Author Topic: Mx7? rx5? Newbies build thread begins  (Read 23590 times)

Offline Steve-A

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Mx7? rx5? Newbies build thread begins
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2010, 07:12:24 PM »
Wooooo 3rd time of running the car, and no more bubbles. Think it must have just air locked a bit when we quickly filled her up to get home yesterday.

Yet again I\'ve a crap week for work (fingers crossed september is better!), so I\'ll get the cooling system sorted out properly over the next few days.

I also found the source of the slight petrol smell I was getting at times yesterday. One of my new braided lines had touched the starter motor and it has arced and melted the line :s:S:S:S:S:S:S:s Disconnected the battery as soon as I saw that, and I\'ll get that sorted before I run the car again. Doing the fueling system in a rush to get to rotorstock did worry me some, and justifiably so it would seem!

Oh well it didn\'t catch fire, which when there\'s sparks and petrol involved is pretty good going. Judging by how this afternoons going, I\'m off to buy a lottery ticket!
1984 Rx7: Gold. Edging towards roadworthyness!

Offline Will66

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2010, 07:25:17 PM »
This looks like one hell of a little car in the flesh, I love the sleeper appeal of it.  Stand fast the bootlid (which looks very striking).  It\'s a straightforward NA* MX5 from the outside but has a smooth rotary under the bonnet.  It will surprise people that way!
RX8 High Power, Cusco Coilovers, Dotz wheels and flames. Shoe Size 12

Apparently putting details of your car spec in your signature means the nice folks on exile-rotorsport think you\'re a fool.  I can think of no higher compliment!

"Eat it with a chopstick!"

Offline Steve-A

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2010, 08:47:41 PM »
I made the most of today, I should have more work on for september, which is good news for money and bad news for days spent on the car!

First up I improvised a bead maker to use on the alu tube that caused me to drop all the coolant on the way home from rotorstock.

Then I set about the fuel leak problem I\'d discovered. In this photo you can see the damaged line.

I\'ve replaced the section that goes by the starter with hard line, so that it has no chance of flapping about and causing the same sortta problems.

This is where the day ended, I\'ve just gotta assemble the intake and sort the small leak from the oil cooler tomorrow.

Coming in from working on the car to find I\'d got a couple of shots on speedhunters was awesome :) A nice end to the day.

Offline Steve-A

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2010, 09:45:05 AM »
The good news is I\'ve done 100ish miles since my last post and the coolants still in the car where its meant to be, no signs of water seal damage. The fuels staying where its meant to say too, I repositioned the tank breather a bit and I\'m no longer getting any fumes in the cabin which is a bonus. :) On the whole its all looking good.

Yesterday I also did a bit of tweaking to the throttle linkage. Previously the slack in the linkage meant the secondary throttle plates opened a few degrees after the primary plate. This meant the secondary plates never quite locked fully open, they were only a couple of degrees off though, didn\'t look like it\'d make any difference. Now having taken the slack out of the system they all open exactly together, all the plates lock out together.  I\'ve had to add fuel at WOT, and I\'m sure I\'ve gained a few hp :)

Its going to the exhaust shop tomorrow morning to have a diffuser fitted to the tip to try and take a little drone out of the motorway driving. Which leaves the only current engine problems as the slight oil leak from my oil cooler and the speedo drive. Once thats done its time to save up for some new suspension and I\'ll need new brake pads soon so I\'ll go for the larger 1.8 disks, pads and caliper carriers.

Offline rossonza

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2010, 04:39:30 PM »
power power power :) haha. How did the fin install go?
email @ rossonza@gmail.com
1984 FB series 2 in gold

Offline papercutout

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2010, 08:56:19 PM »
Just read the whole thing - what a great thread! Good work mate, wish I had as much general knowledge as you (I\'m working on it though)...!

I saw the car at Rotorstock, but now wish I\'d read this before and said hi etc!

Offline Zarterone

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2010, 10:33:09 PM »
I just found this thread :o

were have I been

great work well done :god

Paul
RX8 40th Anniversary in White, a MX5 MK1 and a Renault  Trafic for work (its not a spelling mistake that\'s the way Renault spell it)

Offline Steve-A

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2010, 08:46:53 PM »
Cheers guys :)

Unfortunatly this is the current state of the car....

The small leak that I\'ve always had with the oil cooler has got worse over the last couple of days.

I thought it was the knackered crush washer causing the leak. But having investigated further the oil cooler itself is cracked :(

The oil leaks now at a stage where I cant really drive the car till I\'ve got a new cooler. :( If anyones got an FC oil cooler about the place please let me know!

I\'ve also been back to the exhaust shop to have a diffuser fitted to the exhaust tip to try and cut some of the drone on motorway/cruising. Its worked very well but the design they\'ve built for me seems to also whistle a little.

This fits in the very tip of the exhaust. According to megasquirt I\'ve lost no volumetric efficiency by fitting it despite it looking like quite a restriction the tip is the coolest slowest flowing section of the exhaust so least critical.

I think I\'m gonna try and make my own diffuser along the lines of the ones used by a few guys on the american rx7club forum, as in this picture, to try and keep the reduction in volume but also not whistle!

Its quite disheartening that I don\'t seem to be able to drive it for more than a couple of days at a time without running into a problem :( Ah well, onwards and upwards....

Offline TiddlesRX7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2010, 09:26:49 PM »
Your always gonna have problems like this when you first start driving a project like this. I wouldn\'t worry too much. You\'ve done so much so quickly and got it on the road and working that in itself is awesome. In a few weeks you\'ll have forgotten all about these little problems cause you\'ll be driving an awesome rotary MX5 :)
I don\'t need to upgrade my stock turbo to beat your ass!

Get your finger out, get it on the road and start driving it then!!! (B.Martin 25/2/12)

Offline shaunwil

• Extra Special Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2010, 10:43:24 PM »
Can you not patch the oil issue up with chemical metal while you look for a replacement ? Give Tim at rx motors a ring to see if he has one, he has a huge array of second hand stuff !

These are all teething problems and once sorted you will get to use it plenty :D

Shaun
1994 White FD with A-spec GT3574R - 358bhp at the hubs at 0.9bar :3gears-lh
2003 Mondeo 2lt 130ps Diesel Estate Daily :driving

Offline Steve-A

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2010, 11:15:01 PM »
I did consider trying to bodge the cooler with chemical metal/rtv silicone or whatever, but I felt the rate at which its now leaking from the crack if my bodge failed I\'d soon loose all my oil and hurt the engine. I can borrow the girl friends car or ride my motorbike for a couple of days.

I\'ll drop Tim a call, thanks for the pointer Shaun.

I\'ve cheered up a bit now I\'ve sat down had some food and a nice glass of cider. Was just a bit stressed out and irritated to have to ride my motorbike in the rain this evening rather than drive the car :P

Offline antnicuk

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2010, 11:30:03 PM »
its not been motorbike weather.  I have stopped riding mine to work.   I have a stock turbo II oil cooler you can have for a small drink plus postage.  I have recently removed it from my kit car to fit a bigger mocal one.   Its a turbo 2 one, i assume its the same, it looks like yours.
400 BHP - 650 KG\'s = 616 BHP Per Ton of Rotary Power

That\'s the way to do it! :Thumbsup!

Offline papercutout

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2010, 08:33:01 AM »
It\'s motorbike weather here atm, so use the excuse and have fun!

Ring round all the rotory places, they\'ll have something. Alternatively Pete might have one (pdtaylor) or Prof, because they just seem to accumulate stuff!

Offline Steve-A

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2010, 09:12:59 AM »
Antnicuk, I believe they are the same, so I\'ll take you up on that offer! Please drop me an email at steve.atterbury@gmail.com and we can sort out money and delivery :) Thank you, I really couldn\'t have done this without the support and knowledge of the MRC community :)

When its dry its been alight bike weather, as its been warm but not super hot, but riding in the rain sucks. I did it for 2 years before I got a car but after my 2nd winter I\'d had enough! It wasn\'t the ice or rain but freezing fog that really got me. When you arrive at your destination and a layre of ice has frozen over your jacket and gloves its quite cold!

Offline Nik da Greek

• Banned user
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2010, 09:29:26 AM »
I got no choice but to ride about in the rain too atm. That\'s the beauty of having a rotary daily driver hahaha, it spends most of the time off the road forcing us to enjoy our beautiful British climate on two wheels