Author Topic: Cliff\'s 1st Gen Purchase - Goldie  (Read 21612 times)

Offline CHC

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Cliff\'s 1st Gen Purchase - Goldie
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 08:34:22 PM »
Quote from: captainbizzaro;725208
Welcome to an exclusive club Cliff.:D

Ditto Tim - that makes a couple for us now I think. Tell me, do you feel special ? Or is it just (like myself) forgotten to remove the latex gloves after washing the engine down :evillaugh:evillaugh
1983 1st Gen Series 2 Elford Turbo - the New \'JAZ\'

Offline CHC

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 09:13:59 PM »
Bit of a disaster today, my Range Rover has had rad problems for the last week and instead of collecting it today got the news that the water pump & thermostat both need replacing :eek::eek::eek: I\'m supposed to be collecting Goldie tomorrow ! :flamed
So I\'ve had to hire a vehicle with tow bar and also hire trailer so now back on track for tomorrows collection. This just has to be :InLove for the fb

Offline antnicuk

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 09:43:23 PM »
was this on ebay for a little while?
400 BHP - 650 KG\'s = 616 BHP Per Ton of Rotary Power

That\'s the way to do it! :Thumbsup!

Offline CHC

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 10:31:20 PM »
Quote from: antnicuk;725230
was this on ebay for a little while?

Yeh - came on last weekend I think - hadn\'t seen it before then

Offline CHC

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 10:56:04 PM »
Quote from: myatt1972;725041
Just looking at the pics Cliff, the clutch master reservoir looks very close to the air filter or is it me?
Have you got a front bumper with the car (i dont have a spare by the way)
Keith...

Collected Goldie today Keith - looked at the clutch maser cylinder and turns out it\'s a bodged job. The lad was given the car from his uncle and he intended to us it as a drift car eventually.  Whilst he was \'playing around with it\' the master cylinder required doing but suppose he didn\'t have the cash to buy a new one.  He went to the local scrap yard and bodged one together and this was the ebd eresult - thats coming out and a proper one shall be installed (not having and s***e in this car - actually none of my cars).
So yes Keith - well spotted (suppose you want some house points for that do you?).
:)

Offline CHC

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 11:05:05 PM »
Well guys, here are the 1st picks of Goldie.  Doesn\'t really look that good but suppose it could have been a lot worse.
1st job is to get her inside and under cover and empty her so that I have a scout around and see if/what are the obvious faults - and a few more picks of cause.

Offline CHC

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 11:12:35 PM »
Quote from: David Nock;724945
Is that sunroof black metal or glass? Do tell as soon as.

Well guys went to collect Goldie today and what a shock I got with the sunroof.  It fooled us all, it is actually \'a colander\' - well okay a lot of metal where loads of rust monkeys have spread their seeds .... haha.  Good job I\'d already settled my heart on metal, that way I wasn\'t disappointed.
:rollin

Offline CHC

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2010, 11:15:28 PM »
Quote from: myatt1972;725041
Just looking at the pics Cliff, the clutch master reservoir looks very close to the air filter or is it me?
Have you got a front bumper with the car (i dont have a spare by the way)
Keith...

Front bumper supplied with car mate.

Offline CHC

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 11:18:52 PM »
Apparently the Goldies original engine had tip failure so a good replacement was fitted - this is a 12A S2 with under slung oil cooler.
Whether this engine actually works  - well time will tell.

Offline Ian65

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 09:23:06 AM »
Glad you got it home safe Cliff.... it always seems to be a long day when fetching cars and then sorting trailers etc doesn\'t it?!
I wouldn\'t worry about it looking a bit scruffy cosmetically, it\'s what\'s underneath that counts!
As you know from restoring JAZ, these are actually very easy cars to work on (unless you decide to crack the engine itself open ) and are more enjoyable and easier to restore than comparative cars of the era.

The last 3 cars I\'ve restored have been 2 1981 Spitfires ( which consisted of a load of rust held together by underseal and a 2.8i Capri which has all the panelwork welded on so all the outer panels have to be cut off to fix the shell)

At least with 1st gens, all the panelwork forward of the windscreen just unbolts for restoration / replacement and gives great access to the structural parts and by the time you\'ve dropped the doors, rear bumper and sunroof off, there isn\'t much left!

The stripped front end of my car...

and then with some new paint on it...

That said, the structural integrity of the shell is everything.... the usual 1st gen rust spots. If these are ok then you\'ve got a good base for a nice restoration to your own high standards.
The other bit you want intact is the main loom. If this has been hacked, you can spend months trying to fault find no end of electrical gremlins.

If, after you\'ve surveyed it, you decided that you\'ll be restoring this car, you\'re welcome to raid my spares collection. I haven\'t got tons of stuff but might have that elusive part you need.

Ian

Offline CHC

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 11:37:29 AM »
Must agree with you there Ian, the RX7 is quiet an easy structure to work with. Although I never did any major stripping to the bodywork of JAZ I did, as you know, have some of the major rust areas to tackle. In saying that though, I really did enjoy the work and wasn\'t put off the possibility of working on others as and if the case were to arise - it has arisen and I\'m looking forward to what ever challenge Goldie now has to offer or throw at me.
The Dragon came with me to collect yesterday and I said the very same thing - ignore the patchwork, that\'s just a colour change. I had a initial poke around and the areas of access do seem to be reasonable but we all know how underseal can hide a multitude of sins don\'t we.
I dare say by the time I\'ve finished looking at her bodywork, there\'ll be quite a bit more discolouration but I don\'t care, the finish will be the telling and proof of my justification to save this old girl from ? ....... well god only knows really.
Thanks for the offer to sift through your spares (rotorshed), might perhaps take you up on that at a later date but surprisingly from what I\'ve already seen on Goldie, the major missing panels and other pieces I already have from JAZ. I\'m sure there will be some bit here and there that I can\'t get elsewhere so I\'ll let you know. I too have some left overs so if I can help, I shall.
Right going out now to have a better look and find a better home so that I can work on her in the dry and warm with power laid on.

Offline CHC

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 09:02:41 PM »
Well I managed to empty Goldie today of all her spare parts, the rear seats and have a good sniff round at all the potential bad areas - what a pleasant surprise to find solid metal.  Still needs a proper investigation but will need to re-colour code the interior first - any comments or suggestions welcome after seeing the photos below ......

:rollin

Offline CHC

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 09:08:55 PM »
Quote from: CHC;725358
Collected Goldie today Keith - looked at the clutch maser cylinder and turns out it\'s a bodged job. The lad was given the car from his uncle and he intended to us it as a drift car eventually. Whilst he was \'playing around with it\' the master cylinder required doing but suppose he didn\'t have the cash to buy a new one. He went to the local scrap yard and bodged one together and this was the ebd eresult - thats coming out and a proper one shall be installed (not having and s***e in this car - actually none of my cars).
So yes Keith - well spotted (suppose you want some house points for that do you?).
:)

How about a close up of the bodged clutch master cylinder ...... but what vehicle has it come off ?

Offline CHC

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 09:13:28 PM »
Quote from: A7RXY;724986
Cliff, if he has a spare working electric aerial and you dont want it please let me know.

Dibs

Sorry Dibs - no electric aerial at all.  Why even the one fitted to Goldie is busted but as there is no radio fitted, doesn\'t need aerial.  I\'ll have to hum or something when I\'m working on her.

Offline captainbizzaro

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 09:13:55 PM »
So thats why the rear quarter lights are green!