Author Topic: My test drive of the RX8  (Read 7863 times)

Offline Carl

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mazdarotary.co.uk
My test drive of the RX8
« on: September 24, 2003, 07:43:43 PM »
hi all,
I would like to give a few thoughts on my RX8 test drive.

First off when I saw the car in the flesh it looked much better than any picture ,you could spend quite a time just soaking up all the angles and curves.Pictures just don\'t do it justice.
The model I tested was the hi power one in a really nice metallic red.
I was allowed to take it out on my own. After a few pointers as to the whereabouts and operation of the controls I was handed the keys.
On startup the engine immediately burst into life, this car has done just over 6000 miles so is well run in.The engine settled down to a steady 700 revs as it was already warm from previous test drives.
Upon engaging the clutch I found it to be light and once used a few times I easily adjusted to it\'s feel.
This car is very easy to drive. After negotiating a bit of town traffic I soon had settled into a comfortable driving position,this car would be great for long journey\'s.
The response of the engine suprised me greatly with plenty of low down torque inspite of not being turbocharged.
Having owned many rotary Mazda\'s over the years including all of the RX7\'s and RX3\'s and having driven the 20b 3 rotor Cosmo I can honestly say that the RX8 tops them all.This is a rotary for the 21st Century!
The engine is so much better refined than any previous rotary there is no jerkiness at low revs in a high gear that has been associated with them in the past,This must be down to the revised porting with no overlap.
The RX8 may not have the outright go of the RX7 3rd gen but I would say that in the right hands it would easily keep up with the RX7 on a circuit.
The engine pulls solidly throughout the rev range right up to the  9000 revs red line with a noticeble pull from around 6000 revs.
It is the sum of the parts though that make the drive very rewarding.
The lack of vices in the handling help the RX8 to shine,it is very predictable with excellent feed back both through the steering and suspension.
I found the gearbox to be very positive but with one small problem,when downchanging from 6th gear to 5th it is inclined to try to go into 3rd which could under certain conditions cause the engine to overev,the trick is to keep the lever over hard to the right when changing in this manner.
I also discovered that for me, seeing as I am pretty tall, the rearview mirror got into my line of forward vision but this has to be located low on the front windscreen in order to be effective in seeing out the back window.I could manage with that.
The interior is very well put together and is also in keeping with the exterior,I found it very comfortable and tried out the back seat for room and found it to be pretty good.This car had satellite navigation in it amongst many other goodies.
I took the car onto a dual carriageway and cruised  effortlessly for a while,I can really see this being a good car for long journeys.
I think that for business use it will be a very attractive package too.
On the twisty bits the car handles very well and you feel in control the whole time, this is helped by the engine that has a very linear power delivery.
Overall my first driving impression of the RX8 is that it is a winner!
It is a fabulous car that really does justice to the rotary engine, and is truly innovative. Not only that but it is practical too with generous accommadation for 4 adults,but still enough of a sports car for some serious fun factor.
it was with a little reluctance that I had to hand the keys back,but I am sure that anyone who owns or drives one of these cars will be pleasantly suprised at just how good the RX8 is.
It has been well worth the wait!!Thankyou Mazda for persevering with the rotary!
Kind regards
Carl:)

Offline 20B_boy

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reworx.com
My test drive of the RX8
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 08:08:31 PM »
A4 just past the Shell garage yesterday by any chance?

Saw my first (red) \'8 yesterday or the day before - cant actually remember now!

Looked quite nice in passing, better than the pics I would concur.

R.
R.

Offline Carl

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mazdarotary.co.uk
My test drive of the RX8
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 10:22:12 PM »
Hi Rich,
yes I did at about 12.20 pm.
did it look good in motion?
Kind regards
Carl

Offline 20B_boy

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reworx.com
My test drive of the RX8
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 11:56:01 PM »
Hmm, 12.20 - pretty sure it would\'ve been later than that - probably 2.30pm at the earliest... perhaps they were out with some one else. I was heading toward the Fox & Hounds, \'8 was coming back into town (toward Newb. Mazda perhaps)...

Didnt recognise it to begin with - kind of "umm...neat car....oooo! its an 8!". Looked pretty smooth, not a fan of red cars but its real nice deep looking red. Lots of interesting lines to look at, more than I had time to appreciate n passing thats for sure.

R.
R.

Offline fdman

• View Profile
    • http://
Carl\'s RX-8 Test Drive
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 12:33:19 AM »
Dear Carl,
Thank you for your great review. I viewed the RX-8 at my local dealership on friday, but did not take a test drive. It is good to read such a positive review from a knowledgeable enthusiast.

fdman
rexman

aaureo

My test drive of the RX8
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 03:30:28 AM »
Have one,
Worth every cent. This is the kind of car you instantly fall in love with.

Offline Glenn Butcher

• MRC
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mazdarotaryclub.com
My test drive of the RX8
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 05:56:47 AM »
aaureo!

What model of the RX-8 do you have?  got any pics.?

How many are on the roads around where you live?

I almost see one every second day here in Sydney - there is only around 500 on the road here I think at this stage.
Thanks,

Offline Mark Ide

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
got to agree
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003, 11:50:51 AM »
Guys
I\'ve just got back from a run in a hi power manual in titanium from TW Whites in Orpington, Kent (**very friendly, helpful etc)
Got to agree, this car is awesome. Handles nicely, v well behaved compared to a 13B and although it can\'t pull away 1000 rpm (!) it certainly doesn\'t feel un-torquey (if such a word exists).
It certainly is not slow! You need to train yourself to watch the digital speedo as it\'s vv easy to go toooo fast on the motorway when the road is clear, and boy, it pulls well!
The ride is good, you know if the road is rough but only in terms of hearing, not loosing your fillings, and I fitted (6\'1) comfortably in the back. Boot\'s about as big if not bigger than my 2nd gen and yes they do use semisynthetic in it.
They had several around the back waiting delivery, mostly grey, some red (my two fav colours) then one silver (which you could I suppose grow to like) and one black, which also looked good. NO yellow/blue/green. Most of the reds had the 2 tone inside which seems nice but the interior is so well done that thew all black in the one I drove seemly totally fine.
There\'s room for car seats in the back (an issue for some of us!) and you can easily disable the front airbag for a seat there too, which is a v cool idea if you have kids.
Also lots of places to put stuff and the whole is quality. Next task, take my wife to the dealers..............
Regards
Mark
:)