side of the turbo (out the top bit that goes to intercooler). Its also coming out of the oil inlet flange but i\'m putting that down to not tightening that enough. How might it be getting out of where it is?
(I dont know a great deal about turbos as you can tell).
Greg

Offline 20B_boy

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reworx.com
Turbo leaking oil
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 06:38:23 PM »
Oil is coming out of the compressor housing from the outlet that goes to the intercooler? Air gets sucked in the front, compressed and pushed out the outlet - so I cant think of any other reason than the turbos oil seals being knackered? unless you have a blockage in the turbo oil drain thats making it get forced past the oil seals?
R.

Offline MikeLMR

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Turbo leaking oil
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 06:40:10 PM »
wouldn\'t a knackered oil seal also explain why your car is smoking somewhat as per your other post

greg_whit_se7en

Turbo leaking oil
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 07:27:32 PM »
Yeh oil seals going would explain it, BUT would good seals still leak if they were put under too much pressure (without sufficient oil drain diameter?) as I\'ve used about 9mm I/D pipe for the inlet AND drain (stock twins have 2x 18ishmm I/D drains).

Offline Wav

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theburbz.com
Turbo leaking oil
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 07:46:15 PM »
The oil drain from the turbo should have a much larger inner diameter than the oil inlet pipes. So this could be your problem, as that would explain why oil is being forced out of every other hole possible:eek: :(. But generally oil getting into the compressor side of things would mean kanckered turbo oil seals. I\'d get a much bigger drain on there asap and hopefully your turbo will stil be ok:)

Good luck, Paul

greg_whit_se7en

Turbo leaking oil
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 05:23:33 PM »
OK, I\'ve took it off to have a look. These are my findings, although I\'m not sure what I\'ve found.
There is a lot of oil going down the exhaust (deffo the smoke causing stuff). The Red arrow on the 2nd pic shows a gap where oil is getting out I think (I\'m pulling it back to show how big it is).
Is this the rear seal gone, or is it missing a part? Anyone able to help?

And couldnt help doing this :-)

Oh and this is my turbo info (finally):

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
Turbo leaking oil
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 09:55:59 PM »
Hiya,

You need to make up a bigger drain than you have as this is probably the cause of your problems provideing the Turbo is in good nick,

You should be able to adapt a stock drain pipe by cutting it in half and joining it with a piece of heat resistant hose.

Hope this helps
All the best Clive

Offline bin liner

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
Turbo leaking oil
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 12:11:10 AM »
Your oil feed line is three times the size it should be.You need a -3AN feed. You also need to make your drain a -10 or -12, bigger is better here.
Definately want it mate but the dog has just died so will be getting the missus a new dog for christmas....
Sounds like a good deal but will have to ask the dragon first.....  :flamed  :spank

igy

Turbo leaking oil
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 03:27:31 AM »
You have 3 problems.  #1 the oil inlet is def to big.  #2 the oil drain is def to small.  #3  the inlet should go in the top and the drain(gravity fed) should come out the bottom.  Change to a 3AN going in and a 10 or 12 AN coming out and it should be good.  It will smoke for a while after you fix it because you have to burn off the oil in the exhaust, but it should gradually get better(I have seen this take as long as 2 hrs).  After you have fixed it, if you have oil smoke at high rpm\'s(when the oil pressure goes up) then you will most likely need a restrictor in the feed line.

igy

Turbo leaking oil
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 03:34:54 AM »
Nice turbo by the way!  What diesel truck did you yank that off of?  TD/TA/T 45\'s work very well on rotaries.  Wait till you get that thing up over 20 psi, can you say HOLD ON!

greg_whit_se7en

Turbo leaking oil
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 06:51:34 AM »
Its a TD45, have a look at one of the pics above (its got details on it).
I took the core assembly to The Turbo Centre in Derby, getting the verdict today. Wonder how much they try to rip me off by :-)

Greg

Offline bin liner

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
Turbo leaking oil
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 10:29:55 PM »
Nice to see you on board IGY:)
Definately want it mate but the dog has just died so will be getting the missus a new dog for christmas....
Sounds like a good deal but will have to ask the dragon first.....  :flamed  :spank