Author Topic: Cars @ the Course - Windsor Race Course 26th September 2010  (Read 1121 times)

Offline JIM.E

• View Profile
    • http://jimrx8evolve.webs.com/
Cars @ the Course - Windsor Race Course 26th September 2010
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 09:52:32 PM »
Looking forward to this ....

List So far
RX8OC
JIM.E - Jim and Mel
GreySilver Beast - Nigel
AcceleRX-8ted - Ken and Dawn
Azcry - John
Countzero - Alan & Jen(?)
Boo5ter +2
Goldie - Adam
G3 - Graham
ScottyR3 - Scott
barriej - (possible)

Planet MX5
amx5b - Andy & Bev
John - (possible)
Nick & Jane

MRC
Clive & Lisa
0000matt0000
Al & Scarlette
JIM.E
MX5 2.0i Sport Tech Roadster Coupe
Stormy Blue Mica

Offline Lisa

• MRC Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 09:31:59 AM »
Weather  forecast looking good, lets hope it stays that way:cool:cool

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Windsor-UKXX0158
REgards

Offline JIM.E

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 02:27:53 PM »
Hi All

We have a couple of meet points on the way to the event itself

7.55am Popham Services (east bound on A303)

8.45am Entrance to Legoland

or....the event itself

Please let me know if you intend to meet along the way so I know who to expect and where / when

Thanks
JIM.E
Stormy Blue Mica

Offline GreySilver Beast

• Major Contributor
    • West Sussex
    • View Profile
    • N.P.T.Communications
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 05:31:58 PM »
A heads up,that I will be at Legoland either in the Coach/Bus Ride Car Park or at the bottom of the Main Entrance :yes
Nigel - GSB-TDU

Offline JIM.E

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 02:36:27 PM »
List So far as at 2.30pm 22nd September

RX8OC
JIM.E - Jim & Mel
GreySilver Beast - Nigel
AcceleRX-8ted - Ken & Dawn
Azcry - John
Countzero - Alan & Jen
Boo5ter +2
Goldie - Adam
G3 - Graham
ScottyR3 - Scott
R8EUG
barriej - (possible)

Planet MX5
amx5b - Andy & Bev
John - (possible)
Nick & Jane

MRC
Clive & Lisa
0000matt0000
Al & Scarlette
JIM.E
Stormy Blue Mica

Offline madder

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 12:41:46 AM »
have rejigged weekend to suit

RX8OC
JIM.E - Jim & Mel
GreySilver Beast - Nigel
Azcry - John
Countzero - Alan & Jen
Boo5ter +2
Goldie - Adam
G3 - Graham
ScottyR3 - Scott
R8EUG
barriej - (possible)

Planet MX5
amx5b - Andy & Bev
John - (possible)
Nick & Jane

MRC
Clive & Lisa
0000matt0000
Al & Scarlette
Madder

Offline GreySilver Beast

• Major Contributor
    • West Sussex
    • View Profile
    • N.P.T.Communications
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 11:18:43 PM »
Updated List.

RX8OC
JIM.E - Jim & Mel
GreySilver Beast - Nigel
Azcry - John
Countzero - Alan & Jen
Boo5ter +2 -Col
G3 - Graham
ScottyR3 - Scott
R8EUG - Eugene
barriej - (possible)
Gonefishing - Al & Lorraine

Planet MX5
amx5b - Andy & Bev
John - (possible)
Nick & Jane

MRC
Clive & Lisa
0000matt0000
Al & Scarlette
Madder - Tom

Look forward to seeing all of you there tomarrow :)
Nigel - GSB-TDU

Offline JIM.E

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 03:59:07 PM »
Good to see everyone who came along today - hope you all had a good time

Think we had 19 cars in total

3 MX5\'s

4 RX7\'s

1 RX4

11 RX8\'s

Thanks to Graham for bring along the gazebo and flags etc

Thanks to John / Ken for the stand passes / flyer idea / spec sheets

Thanks to Alan for photos
JIM.E
Stormy Blue Mica

Offline Freddy

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.Trans-Cars.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2010, 06:29:04 PM »
Saw a lot of Porsche\'s through Windsor today. Shame I was far away from the FD!

Someone get pics up!

Offline countzero1971

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Flickr page
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 10:12:11 PM »
and here are my photos from today

Never send a ferret to do a weasel's job

Mazda history
2002 323F Sport (gone)
2009 Mazda 3 Sport diesel (gone) https://flic.kr/p/ekYymb
2004 RX8 (gone) https://flic.kr/p/GJhkUf
1999 MX5 https://flic.kr/s/aHskcj62uT
2016 Mazda 3 Sport Black [url]https://flic.kr/s/aHs

Offline Big Al

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 10:55:59 PM »
Thanks JIM.E for getting us all together, it was nice to meet other owners, that I hadn\'t met before, kick tyres  and  have a chat. ( Andy this is the beer bellied, grey haired old man  :WaveBye )    

All in all an enjoyable day, with only one real negative observation. Something which comes from experience.

I do object to paying, per person,  to enter a car into a show where profit seems to be paramount. Without the exhibitors cars there would be no show, no rake off from the trade stands, burger stalls etc. WE paid to exhibit cars which ultimately, along with other exhibitors, made the show work..... so without cars, no show ??

This unfortunate greed first surfaced many years ago. I am proud to be one of the founding members of \'Sunny Sunday\'. Not a Jap show, the same priciples applied though. Eveyone spent whatever they could improving their cars. We had then, they still have, a free show. See Niks photo\'s elsewhere on here. American classic, hot rods, etc share a beautiful site for nothing. It is packed with people who want to look at these cars. Ask if you would like to know my cars at the time. Oh! by the way... the traders paid for the site.

If it is a Club show then, if we need money a payment should be made.... this is a damn good Club.

OK I\'ll get my coat........enough said.

Al

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/I]

bought not built

Offline JIM.E

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 12:32:56 PM »
There have been a few comments across the forums (RX8OC, PlanetMX5 & MRC) re yesterday. So in reply….

The logistics of the meet up along the way, Popham, Legoland etc all went really well – time to spare for photos at Legoland and bar a solitary Scooby we were the first of the JAP section to arrive – just about dead on 9am

General I think everyone enjoyed themselves and our positioning next to the facilities – food & drink , play area, toilets etc couldn’t have been better.

My contact (via emails that eventually totalled 5 pages) was aware that we would be arriving at 9.00am with around 15 cars with up to 5 more to follow on and each car would have a stand pass (thanks Ken) a copy of which the organisers also had well in advance.

Clearly the marshals were given no information at all and were instructed to park everyone in lines facing the course.

I guess they didn’t know how many cars to expect – their ‘informality’ with the event i.e. not knowing who was coming or booking by Club took away the opportunity to have better displays for all – there was a lot of space left over and we could have done something far more interesting.

CHP were trying to evolve their ‘Porsche Picnic’ to make it a bigger event by tacking on their other magazine titles – it sort of worked but still very much Porsche dominated.

With regards to the cost £7 per person – having been to lots of shows, it’s sort of the norm, however I do agree that if we and the Scooby’s weren’t lined up than the JAP section would have been very poor – I estimate our group would have spent out somewhere in the region of £200-£250 for the privilege of ‘attracting’ in paying members of the public – I guess the same could be said for the Fait Coupe owners in the Auto Italia section.

It will be interesting to see how CHP Japanese Performance Mag report the day in the next issue and what coverage we are given – I think we must have been the single biggest JAP group on the day.

All of the above said, for me it did not detract, as I have said before the event is made by the people – so for me it achieved its objective of being a fun day out with good company.

If we decide to go again next year then I will bring the Yacht and see you all over at the marina for drinks.

Cheers
JIM.E
Stormy Blue Mica

Offline countzero1971

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Flickr page
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 01:13:08 PM »
my yacht wont fit in the harbour so will be arriving by helipcopter next year, one of my people will deliver the car:cool
Never send a ferret to do a weasel's job

Mazda history
2002 323F Sport (gone)
2009 Mazda 3 Sport diesel (gone) https://flic.kr/p/ekYymb
2004 RX8 (gone) https://flic.kr/p/GJhkUf
1999 MX5 https://flic.kr/s/aHskcj62uT
2016 Mazda 3 Sport Black [url]https://flic.kr/s/aHs

Offline GreySilver Beast

• Major Contributor
    • West Sussex
    • View Profile
    • N.P.T.Communications
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 11:07:08 PM »
I bring the Motorhome next year :cool,so as Mel,Dawn & Jenifer can keep warm :D
Nigel - GSB-TDU

AcceleRX-8ted

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 06:52:38 PM »
Well, after what seems like weeks of planning, posting, pms etc. etc.   the day finally arrived, dry and cold with sunny intervals.  Here\'s my  viewpoint on the day.  Feel free to add your own highlights and if you  have them points to improve on at future events.

The ‘convoy’  began forming at Popham services and Jim took the lead on to Legoland  after declaring ‘I won’t be going fast’.  Let’s just say our line of Rex  would have cut a fine ‘^’ formation up the M3.

At Legoland we  met up with the remainder of the ‘convoyees’ and were promptly moved to a  gravel carpark by the ‘L’ security.  Alan reminisced about wet days in  the same car park leaving the cars covered in cr*p, so the weather was  kind to us this time.  Jennifer took the convoy photos with Alan  muttering about not getting everyone in with the angle she’d initially  chosen.  The photos posted shows she did and Nigel stepped in to fill in  the names on the photo comp thread.  Either I p***ed Nigel off during  the day or I need to try harder to be memorable(!) as he missed me off  the list of names, simply stating ‘MX5’. Now I may have open top hair  but my Rex hasn’t. (just read your update, no offense taken or intended )

One  lesson learnt from the convoy was not everyone knew where we were going  and Alan took the two Planet MX5 cars and me on a tour of Windsor’s  speed bumps after traffic lights split us up from the leaders.   Eventually, I took the lead and from my memorised aerial view of  Windsor’s roads on Google got lucky and found the course in 30 secs.

Now,  some words have already been posted about the £7 per passenger entrance  fee for a car show where we were providing the primary focus of the  Japanese cars present (that sums up my thoughts).  We also learnt that  the organisers didn’t need us to have a stand pass to help them, just  our money.  

Once there and parked up next to the food, toilets  and children’s park, things were looking up and thanks to Graham we soon  had the flags and club event shelter up. Clive and Lisa arrived in  their yellow RXs and it has to be noted that the RX4 received a lot of  deserved attention.  There were several fine RX7s that I didn’t get  round to talking to, maybe next time.

A fettling session quickly  erupted with micro-fibre flexing reaching parts that my Rex hadn’t been  subject to before when I saw what some of the others were up to.  Graham  also passed on an actual use for cotton buds, cleaning the boot hinges.   Alan and Jim commented on the shine I had achieved.  The photo of my  head being shinier than my Rex, may be true but the ‘halo’ makes me  appear purer than everyone knows I am.

Thanks go to VelocityRXB  for the loan of his Mazda sign.  I tried to get a ‘gurning’ competition  going but there were no takers after they saw my effort, without pulling  a face.  John and Nick (MX5) got into the spirit though (see photos)

Our  plans for even better photos than the excellent spread by Alan were  scuppered by the ‘organisers’ lining up the Subaru attendees less than  one car length in front of us.  Worth noting this for future events.

By  now, even allowing for bacon butties and hot chocolate, we had begun  feeling the cold and the ladies took cover in the shelter.  Believe me,  when I see ladies with those smiles in spite of the cold, it sends  shivers down my spine.  Jim, Alan and I are now waiting to find out the  cost.

Several trips round the other cars and auto jumble made it  clear this was a Porsche and Beetle main event.  The detailing stands  were a welcome addition and raided our pockets with some of the great  deals on offer.

Once back at our cars, the forum discussion  circle soon formed and good natured banter ensued, with me flitting in  and out of the topics, to tend to partners needs and show some people  round cars and chat with the Planet MX5 guys and gals.

When I  finally got the look from Dawn and she got in the Rex to get warm, I  knew the time had come to wave the white flag to the cold, which had  finally beaten the enjoyment had from being with our friends.  We got  there at 9am and left around 2.30 when, not too bad considering.

Thanks  for a bbbrrrilliant day out go to all who attended from the MRC and  PlanetMX5 and of course Jim for his perseverance, Graham for coming the  furthest with club stuff, Alan and Jennifer for the photos and Nigel and  Mike for being the regular meet whores as well as forum ones. (OK Col  Jim as well) (Eugene )

Here’s to many more Wessex Group meets, there’s certainly plenty to choose from.